The Student Room Group

Mistakes parents make on Results Day

Scroll to see replies

Original post by returnmigrant
Can I make a further plea to parents?

Take them to Uni. Give them a big kiss. Then GO AWAY.

We did this - but have since had disapproving comments about how other parents stayed longer. A parents place is always in the wrong.
Original post by parentlurker
We did this - but have since had disapproving comments about how other parents stayed longer. A parents place is always in the wrong.

We won't have to worry about that now - our daughter's university is right in the city centre of Dublin, a thirty minutes direct bus ride from home and she has attended public talks and debates throughout her senior school years. She knows the campus better than we do!
Reply 62
"You're such a failure of a son, how dare you only get 3 out of 4 A*'s, you're going to Durham now, not Oxbridge you imbecile".
Reply 63
I got a B at AS level and my mum was dissapointed that I didn't get an A*.. eventhough that's impossible at AS level.
Original post by Becca-Sarah
BBC News have come up with a list of 10 mistakes parents make on Results Day - have you made any of them today? :erm:

Got my As results and my parent's comments were mostly good and sincere however now they keep repeating that...

"When I did Olevels no one got an A grade, C was the equivalent of an A nowadays, and I managed to get C's and B's without doing half as much work as you've done" - they both did 5 olevels....

"You obviously wouldn't of got anywhere near the grades you got without your tutor, hard work alone could not of got you what you got" - I had one tutor for one subject once a month from November...... obviously me putting hours of work in didn't help at all...
Reply 65
Original post by Jack93o
I thought it was a pretty funny article from the beeb :lol:

hehe same
Original post by Tom78
"You're such a failure of a son, how dare you only get 3 out of 4 A*'s, you're going to Durham now, not Oxbridge you imbecile".

My daughter feels your pain - she missed her grades for Oxford. Durham has a fantastic reputation though. NO ONE should be admonished for getting into Durham, for goodness sake!
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
My daughter feels your pain - she missed her grades for Oxford. Durham has a fantastic reputation though. NO ONE should be admonished for getting into Durham, for goodness sake!

Durham is also a lovely city. My son has several friends who went there - they all love it. It is rumoured to be home to Europe's worst nightclub, but it's also very close to Newcastle.
Original post by Tom78

Woah! I just looked at your grades again - you are just joking, aren't you? Three A*'s??!

Surely you wouldn't miss your place with those grades...
Woah! I just looked at your grades again - you are just joking, aren't you? Three A*'s??!

Surely you wouldn't miss your place with those grades...

I think it was intended as a joke.
-Focusing only on the negative side of the results. I got 9A* and a B. All my mum replied was 'a B, what went wrong'.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I think it was intended as a joke.

I'm so glad - I guess that I'm still a little sensitive after my daughter's disappointment. The sad thing is, even if she missed out on Oxford she actually got great results and is going to an excellent university. She doesn't see that though and is resisting our suggestion that we would like to take her out for a celebration meal - she doesn't think there is anything to celebrate.

These students are hard enough on themselves - as the theme of this thread shows, we as parents need to make sure that we keep any reservations to ourselves and emphasise the positive to our children. Show them their options (and there are many) and just be a stable support for this next step in their lives.
Reply 72

Don't worry, I wasn't studious enough to be given such offers! I'm at a second rate Uni in Birmingham, I'm sure it has a great reputation for something, probably not anything academic though :tongue:
Lolz my parents didn't even know it was my results day at the time.
Original post by Tom78
Don't worry, I wasn't studious enough to be given such offers! I'm at a second rate Uni in Birmingham, I'm sure it has a great reputation for something, probably not anything academic though :tongue:

Aston?
I'm so glad - I guess that I'm still a little sensitive after my daughter's disappointment. The sad thing is, even if she missed out on Oxford she actually got great results and is going to an excellent university. She doesn't see that though and is resisting our suggestion that we would like to take her out for a celebration meal - she doesn't think there is anything to celebrate.

These students are hard enough on themselves - as the theme of this thread shows, we as parents need to make sure that we keep any reservations to ourselves and emphasise the positive to our children. Show them their options (and there are many) and just be a stable support for this next step in their lives.

I'm sorry for your daughter's situation. They need to be given a little time to grieve for their lost dreams.
Reply 76
Original post by Chukkeigh
Aston?

Nah, City. And I'm just playing around, the Business School's good and that's all I care about tbh.
My mother always gets too involved before and after I get my results. She either checks on me every 0.2 seconds or follows me around the house and when I get my results I get like 50 texts messages from her (always with friends on results day and don't go home just go straight to celebrating) which include her trying to organise a meal out that night even though she's fully aware I am with friends. She also ruins the surprise for others by telling them before I can so it always feels flat when I try to tell people.

She's supportive and she means well but she gets so in my face. Off to Uni now so she won't know what's going on and I can finally get some independence!

Posted from TSR Mobile
When parents who are from abroad believe what their kids say about their grades :

PARENT (Typical desi accent): *Adjusts glasses on the end of their nose and squints down at the little letters on your sheet you just gave them* 'E'? Vat does 'e' mean? :deal: Ju pass eh?

KID: Erm yeah, 'E' means 'Excellent' :colondollar:

PARENT: Ohh. Wery gud :clap2::congrats:*walks off*

KID: :hahaha:*Pheww*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Summer Rose
When parents who are from abroad believe what their kids say about their grades :

PARENT (Typical desi accent): *Adjusts glasses on the end of their nose and squints down at the little letters on your sheet you just gave them* 'E'? Vat does 'e' mean? :deal: Ju pass eh?

KID: Erm yeah, 'E' means 'Excellent' :colondollar:

PARENT: Ohh. Wery gud :clap2::congrats:*walks off*

KID: :hahaha:*Pheww*

Hahahahaha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending