The Student Room Group

World war or cold war?

With the tension between Russia and USA at the highest since the fall of the iron curtain, what type of war will ensue between these countries as the solution to the Ukrainian crisis doesn't seem in sight. Plus, to what extent would China benefit if these two get into a long, slugged out war like the Cold war or which side would they back if they decide to join in on a world war between them?
Reply 1
There won't be a world war, Putin is smart enough to know he could not win.

In Ukraine there's essentially a proxy war as there was in Syria before ISIS.
Original post by Rakas21
There won't be a world war, Putin is smart enough to know he could not win.

In Ukraine there's essentially a proxy war as there was in Syria before ISIS.

I also believe that there wont be a world war but even in June/July 1914 and after the Munich conference they thought a war wasnt going to happen and look at how they turned out! Events can escalate so quickly that its not out of the realms of possibility.

Saying that theres a poxy war im guessing more a cold war conflict is what you believe. I also think this but i cant see where the next conflict would be in. Would Russia support Hamas or ISIS? Doubt it.

What do you think will be the next conflict these two will get involved in?
Reply 3
Original post by Lets be real!!!
I also believe that there wont be a world war but even in June/July 1914 and after the Munich conference they thought a war wasnt going to happen and look at how they turned out! Events can escalate so quickly that its not out of the realms of possibility.

Saying that theres a poxy war im guessing more a cold war conflict is what you believe. I also think this but i cant see where the next conflict would be in. Would Russia support Hamas or ISIS? Doubt it.

What do you think will be the next conflict these two will get involved in?

Proxy wars will spread across the Middle East over time, Iran is sponsored by Russia and is engaged in a Sunni/Shia conflict. Africa is not known for stability.

The cold war never ended, it simply took a pause between 90-08.
Reply 4
World War 3 will end up with a situation like Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

I hope it happens.
Reply 5
Original post by Rakas21
Proxy wars will spread across the Middle East over time, Iran is sponsored by Russia and is engaged in a Sunni/Shia conflict. Africa is not known for stability.

The cold war never ended, it simply took a pause between 90-08.

A third world war may occur, but the probability of nukes being used is still unlikely. You need to consider that the nukes the UK possess (less than 100) can obliterate and entire continent. If the US or Russia do decide to launch nukes it is game over for everyone on the planet due to the nuclear fallout affecting everyone. I don't think Putin or Obama is willing to commit mass genocide just yet.

On another note, I do believe we are on the edge of another war with tanks rolling across Poland and Germany once again. If so, whoever begins to win the war will ask for a truce, otherwise the other nation will say "**** i, launch the missiles" which goes back to my last point.
Reply 6
Original post by Stevelee
A third world war may occur, but the probability of nukes being used is still unlikely. You need to consider that the nukes the UK possess (less than 100) can obliterate and entire continent. If the US or Russia do decide to launch nukes it is game over for everyone on the planet due to the nuclear fallout affecting everyone. I don't think Putin or Obama is willing to commit mass genocide just yet.

On another note, I do believe we are on the edge of another war with tanks rolling across Poland and Germany once again. If so, whoever begins to win the war will ask for a truce, otherwise the other nation will say "**** i, launch the missiles" which goes back to my last point.

I don't see a world war or invasion of Europe occurring for those reasons.

Putin so far has only attacked unimportant and officially unaligned nations. Putin is also smart enough to know that he would not win given EU air and naval superiority and the Lisbon Treaty does obligate that the entire EU act before we even consider NATO.
Reply 7
Original post by Rakas21
I don't see a world war or invasion of Europe occurring for those reasons.

Putin so far has only attacked unimportant and officially unaligned nations. Putin is also smart enough to know that he would not win given EU air and naval superiority and the Lisbon Treaty does obligate that the entire EU act before we even consider NATO.

Russia is establishing good diplomatic relations with China and on a lesser scale to Brazil and India. If we take a look at the worse case scenario and what could happen in lets say 10 years time... the world will be a terrifying place.
Freezing cold war brrrrr!
Reply 9
Russia is establishing good diplomatic relations with China and on a lesser scale to Brazil and India. If we take a look at the worse case scenario and what could happen in lets say 10 years time... the world will be a terrifying place.

China would sell Russia to the wolves before it did anything to threaten its trading relationship with the USA. Russia and its allies like Iran are our only concern.
Original post by Rakas21
China would sell Russia to the wolves before it did anything to threaten its trading relationship with the USA. Russia and its allies like Iran are our only concern.

Yes china would, but am looking at a war in maybe 10 years times. With a potential proxy war occurring the Far East (Japan and Korea) China, might be more willing to support Russia, also. Everyone said another world war two wouldn’t occur due to the world’s economy being intertwined. That was a lie.
Yes china would, but am looking at a war in maybe 10 years times. With a potential proxy war occurring the Far East (Japan and Korea) China, might be more willing to support Russia, also. Everyone said another world war two wouldn’t occur due to the world’s economy being intertwined. That was a lie.

I'm not sure who said that but protectionism, economic strife and imperial facism was rampant in the lead up to WW2. Before FDR there was actually a possibility of war between the USA and Britain.

There is a regional problem in Asia with Japan probably about to rearm and signing defense agreements with others who have issues with China but see little reason for Russia to be involved or for China to need their aid.
Original post by Rakas21
I'm not sure who said that but protectionism, economic strife and imperial facism was rampant in the lead up to WW2. Before FDR there was actually a possibility of war between the USA and Britain.

There is a regional problem in Asia with Japan probably about to rearm and signing defense agreements with others who have issues with China but see little reason for Russia to be involved or for China to need their aid.

Yes, America was actually planning to attack. Who knows how that would have impacted WW2 when it eventually would have happened.

With the Russia sanctioning western produce, they are depending more on china and India. Recently they did sign a new gas line (or gas supply I can’t remember) between china and Russia.

The presence of America in the Far east with major bases in Japan and Korea and with the instability of north Korea make me feel that this will be the spark if it was to all kick off.
Yes, America was actually planning to attack. Who knows how that would have impacted WW2 when it eventually would have happened.

With the Russia sanctioning western produce, they are depending more on china and India. Recently they did sign a new gas line (or gas supply I can’t remember) between china and Russia.

The presence of America in the Far east with major bases in Japan and Korea and with the instability of north Korea make me feel that this will be the spark if it was to all kick off.

WW2 would never have occurred. Germany would have taken the lands they wanted in Poland, Austria and France while Britain would have been busy with the USA. There's little evidence I believe that Britain was actually going to be invaded though its clearly preferable not to have Nazi's across the sea.

Sure but that's fairly meaningless.

China will keep North Korea in check.
Original post by Rakas21
China will keep North Korea in check.

Lets hope, otherwise **** may get real very fast!
Instead of me arguing constantly on the side of Russia for every single new discussion that appears I'm just going to post you to this video

http://youtu.be/AXqdWBwadLk

Spend an hour and listen to him it's honestly worth it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest