The Student Room Group

TSR's articles feedback thread

Have you got a suggestion for how we can improve an article on The Student Room? Have you seen an error that's crept in somewhere?

If the article is an unlocked piece in the wiki, you can make changes yourself. You just need to be a member.

For all other articles you can leave a note for the TSR community team on this thread. We review all feedback regularly.

Please post below using the following template, and thanks for helping us to make The Student Room even more useful! (please copy and paste all the text - including the quote tags - so that I see your feedback!)

[noparse]
shooks
[/noparse]
Hey! I've spotted something in this article: [NAME OF ARTICLE HERE] [ARTICLE URL HERE]
Please take a look at the following:
[DETAILS OF THE ISSUE HERE]
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
shooks

Hey! I've spotted something in this article: Five ways Michael Gove has changed GCSEs and A-levels http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4793-Five-ways-Michael-Gove-has-changed-GCSEs-and-A-levels
"One TSR user laid out her hope that new education secretary Nicky Murray, Gove's replacement for at least a year, will reverse the decision to remove the popular books from the English literature reading options."
New education lady is Nicky Morgan, not Murray :mmm:
Original post by Aula
Hey! I've spotted something in this article: Five ways Michael Gove has changed GCSEs and A-levels http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4793-Five-ways-Michael-Gove-has-changed-GCSEs-and-A-levels
"One TSR user laid out her hope that new education secretary Nicky Murray, Gove's replacement for at least a year, will reverse the decision to remove the popular books from the English literature reading options."

Good spot! Thanks for taking the time to give us a heads-up. Now fixed. :smile:

numberwang
Original post by Aula

Reply 4
Original post by shooks
Good spot! Thanks for taking the time to give us a heads-up. Now fixed. :smile:

Original post by Numberwang

No worries. Too much tennis brain? :mmm:
Original post by Aula
No worries. Too much tennis brain? :mmm:

Somebody was next to me banging on about The Thick of It, actually, and I think I had the character Nicola Murray in my head...
Where did the idea come from that Maths and English GCSEs can only, in future, be resat in November, not in June? Ibelieve this to be false. The November exam can only be taken by Year 12 and above, but they are equally able to take the June exam.
Original post by tiny hobbit
Where did the idea come from that Maths and English GCSEs can only, in future, be resat in November, not in June? Ibelieve this to be false. The November exam can only be taken by Year 12 and above, but they are equally able to take the June exam.

Thanks for your feedback! :smile: - do you have a source for this? I have a teacher's word that Year 12s will only be able to resit once in November.
Thanks for your feedback! :smile: - do you have a source for this? I have a teacher's word that Year 12s will only be able to resit once in November.

So it's down to my word (as a teacher) against your teacher. I searched various bits of the Edexcel site before posting in the first place, since your statement worried me. We are intending to carry on in the same way as we have in the past, i.e. those with an E do Maths all year and resit in June, those with a D resit in November and then again in June if necessary. We are talking Year 12, 13 and, if they're still with us, 14.

So do you have a (written) source for your theory?

Original post by tiny hobbit
So it's down to my word (as a teacher) against your teacher. I searched various bits of the Edexcel site before posting in the first place, since your statement worried me. We are intending to carry on in the same way as we have in the past, i.e. those with an E do Maths all year and resit in June, those with a D resit in November and then again in June if necessary. We are talking Year 12, 13 and, if they're still with us, 14.

So do you have a (written) source for your theory?

I've checked this and it was a bit of a misunderstanding.

What was meant is that in November only Maths and English will be able to be retaken as opposed to other subjects which can now only be resat in June.

Maths and English can be resat in both November and June. We've altered the wording of the article slightly to try and make this clear.
Reply 10
Hey! I've spotted something in this article: [Top questions from A-level results day 2014]

In the video at the bottom (my problem is video specific), Numberwang suggests that students ask the university they're holding an unconditional offer with release them before they start calling unis about clearing offers. I think this is bad and potentially dangerous advice. Having gone through this exact process in the past few days, I can say that I have not needed any UCAS clearing number whilst ringing a potential clearing university. I only asked my unconditional firm to release me after receiving and confirming an offer in writing from a different university. Advising students to be released into clearing before even ringing universities could lead to them being trapped in clearing with no offers whatsoever which could be catastrophic for them.

I also spotted some strange language.
Numberwang, our editorial assistant, explains gives advice on what to do if you're unhappy with your firm.

Spoiler

shooks

Hey! I've spotted something in this article: A-levels vs the IB: Which qualification should I go for? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4626-A-levels-vs-the-IB-Which-is-for-me
1. In the Group 2 subject section, it says 'There is are number of languages available, including Latin and Greek.'
2. I've read most of the article, but I don't think at any point it explicitly says that you can choose not to do a Group 6 subject and do a subject from another Group - this is a very important point.
3. From my knowledge, everyone has to take a Group 5 subject which is either Mathematics/Computer Science. The article says that 'some students will be asked to take a Group 5 subject'

(4. If you want to make the article a bit more debate-y, you could probably point out the IB vs A level grade inflations. I personally think the IB has more pros, especially at this moment in time. I'm heavily biased for the IB, but that's just an idea)
Original post by Cerdic
Hey! I've spotted something in this article: [Top questions from A-level results day 2014]

In the video at the bottom (my problem is video specific), Numberwang suggests that students ask the university they're holding an unconditional offer with release them before they start calling unis about clearing offers. I think this is bad and potentially dangerous advice. Having gone through this exact process in the past few days, I can say that I have not needed any UCAS clearing number whilst ringing a potential clearing university. I only asked my unconditional firm to release me after receiving and confirming an offer in writing from a different university. Advising students to be released into clearing before even ringing universities could lead to them being trapped in clearing with no offers whatsoever which could be catastrophic for them.

I also spotted some strange language.

Thanks Cerdic. We've taken that video out for the time being and will replace it with a reworded version at a later date.
Original post by Bude8

Hey! I've spotted something in this article: A-levels vs the IB: Which qualification should I go for? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4626-A-levels-vs-the-IB-Which-is-for-me
1. In the Group 2 subject section, it says 'There is are number of languages available, including Latin and Greek.'
2. I've read most of the article, but I don't think at any point it explicitly says that you can choose not to do a Group 6 subject and do a subject from another Group - this is a very important point.
3. From my knowledge, everyone has to take a Group 5 subject which is either Mathematics/Computer Science. The article says that 'some students will be asked to take a Group 5 subject'

(4. If you want to make the article a bit more debate-y, you could probably point out the IB vs A level grade inflations. I personally think the IB has more pros, especially at this moment in time. I'm heavily biased for the IB, but that's just an idea)

Thanks Bude8. We'll take a look into these points and get the piece updated asap.
Original post by Bude8

Hi I'm the author of the article

:smile:

1) grammar lapse from me, completely agree

2) I thought I'd said you have the option to do an Art, but I guess not. Bude8 is completely correct

3) I don't know why it says you have the option to do a Group 5, as I wrote in my original you have to do Mathematics (Group 5 is exclusively Maths now as CS has been changed to Group 4)

In all honesty, I don't know enough about grade inflation to make a succinct debate about it.
There's a problem with spam adverts for essay writing services using your wiki - afaict they're not linked to from other pages but they do show up when you search for 'essay writing service'

e.g. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Coursework_Writing_Service

which has already been blanked a couple of times and reinstated by a vandal and a couple of others that have stayed blank
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Thesis_Writing_Service
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Term_paper_writing_service
(but with tsr still storing the original text in revision history)

users blanking these pages isn't ideal as the history shows vandal accounts will simply login and reverse the action.

probably they just need a severe permanent nuking but going forward I don't have any bright ideas about stopping it happening again apart from assigning someone to keep an eye on oddball wiki edits.
Hey! I've spotted something in this article: 11 things a level students wish they'd known http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=6929-11-things-A-level-students-wish-they-d-known
12th thing.... Wish they'd known about The Student Room!
Hey! I've spotted something in this article:
Graduate entry medicine - a guide
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide
In the "Graduates on the 5 year course" section it states that "The usual A-level requirements then apply as you're applying alongside the school leavers. " This isn't necessarily true, for example the 5 year course at Durham I've just had an offer for only required a 2:1 degree classification and placed no emphasis on A levels for graduates
shooks

Hey! I've spotted something in this article: [Graduate entry medicine - a guide] [http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?postid=64378319&r=15889-graduate-entry-medicine-a-guide]
Warwick have changed their work experience requirements to be 70 hours within two years at time of application. Caring for close family and friends doesn't count. You have to get verification by form of letter of your experience. Criteria for 2016 are:
" - Discovering what it means to be a member of the medical profession
- Experience of providing personal care to individuals outside of close friends or family
- Experience of a healthcare environment, ideally that of today’s NHS
The types of experience that we value include voluntary work in a nursing home, care home, hospice or hospital volunteer as well as employment in professional healthcare roles. As a general rule, what you have learned from your experience is more important than the overall length of time you spent. However, the minimum commitment we would expect to see is the equivalent of 2 weeks full-time (70 hours) across the last two years, completed by the time of your application."

Also they moved their interviews to January.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending