The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here! 21 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by happysmile
Hello, are 6A* 3A 1B good enough grades to study medicine at a decent uni - I'm assuming Oxbridge's out of the question, so Imperial, perhaps? Thanks :redface:

If you get AAAB or AAAA at AS I don't see why most unis wouldn't accept you based on grades, obviously you'll also need a convincing personal statement, reference and interview (if relevant). Medicine's so competitive though so best of luck!
Reply 41
Original post by Mayabee
Physics B
Chem A
Bio B
English B
Bangla A*
Maths A
Puremaths C
Econ B
Accounting C

im an international student from Bangladesh, are my results good enough for getting into good unis? I am really disappointed in my results honestly.

Hi, I am also international student (I think or may i am not but i hold as thai and british citizenship)
Yout results are looking good :smile:
What course do you want to do in term of further education?
How long have you live in the Uk?
Original post by Billylstone
I hope to take further maths, maths, economics and classics :biggrin:

You've gone with your strengths, which is always the best thing to do (after what you enjoy, of course). Taking a B in GCSE to A-level is difficult though (Took a B in Physics at GCSE up to a D in AS after lots of work), so make sure you keep on top of any issues you may come across within the course and don't be afraid to ask for help. Other than that, the best of luck in your AS year!
I got 3a*s in maths bio and chem, 5a and 4b

Would that be good enough for medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, well I got my gcse results yesterday and I'm really disappointed and I was wondering if there would still be a chance for me to be come a graphic interior designer.
Art - B
Science Core - C
Science Additional - C
Religious Education - A
English Literature - B
Mathematics - C
English Language - D
Geography - D
French - D

I'm going to retake English but I wanted to know would I still be able to go university with grades like this or would I be able to become a graphic interior designer.
I just needed 8 to be able to the courses I wanted now it's probably impossible.😩
Reply 45
Wondering if these results are good enough for law at Oxbridge or a Russel Group uni?

A* English lit
A English lang (could go up to A*)
A* Maths
A* Latin
A* Ancient Greek
A Additional Maths (A is max)
A Physics
A Chemistry
A History
A* French
A* German
A* Classical Civilisation
A* Biology

I just wonder if 4 As is too many to be able to get into oxbridge?

(All boards were IGCSE apart from OCR for: add. maths, latin, greek and class civ. and then AQA for history)

Thanks for any advice
I got 7Bs and 2As in German and ICT and a C in drama I've always wanted to do astrophysics at cambridge but i feel like now it wont happen. These grades were unexpected i was predicted A*s and i worked hard. :confused:
I got 5BS and 5Cs and I am going to retake English language which I got a C in and remark Biology and chemistry as I was only a few marks off a B, but I just want to know would these grades limit my chances to go to a good university to study a course like accounting and finance.
I got 7 As and 5 Bs and I really want to study Law at Oxford but I don't know if it's good enough? I'm taking Psychology, RS, History and French at A Level. I wanted to do English but they said no because I got a B :/.
Anyway, is it ok for Oxford? Please help!
I got my results yesterday

Additional Science: A
Core Science: A
Economics: A
French: A
History: A
English lang: A
English lit: A
Maths: A
ICT : B
Art: A*

Tbh i kind of expected more A* at least in maths english and history as i was actually predicted an A* in these subjects. With these grades what are the chances of me doing a history degree of a finance related degree? Pls help
:frown:

I just wanted to ask if these are good enough to do the following subjects at Alevel

Maths
Economics
English Lit
History

thanks
:smile:
Original post by hettyu347
I got 5BS and 5Cs and I am going to retake English language which I got a C in and remark Biology and chemistry as I was only a few marks off a B, but I just want to know would these grades limit my chances to go to a good university to study a course like accounting and finance.

It depends on what universities you're after. There are plenty of people who got into amazing universities without the typical golden number of A*s! You could try calling up the universities you're after and ask them directly!
Original post by Fluffystar123

Tbh i kind of expected more A* at least in maths english and history as i was actually predicted an A* in these subjects. With these grades what are the chances of me doing a history degree of a finance related degree? Pls help

I just wanted to ask if these are good enough to do the following subjects at Alevel

Maths
Economics
English Lit
History

thanks

Your grades are absolutely fine :biggrin: congrats :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Maths
Economics
English Lit
History

thanks

Those are more than enough to those A level choices, depends upon your sixth form though. But those are usually enough. I achieved A in maths, B in economics(I'm usually an A* in both maths and economics) A in lang and an A in lit and I have been accepted. So good luck :smile:
Those are more than enough to those A level choices, depends upon your sixth form though. But those are usually enough. I achieved A in maths, B in economics(I'm usually an A* in both maths and economics) A in lang and an A in lit and I have been accepted. So good luck :smile:

Yeah my sixth form accepts grades form A*-C, but ive heard that people who got an A at maths Gcse are most likely to get C's D's and E's at maths alevel. It kind of scares me :eek:

Also did you do maths and economics alevel? if you did does maths become really hard when you come to the C3 and C4 modules? Should i drop it after AS? I dunno :confused:
Reply 54
I just received my results, I got 6 a*, 5 a, and 1 b. Are these results good enough to get into medical school with? I would've liked a few more a*s to be fair...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah my sixth form accepts grades form A*-C, but ive heard that people who got an A at maths Gcse are most likely to get C's D's and E's at maths alevel. It kind of scares me :eek:

Also did you do maths and economics alevel? if you did does maths become really hard when you come to the C3 and C4 modules? Should i drop it after AS? I dunno :confused:

I wouldn't listen to people saying if you gen an A you will get an E-what a load of ****. lol
However I could see that they're indicating that you didn't get an A* and thus not capable of good A levels, but that's just because it can potentially indicate you didn't work that hard. Which is rubbish, because I personally was getting A*'s and working hard as ****, yet exam pressure got to me and I got easy questions wrong: Point being they're valid reasons as to why it doesn't indicate Cd at a level.
it's entirely depends upon how hard you work and most importantly not to fall behind, other than exam pressure. You will be fine, don't let people deter you. I was a D in additional science last year, and my predicted grade was D, but I got a B. So don't listen to predictions as it's dependent upon the individual in my opinion.

Sorry for illiteracy btw, bit stressed at the moment.
(edited 9 years ago)
I got a C in gcse eng language would cambridge still accept me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't listen to people saying if you gen an A you will get an E-what a load of ****. lol
However I could see that they're indicating that you didn't get an A* and thus not capable of good A levels, but that's just because it can potentially indicate you didn't work that hard. Which is rubbish, because I personally was getting A*'s and working hard as ****, yet exam pressure got to me and I got easy questions wrong: Point being they're valid reasons as to why it doesn't indicate Cd at a level.
it's entirely depends upon how hard you work and most importantly not to fall behind, other than exam pressure. You will be fine, don't let people deter you. I was a D in additional science last year, and my predicted grade was D, but I got a B. So don't listen to predictions as it's dependent upon the individual in my opinion.

Sorry for illiteracy btw, bit stressed at the moment.

Thanks for your reply :smile: it was very helpful

If you dont mind me asking what subjects did you choose for A level?
Thanks for your reply :smile: it was very helpful

If you dont mind me asking what subjects did you choose for A level?

Well I'm doing A level Maths, further maths, economics, and classics.
Might drop classics at A level after As as I don't like essay writing, but it depends if i need it for lse.
Well I'm doing A level Maths, further maths, economics, and classics.
Might drop classics at A level after As as I don't like essay writing, but it depends if i need it for lse.

Wow those are really good subjects and also challenging. You must be really smart :u: Sorry for so many questions, but what are you planning to study at Uni and are you currently in Year 12? And is economics challenging at Alevel too?

Quick Reply

Latest