The Student Room Group

AS Accounting, Business Studies or Economics?

Hey :smile:
I'll be repeating 2 A2 subjects this September and the college that I have applied to won't allow me to study only 2 subjects so I have to pick up an AS. To be honest, I'd prefer to do an AS that isn't stressful because I want to focus my time on my retakes. Subjects that are essay based are not my strong suit. I love maths so I'd prefer to do a subject that involves maths (and less essays). Which one should I do? Thanks in advance!
Bump
Bump bump bumpity bump
Bumppppp
Reply 4
I only know about economics but AS has 1/3 multiple choice and 2/3 essay sort of questions. I wouldn't say its extremely heavy essay based and for AS im sure you can get at least a B/A without too much effort tbh

Accounting probably has calculations you need to do so maybe thats more up your streak?
Original post by Jkizer
I only know about economics but AS has 1/3 multiple choice and 2/3 essay sort of questions. I wouldn't say its extremely heavy essay based and for AS im sure you can get at least a B/A without too much effort tbh

Accounting probably has calculations you need to do so maybe thats more up your streak?

Thanks for your reply! In your opinion, do you think economics will take up too much time of my studies? I really wanna focus on my retakes but economics does look interesting.
Reply 6
Original post by LostInStereo123
Thanks for your reply! In your opinion, do you think economics will take up too much time of my studies? I really wanna focus on my retakes but economics does look interesting.

During my AS, economics didn't really take too much of time. I think the hardest part is learning the core information of each topic and being able to apply that sort of information to various questions. After that, its kinda cake imo.

Exam wise, i can only speak on behalf of AQA which is a 1.25 hr exam. 25 Multi choice which can catch you out but tis ok. The essays aren't as difficult as one imagine. Theres a 5 mark q basically asking you to define a term (Yes, you get 5 marks for maybe 1-3 sentences), an 8 mark for data analysing (you dont even need economic knowledge to do this well).
After that theres a 12 and 25 which you need to start pulling your socks up for.

I think it is quite interesting, especially if you can incorporate a personal interest into it as a form of real word example - not very hard since economics is everywhere - e.g. Someone who likes video games can relate a lot to stuff like the video game crash etc.

I personally would take it :smile: Are you getting lessons at the college from it? That would help a lot too!
Original post by Jkizer
During my AS, economics didn't really take too much of time. I think the hardest part is learning the core information of each topic and being able to apply that sort of information to various questions. After that, its kinda cake imo.

Exam wise, i can only speak on behalf of AQA which is a 1.25 hr exam. 25 Multi choice which can catch you out but tis ok. The essays aren't as difficult as one imagine. Theres a 5 mark q basically asking you to define a term (Yes, you get 5 marks for maybe 1-3 sentences), an 8 mark for data analysing (you dont even need economic knowledge to do this well).
After that theres a 12 and 25 which you need to start pulling your socks up for.

I think it is quite interesting, especially if you can incorporate a personal interest into it as a form of real word example - not very hard since economics is everywhere - e.g. Someone who likes video games can relate a lot to stuff like the video game crash etc.

I personally would take it :smile: Are you getting lessons at the college from it? That would help a lot too!

Hmmm I kinda wanna take up economics now haha but I'd be doing it under OCR. And yes, I'll be getting lessons at college :wink:
Reply 8
Hmmm I kinda wanna take up economics now haha but I'd be doing it under OCR. And yes, I'll be getting lessons at college :wink:

Yeah ocr is quite a popular board, so theres plenty of help on TSR

Having a quick flick through one of the paper for AS, the paper looks slightly smaller but more time - then again you dont have a multi choice, rather a lot more short answer questions (I would actually prefer since theres more room to blag :P)

Should be all good still !
Original post by Jkizer
Yeah ocr is quite a popular board, so theres plenty of help on TSR

Having a quick flick through one of the paper for AS, the paper looks slightly smaller but more time - then again you dont have a multi choice, rather a lot more short answer questions (I would actually prefer since theres more room to blag :P)

Should be all good still !

Ooh okay that seems fine then. Thanks again for answering my question! I'm leaning towards economics now :biggrin:
Hey :smile:
I'll be repeating 2 A2 subjects this September and the college that I have applied to won't allow me to study only 2 subjects so I have to pick up an AS. To be honest, I'd prefer to do an AS that isn't stressful because I want to focus my time on my retakes. Subjects that are essay based are not my strong suit. I love maths so I'd prefer to do a subject that involves maths (and less essays). Which one should I do? Thanks in advance!

Economics since it's not seen as a 'soft' or as some may say a 'mickey mouse' subject. Also, I presume it has more maths than Business.
Original post by lilacunicorn
Economics since it's not seen as a 'soft' or as some may say a 'mickey mouse' subject. Also, I presume it has more maths than Business.

Ahh have you studied it?
Ahh have you studied it?

No, although LSE states both Accounting and Business in there non-preferred list of a levels. As long as 2 out of 3 of your A2's are in the preferred, you should be fine. I also know they state Art and Design in the list, however I'm still doing it alongside the rest of my preferred subjects. Good luck :smile:
Original post by lilacunicorn
No, although LSE states both Accounting and Business in there non-preferred list of a levels. As long as 2 out of 3 of your A2's are in the preferred, you should be fine. I also know they state Art and Design in the list, however I'm still doing it alongside the rest of my preferred subjects. Good luck :smile:

Oooh tbh I'm not fussed if the subject I choose is considered as a preferred as I'm just doing it to get into college. But thanks anyways! And good luck to you too with everything :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest