The Student Room Group

What wider reading should I do to discuss in my personal statement ?

I'm finding it really difficult to start; since English Language is a non-vocational degree they like it when you discuss what reading you have etc. But then how do I discuss it without sounding like I am lecturing the person reading it?
I wanted to read some books to get a head start and make sure I sound like I know what I'm talking about. Any books you would recommend?

Thanks in advance:smile:
Reply 1
Anything by David Crystal as an overview, then delve deeper into what interests you. Personally, I didn't apply for English Language, but I did study it at A Level and did a lot of extra reading for coursework etc. If you're at all interested in the way sexuality affects speech, I know some great titles.

As for the process of actually including it, start by studying the personal statements on TSR; use them as examples to help you.
Reply 2
Original post by hrowe
Anything by David Crystal as an overview, then delve deeper into what interests you. Personally, I didn't apply for English Language, but I did study it at A Level and did a lot of extra reading for coursework etc. If you're at all interested in the way sexuality affects speech, I know some great titles.

As for the process of actually including it, start by studying the personal statements on TSR; use them as examples to help you.

Hi, thanks for your reply. What books would you recommended for how sexuality affects speech? I did do some wider reading for the course, but unis prefer wider reading that's not directly related to the course, but more to do with your interest.
Original post by Sonia97
Hi, thanks for your reply. What books would you recommended for how sexuality affects speech? I did do some wider reading for the course, but unis prefer wider reading that's not directly related to the course, but more to do with your interest.

What do you mean by "sexuality affects speech?" Fiction or nonfiction? Are you looking for things that address gender identity or sexual orientation more? A primarily feminist or more queer theoretical focus? Re speech, are you looking for a linguistics focus? Philosophical, or structuralist? Socially discursive? Concerning pop culture or concentrated on the individual? Or any combination of those?

I've found that the more specific you can get about what you're looking to explore, the easier it is to know where to look, reading-list wise. Plus, it'll better direct further expansion. That said, Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality, Vol. 1 is something of a sacred text for the study of relationships between social discourse and sexual identity, so take a look and see if that stokes your interest.
Reply 4
Original post by merqoperatic
What do you mean by "sexuality affects speech?" Fiction or nonfiction? Are you looking for things that address gender identity or sexual orientation more? A primarily feminist or more queer theoretical focus? Re speech, are you looking for a linguistics focus? Philosophical, or structuralist? Socially discursive? Concerning pop culture or concentrated on the individual? Or any combination of those?

I've found that the more specific you can get about what you're looking to explore, the easier it is to know where to look, reading-list wise. Plus, it'll better direct further expansion. That said, Michel Foucault's History of Sexuality, Vol. 1 is something of a sacred text for the study of relationships between social discourse and sexual identity, so take a look and see if that stokes your interest.

Im interested in a combination of all; I want to read as much as I can and then chose one to focus on if I enjoyed it the most. I will check out the book, thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending