The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I have a small question, can a high B be changed to an A* in arabic? (most of the exam is writing essays)
How likely do you think it is to gain 3 raw marks across 3 units of chemistry?
Reply 182
Original post by KAWK
Can someone please explain the iGCSE RS grade boundaries? I got A star in one, 92, and 83 in another (A). Is this worth a remark?

I guess you probably need 80 for an A so I wouldn't remark that one - it's too far away from the next boundary and it could go down. :sadnod:

Original post by jack7456
Hey guys,

I recently got my results back yesterday from studying GCSE English. And the results said a D. But this was too close to the next boundary which was obviously a C. I came out with 174 and I only needed 6 more marks to get a C. Is there any point in getting my paper/controlled assessments remarked if so why? Or if there is not any luck in achieving this until I resit/have to resit GCSE English. Please explain.

Thanks.

I hope one of you can help me very soon.

Yours Sincerely,

Jack M

:smile:

If your controlled assessment was first marked by a teacher and then a sample was sent off to be moderated by the exam board, then the whole centre's controlled assessments will need to be remarked (you can't have individual ones remarked). 6 UMS is a fair amount but I'd try a remark here as scoring at least a C grade in English is very important. :smile:

Original post by SSAA9
Hello, I got A in my core science and I really wanted an A* ( it was my personal and predicted grade) I'm 5 marks of from an a*, so I want to know if it's worth me sending all 3 exams for remarks or retakes. I dunno know if I want 3 more exam as well as other exams in y11. I'm really confused, please help! I'm worried if I decide to do something like medicine or dentistry, universities might ask for a* in science gcse :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's probably not worth it tbh - it's unlikely for marks to change in the sciences and 5 UMS is quite a bit. :sadnod: An A grade is still great!

For Medicine, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Looking at that, it's only Birmingham that ask for an A* in science.

For Dentistry, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

Again, it looks like only Birmingham ask for the A*.

Original post by fudgeboy989
So in geography edexcel b there are 4 units all out of 100.
In unit 1 I got 100,
Unit 2 I got 100,
Unit 3 I got 70,
And unit 4 I got 88.
This takes me up to 358/400, which is 2 ums off the a* (1 raw mark).
Is it worth remarking my unit 3, since it was the decision unit with lots of opinions + I was predicted and expected at least an A.
Any advice appreciated

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you thought the paper went better than your results shows, you may as well go for it - it's unlikely that your mark will drop significantly for your grade to drop and you're close to the next boundary. :smile:

Original post by rchatburn09
But how can I find out how many raw marks I missed out on overall. Not each unit??

Add them up for each unit. :smile:

Original post by Mariochan
Pe was like the worst for me, like so bad that in my mocks I got a shameful E... But I revised my butt off and managed to get an a* (miracle I know). However I'm not here to brag about that. I looked further down and I saw a D!!! A ****ing D!!
I'm so confused cus I know that's my practical grade and I just don't understand how I got that because our teachers told us our grades, and I got a B when it was moderated by the examiner. Should I look into it? Or just be happy with my B? I can't really get a remark can I

Yeah, I'd speak to your teachers about it. You can't get individual controlled assessments remarked if it was first marked by the teacher and then a sample was sent off to be moderated. :smile:

Original post by WriterOfWrongs
I'm 3 marks off an a* in history - should I get it remarked? I want to do it at uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want to do it at uni, you may as well I'd say. :smile:

Original post by rachell2012
I got my CIE English Language (0500) result which is 85 percentage uniform mark which i think is the same as ums and they didn't give me any raw marks. I am a bit confused, if the A* boundary is 82 and the A boundary is 73 does that mean I got 77.5? I got straight A*s so I find this A a bit frustrating although I am still happy with the result. Do you think I should get a remark? Also is it possible to get coursework remarked as that counts for 50% of the GCSE, I know English Language is really important and I don't want this to hold me back...

Not necessarily - UMS doesn't work like that. :no:

I'd just leave it tbh - it could go down as well as up. :sadnod: There is no easy way to get your controlled assessments remarked, either the whole centre has to get theirs remarked or no one can.

An A grade is fantastic, so it won't hold you back. :smile:

Original post by abbie1259
I got 357 UMS in AQA Science A, meaning I got an A overall and I was 3 UMS away from an A*.

Physics 85 UMS (A)
Chemistry 91 UMS (A*)
Biology 81 UMS (A)
ISA 100 UMS (A*)

Do you suggest a remark on a particular paper? Is it possible to resit just one of these papers?

Thanks.

I'd just leave it - it's unlikely for marks to change in the sciences. Congrats on the A though! :biggrin:

Original post by PrimeLime
I got 9A*s and 1A in Business Studies, which I'm sure I didn't deserve. In my controlled assessment, I worked out that my teacher had given me about 48/60 raw marks. I'm absolutely convinced that I deserved a higher mark, but now I can't get it remarked or looked at. I think it's extremely unfair that a teacher can just dock you lots of marks and chances are, the moderators won't see it. Is there anything I can do about this, or is it just a huge flaw in the system? Also, she is a new teacher and has never taught the course nor marked a CA before and she is also a really bad and inexperienced teacher, so this is likely the reason. Also, I can't believe my school decided to give us a new teacher to replace the very experienced teacher HALFWAY through the GCSE course.

The only thing you can really do is speak to your teacher about it to see if they're willing to send them all off for a remark...but that's about it. :redface:

Original post by hettyu347
I was only 3 marks of a B in AQA chemistry and 5 off in Biology, does anyone think I should get a remark

It's probably not worth it - it's very rare for marks to change in the sciences and 5 marks is a fair amount. :smile:

Original post by iamlynchy
really need some advice on what to do about chemistry! I missed the boundary for an A* (360) by one UMS mark so I'm slightly disappointed knowing I was so close. I repeated my unit one exam already and due to not working hard enough I actually went down but thankfully kept my higher mark! in unit two I was right on the boundary for an A* (144) and my controlled assessment was also an A* (95) so therefore unit one (120) which was an A has let me down but I can't repeat it! I'm doing chemistry this year and would really love to get that one extra UMS mark! should I get a remark or repeat unit two? my raw mark in unit two was 101/115 so there's room for some improvement there and I know chemistry has a set mark scheme and it's difficult to go up but I'd just really love some help! thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm afraid that due to new rules, you'll have to repeat ALL the units (except your controlled assessment/ISA - that can be carried forward) as opposed to only unit 2 if you decide to retake, so it's probably not worth retaking.

It's very unlikely for marks to change in science as you said, so I'd personally just leave it - it can be frustrating to be just one UMS mark off but an A is awesome! :smile:

Original post by JannaX
Hi I got a really high A in aqa art gcse about 3 UMS away from an A* in my course work! But I did get an A* in my final exam. Do you think it's possible to get this remarked?? Thanks for your help!

Your coursework? If so, it depends...if it was marked by your teacher and then a sample was moderated by the exam board (which is the case for most of them), then you can't get your individual coursework remarked I'm afraid. :no:

Original post by Genuine History
Hello,
How do you get a remark? Do you wait until you go back to school or do you contact the school?

You could do either. The deadline to request one is the 20th September (although your school may have an earlier one), so you could potentially do it once you get back to school I guess. :smile:

Original post by A.Hassani
I have a small question, can a high B be changed to an A* in arabic? (most of the exam is writing essays)

It's very unlikely tbh. :sadnod:

Original post by tanyapotter
How likely do you think it is to gain 3 raw marks across 3 units of chemistry?

We can't say for definite as we haven't seen your papers but in general, it is unlikely for marks in the sciences to change. :sadnod:

Sarah Bethany
x

Hey, thanks for all your help in answering these questions! :h:

L'Evil Fish
x

Thank you for all your help too :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 183
Original post by Sarah Bethany
You can't get your CAs remarked, but you could get your papers remarked - I'm English is very subjective and so it is likely that you could gain a few extra marks. I'd say it was worth it, as long as you are prepared for the mark to go down either. :smile: hope that helps at all

Are you going into year 11?
Are you talking about 5 raw marks or 5 UMS? It's unlikely that marks will change in subjects like science as answers are generally either right or wrong, however, you might be able to gain a mark or two here and there. What did you get in each paper and what exam board is it?(just wondering how close to the A* you were on each paper)
An A is still an amazing grade though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know what I got in each paper out school didn't tell us, I'm 5 marks off :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Don't remark or resit.

Just make sure you get the A* in additional science :yep:

When u apply for uni's do they look at ur core science or additional or both?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSAA9
When u apply for uni's do they look at ur core science or additional or both?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well both, but if they see additional was an A* it'd bode well.
Reply 186
I received a 'B' in AQA Geography - 313 UMS overall, seven UMS marks off an 'A'. Would it be worth me enquiring about remarking are are 7 UMS points too many?
Thank you. :smile:
Original post by usycool1

Hey, thanks for all your help in answering these questions! :h:

No problem :tongue:

Original post by SSAA9
I don't know what I got in each paper out school didn't tell us, I'm 5 marks off :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, hm.. Not even a UMS breakdown?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 188
Original post by CPNICO
I received a 'B' in AQA Geography - 313 UMS overall, seven UMS marks off an 'A'. Would it be worth me enquiring about remarking are are 7 UMS points too many?
Thank you. :smile:

Sorry, forgot to say that the total UMS is 400. So ... I obtained 313/400 which is 7 UMS off an 'A' grade (320 UMS). I still can't get my head around these UMS points! :confused:
Original post by usycool1

X

i've realised I'm 5 marks off which is 7 ums but if I lose another 7 ums in the remark I'll go down to a B.

Thanks for your help though. I'll probably have to discuss with the history teacher when I get back to school.
Hi there Im a newbie to this haha.

But in my GCSE History for OCR A I was 9 UMS points/Marks of an A, Im wondering if it is worth getting it remarked or not? History mark was 151/200

And also in WJEC English Literature I was 8 marks or UMS points of an A I received 152/200

I also saw a huge dip in my R.E results was expecting at least a B but came out with a B
In one paper I received an A while in the other I received an E which brought it down to a C. Should I get it remarked?
Hi :smile: I got 358/400 UMS in AQA chemistry. What do you think the chances are of getting those extra 2 UMS if all 3 exams are remarked? And how long do these things take? Thanks! :smile:
Hey,

So yesterday I got my results and i got 10 UMs of a C in English, but i'm going to West Thames London college and they don't do GCSe retakes. They have an ESOL course which is good for me as i'm not English but if i want to do an apprenticeship next year I need a C in English but is ESOl and equivalent to C? or can i go to my old High school and ask them for a re sit?.
Reply 193
You can't get your CAs remarked, but you could get your papers remarked - I'm English is very subjective and so it is likely that you could gain a few extra marks. I'd say it was worth it, as long as you are prepared for the mark to go down either. :smile: hope that helps at all

Are you going into year 11?
Are you talking about 5 raw marks or 5 UMS? It's unlikely that marks will change in subjects like science as answers are generally either right or wrong, however, you might be able to gain a mark or two here and there. What did you get in each paper and what exam board is it?(just wondering how close to the A* you were on each paper)
An A is still an amazing grade though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I am going into year 11, what if I get all 3 exams remarked, instead one jst one? Will I then have a good chance of gaining 5 marks? Also can u get ur isa remarked as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SSAA9
Yes I am going into year 11, what if I get all 3 exams remarked, instead one jst one? Will I then have a good chance of gaining 5 marks? Also can u get ur isa remarked as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You might be able to get 5 marks, but idk, it's not that likely tbh... You have more chance if you get all 3 remarked but you'll have to pay for them if they dont change your grade... But no, you cant get your isa remarked because its CA so everyone in your school would have to be remarked
I got 45 marks in the ccea physics unit one paper and the beginning of the b band is 46, is there any chance if it gets remarked that I could get a b? I'm in double award so I am worried about getting a BC for my overall results next year.
Does anyone know if you have to pay to see your paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes it's about £7-9
Original post by adrianc1
Yes it's about £7-9

Ah, ok, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

You do but why would you do it? You can't get it remarked afterwards and it's not going to benefit you at all really. Why do you want to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile