The Student Room Group

Might be getting OCR B Geography Sustainable paper remarked?

When I did that exam, I thought it was the best exam I'd ever done, and that it would be my top result. However I got an A (still amazing!), but that's not the reason I was annoyed. In the Key Themes exam I got an A*, now I didn't even finish that paper and cried the week following because I thought I'd messed geography up, and I wanted to take it for a-level and it's one of my favourite subjects. Despite not finishing it, and worrying about it for months, I got an A*. And geography an A overall.

Now, when I looked at the grade boundaries, I noticed that I was 2 UMS off an A* in geography, and also 2 UMS off in the Sustainable paper.

So the reason I want to get it remarked is not only because I was 2 UMS off, but mainly because I think it's odd that I didn't do as well as I thought in that paper.

Did anyone else get unusual marks for this? Or has anyone had success in years gone by with remarking?
Original post by iamabbie97
When I did that exam, I thought it was the best exam I'd ever done, and that it would be my top result. However I got an A (still amazing!), but that's not the reason I was annoyed. In the Key Themes exam I got an A*, now I didn't even finish that paper and cried the week following because I thought I'd messed geography up, and I wanted to take it for a-level and it's one of my favourite subjects. Despite not finishing it, and worrying about it for months, I got an A*. And geography an A overall.

Now, when I looked at the grade boundaries, I noticed that I was 2 UMS off an A* in geography, and also 2 UMS off in the Sustainable paper.

So the reason I want to get it remarked is not only because I was 2 UMS off, but mainly because I think it's odd that I didn't do as well as I thought in that paper.

Did anyone else get unusual marks for this? Or has anyone had success in years gone by with remarking?

The SDME is probably the Geography exam where you're most likely to get a mark shift since it is slightly subjective. I don't think you've got much to lose, since you're very far from the B boundary so you've got virtually no chance of losing a grade. Incidentally, a girl in my school got her SDME grade raised from a C to an A* so grade changes are definitely possible, although this was obviously a very, very rare case.
Reply 2
Original post by Chlorophile
The SDME is probably the Geography exam where you're most likely to get a mark shift since it is slightly subjective. I don't think you've got much to lose, since you're very far from the B boundary so you've got virtually no chance of losing a grade. Incidentally, a girl in my school got her SDME grade raised from a C to an A* so grade changes are definitely possible, although this was obviously a very, very rare case.

Yeah, that's why I thought it would be better, and I really did feel this exam went well, if I didn't then I wouldn't get it remarked. I'm 22 UMS off a grade B overall, so I doubt I'd drop that many marks to get that! Wow that's amazing! I believe it's only 1.5 marks I need, and it did shock me a bit that the grade boundaries went down around 4/5 marks for this exam, and I still didn't get the A* (29/40).

Thank you so much for replying, I contacted my geography teacher who can then hopefully contact my exam officer and get it sorted.

Do schools usually pay to have it remarked or not? And do you know how much it would be for it if I did have to pay?
Original post by iamabbie97
Yeah, that's why I thought it would be better, and I really did feel this exam went well, if I didn't then I wouldn't get it remarked. I'm 22 UMS off a grade B overall, so I doubt I'd drop that many marks to get that! Wow that's amazing! I believe it's only 1.5 marks I need, and it did shock me a bit that the grade boundaries went down around 4/5 marks for this exam, and I still didn't get the A* (29/40).

Thank you so much for replying, I contacted my geography teacher who can then hopefully contact my exam officer and get it sorted.

Do schools usually pay to have it remarked or not? And do you know how much it would be for it if I did have to pay?

If you're attending a state school, they generally probably wouldn't pay for it (unless it's really serious, like an A* student getting a C or something) but you can ask your teacher if they'll pay. Otherwise, it's £39.30 for OCR - that's their fee, although your school might (although they probably won't) add an administrative fee. You'll need to decide if it's worth it for you. Not that it matters, but I'd probably go for it.
I'm getting my key themes paper remarked for a similar reason - I thought the exam went really well, but fell short of an A* by 3 UMS (I got full UMS in the SDME). Hope your grade goes up!
Original post by tanyapotter
I'm getting my key themes paper remarked for a similar reason - I thought the exam went really well, but fell short of an A* by 3 UMS (I got full UMS in the SDME). Hope your grade goes up!

I did OCR B Geography too and got 214 when the A* boundary is 216!! I got full marks on the SDME and an A in the written but my Controlled Assesment was brought down 8 marks which seems unlikely, even my teacher said so.. So I'm getting it remarked so I can get that 2 UMS and therefore the A* , hope it works out for you too :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by tanyapotter

Thank you, I hope yours does too! Quite a few people from my school are having it remarked. Geography has always been my strongest subject, and to miss it by so little really upset me! I'll let you know what I get when it's remarked!

Quick Reply