The Student Room Group

Does the BBC appeal to you?

What is your "go to" television channel?

How does the BBC's content aimed at young people compare with the choice that is available elsewhere?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't got a go to TV channel. They all have highs and lows. BBC Two is usually pretty solid for documentaries, though.
No, but I've been on websites that seem to suggest there is a market for that sort of thing.

I hope that helps.

Spoiler

Original post by She-Ra

How does the BBC's content aimed at young people compare with the choice that is available elsewhere?

My go to channel is Netflix... Netflix is one hell of a lot better than a channel such as the BBC. When I had satellite I watched Sky Atlantic most. I'm debating whether I should get CanalSat (FR) or Sky (UK or DE) as I get HBO Nordic, Hulu, Netflix, On Demand and Sky Go anyway so whats the point when I can just pick what I want to watch at any time rather than stick to schedules?

That said I do get 4OD, 5OD, iPlayer and ITV Player on my Sony devices so I can catch up with programmes and I tend to watch more BBC catch up than I do any other channel.
I think the BBC is really biased and twists the truth, especially about what's happening in the Middle East. It has a few good voices such as Jon Snow but their 'radical' views tend to be undermimed and pushed under the carpet.
I increasingly get all my TV from the internet (all legal sources, obviously :colone: ). I think BBC 1 & 2 are still the only channels that can compete with ITV (I don't have Sky, but I suppose the same might apply to the Sky channels).

BBC3 is just an awful channel in my opinion. They seem to have a rather patronising view of what young people want (or perhaps I'm out of touch). E4 has a much better selection of shows aimed at young people, although the days of Friends and Scrubs are gone.
(edited 9 years ago)
No, I don't usually bother with a TV license at University.

The BBC doesn't really offer any TV shows that I deem are actually worth paying the license fee for - they're all aimed towards an older generation (except for BBC 3 which is just full of repeats). I generally watch Channel 4 for the News and TV shows. However, as much as I like other channels, I'm not paying a TV license on principle that why should I if I don't even watch the BBC?

I usually use Netflix, 4OD and general other internet (legal ofc) sites to watch stuff.
e4 is my go to channel but it's starting to bore me now that it's only repeats
Reply 8
Comedy Central is the best! Mainly due to Friends. And E4, because thats where I watch Big Bang Theory, 2 Broke Girls and The 100 :biggrin:
No, an institution that protects paedophiles doesn't appeal to me. Sherlock is good though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Other than Top Gear BBC sucks.

Not wort the license fee at all.
Original post by She-Ra

I love the BBC news channel it is my favourite channel! A bit weird for an 18 year old I know but I love the news! However, I love the Bake off and Doctor Who and I am gutted that bbc3 is being put online only as I love Russel Howard's Good News and watching the great comedies that have appeared on BBC3!
No, it's just a shameful left wing mouthpiece that pumps out views totally at odds with those of the majority of the British people.
Original post by PythianLegume
I increasingly get all my TV from the internet (all legal sources, obviously :colone: ). I think BBC 1 & 2 are still the only channels that can compete with ITV (I don't have Sky, but I suppose the same might apply to the Sky channels).

BBC3 is just an awful channel in my opinion. They seem to have a rather patronising view of what young people want (or perhaps I'm out of touch). E4 has a much better selection of shows aimed at young people, although the days of Friends and Scrubs are gone.

the main reason why I stopped watching E4 :frown: or at least not as much

But to OP, I don't have a go-to channel anymore - I'd only use TV for live events and most of the time I'll use Amazon Instant
Honestly? My go-to channel is TLC. I love me some trashy reality shows. Channel 4 and BBC iPlayer are also awesome.
Misleading thread title :teehee:
To be fair I access BBC content pretty regularly in a variety of forms:

I listen to Radio Nottingham on the way into work.
I listen to World Service if I'm abroad on work or want to catch-up on current affairs.
I occasionally listen to Radio 4 when there's a programme that sounds interesting.
At work we have access to BBC Monitoring which is very useful.
I watch quite a bit on iPlayer - documentaries over dinner, Bake Off, Eastenders, Dragon's Den, a few others.
If there's something interesting going on in Parliament, I watch BBC Parliament.
For news I partly use the BBC News website, and we have News 24 on a screen in work.
I get breaking news alerts.
I follow on Facebook/Twitter.
If there's some form of activism going on I try and get it on East Midlands Today and Radio Nottingham.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 17
Everything apart from their news department is fine. BBC news is trash. Biased towards certain views and will do so subtly by using selective language in certain instances, reporting one side of an argument more than the other or leaving opposing opinions either as footnote at the bottom of an article, tucked away or not reporting it at all. It gets away with this due to its reputation for being unbiased with regards to political affiliation that people somehow think extends to other issues.
Nope. Gone are the days of good shows, we are now stuck with a mixture of dull period dramas and inane babble from the likes of Adrian Chiles. The One Show encapsulates everything that is wrong with the BBC. I only ever watch it for Match of the Day.
lol i thought of something else when i read the title. God what is wrong with me?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending