The Student Room Group

What is the point of life? (atheists only please)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RocketCiaranJ
There's no point of life, other than that which you create. How arrogant we are, to believe that our species is of cosmic significance.

Well said
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Well said

Thank you.
Feminism is the point of life
Well there being "a point" to something is a creativity of the human mind and it is so embedded in the way we view life. We constantly seek to question and explain things we have no comprehension of. Perhaps we just ditch the question of whether there is a point and just accept we are here.
Reply 604
to worship allah. :biggrin: ! >:biggrin:
To have fun! (I'm not an atheist but that's still what I believe!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
There is no 'point' to life. You have no 'reason' to be on the Earth. You serve no intrinsic purpose to the Earth. You were an organism that has evolved to what you are now and you are just here. Your life is your own and you are inevitably heading towards death so give yourself a reason to live instead of asking what is the point? Live your life and don't look up to an invisible man in the sky to 'guide' you. There is no 'moral reason' to life because morality is subjective and man-made.

I feel sorry for you the religious who have been brainwashed into thinking in such a way. By the way, if you act morally because the big guy in the sky is watching...you can't be said to be moral at all. I know alot of Christians with questionable morals that's for sure. You must wake up...look to science for your answers instead of these imaginary gods. If you don't then i am afraid you are wasting your time here on Earth in hoping you will go to a 'better place' once you die. You won't. Use your time wisely. You only have one life and that is right here right now
Original post by PhilosophyBabe
There is no 'point' to life. You have no 'reason' to be on the Earth. You serve no intrinsic purpose to the Earth. You were an organism that has evolved to what you are now and you are just here. Your life is your own and you are inevitably heading towards death so give yourself a reason to live instead of asking what is the point? Live your life and don't look up to an invisible man in the sky to 'guide' you. There is no 'moral reason' to life because morality is subjective and man-made.

I feel sorry for you the religious who have been brainwashed into thinking in such a way. By the way, if you act morally because the big guy in the sky is watching...you can't be said to be moral at all. I know alot of Christians with questionable morals that's for sure. You must wake up...look to science for your answers instead of these imaginary gods. If you don't then i am afraid you are wasting your time here on Earth in hoping you will go to a 'better place' once you die. You won't. Use your time wisely. You only have one life and that is right here right now

Wow, I don't think I've seen such a scientifically fundamental post before.

First of all, you seem to be a very certain person, which I find ironic because that's normally displayed by the religious fundamentalists.

Second of all, How can you be sure there is no purpose? Is your subjective view of things all of a sudden objective? What is morality, please enlighten me? Your post- modern standpoint is amusing.

Third of all, you seem to believe that the questionably moral Christians look up to a figure in the sky as God? I suggest you read a tad of theology before making such a claim.

Fourth of all, why do you believe our limited senses, through observable science are what we ought to look to "for answers"? Is there such a thing as an answer or is it all subjective? Or perhaps only science can be objective? Are there any other forms of non-scientific truth?

I don't mean to come off as rude, but you sound like an angry teenager whose just had a dose of the new athiests.

I am curious about your answers.
Reply 608
To make a difference or do something good. If someone put us here, surely they'd want us to help one another? If no one put us here and we are just here by chance, we should seize that opportunity and help one another make the most of our lives. And anyway, the best way to bring yourself pleasure and other people is to do something to make them smile.
I guess ultimately there is no more point to our lives than there is for the lives of ants or mice. However that doesn't mean our lives have to be meaningless. I think just to experience being a human, feeling emotions, loving others, creating new life, developing our civilisations. All these are purposes of life. There's no "higher purpose" other than to truly appreciate what time we have and to make the world a better place in whatever way we can :smile:
Original post by Double Agent
I sometimes see life as a set of puzzles that we are here to solve, generation by generation. I guess its really about reproduction and success, that or to become a rep god on tsr.

Welcome back.
Original post by Micccol
Wow, I don't think I've seen such a scientifically fundamental post before.

First of all, you seem to be a very certain person, which I find ironic because that's normally displayed by the religious fundamentalists.

Second of all, How can you be sure there is no purpose? Is your subjective view of things all of a sudden objective? What is morality, please enlighten me? Your post- modern standpoint is amusing.

Third of all, you seem to believe that the questionably moral Christians look up to a figure in the sky as God? I suggest you read a tad of theology before making such a claim.

Fourth of all, why do you believe our limited senses, through observable science are what we ought to look to "for answers"? Is there such a thing as an answer or is it all subjective? Or perhaps only science can be objective? Are there any other forms of non-scientific truth?

I don't mean to come off as rude, but you sound like an angry teenager whose just had a dose of the new atheists.

I am curious about your answers.

My answer was directly to a reply by a Christian on here telling us Atheists to wake up. That there were no morals without 'God', that there was no point to life without 'God'. I just hit send in main comments rather than a reply to a comment which you obviously weren't aware of so I do applaud you for your, erm, 'bon mot' reply.

Yes I am certain that there is no god of which the Christians speak. Have I touched a nerve here? I am glad my reply amused you.

You seem to be a little confused by my reply....morality is subjective. There are no moral facts that we can follow. So yes i stand by my point in replying to her comment about morality. The person i was replying to suggesting was that only God can provide us with moral laws...I am not believer of absolutism and i was expressing that.

Scientific methods for investigating of course not applicable in all fields of inquiry. My reply came from science...and reasoning. Objective and subjective.In my reply i said to look to science for answers. Nothing to do with the original question but just was just a nudge towards science and logic.

No need to name-call either here. You seem angry, and yes it was rude but no offense taken. Every point you have made has been incorrect. You seem to have taken offense to my reply. FYI I am well read in Theology. I am a former devout Christian now devoted Atheist. Age 25 and currently completing a pHD in Metaphysics.
Original post by PhilosophyBabe
My answer was directly to a reply by a Christian on here telling us Atheists to wake up. That there were no morals without 'God', that there was no point to life without 'God'. I just hit send in main comments rather than a reply to a comment which you obviously weren't aware of so I do applaud you for your, erm, 'bon mot' reply.

Yes I am certain that there is no god of which the Christians speak. Have I touched a nerve here? I am glad my reply amused you.

You seem to be a little confused by my reply....morality is subjective. There are no moral facts that we can follow. So yes i stand by my point in replying to her comment about morality. The person i was replying to suggesting was that only God can provide us with moral laws...I am not believer of absolutism and i was expressing that.

Scientific methods for investigating of course not applicable in all fields of inquiry. My reply came from science...and reasoning. Objective and subjective.In my reply i said to look to science for answers. Nothing to do with the original question but just was just a nudge towards science and logic.

No need to name-call either here. You seem angry, and yes it was rude but no offense taken. Every point you have made has been incorrect. You seem to have taken offense to my reply. FYI I am well read in Theology. I am a former devout Christian now devoted Atheist. Age 25 and currently completing a pHD in Metaphysics.

Excellent, I love discussing these things with people well read in theology. Who have you read? I'm curious.

Because as a struggling Christian and open inquirer to the possible multi-valent nature of truth, I as well do not believe in a "God" as a figure in the sky. That by no means indicates certainty that the Christian God doesn't exist (or that I can be certain that what I believe or don't believe is correct).

I'm a tad confused about your stance on morality as it being subjective. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the terminology, but wouldn't claiming that all morality is subjective, be an objective claim? And therefore self-contradictory?

I was not frusterated in any sense with your views or beliefs. Naturally, I have great respect for athiests. What bothered me, was the high degree of certainty you seem to hold with your views.

And yes, naturally it is quite amusing reading a 25 year old claim that he is certain that a 2000 year old tradition (filled with thought and uncertainty) is certainly false, based on his narrow (and perhaps basic) understanding of the subject at hand.

And while you may be 25 and studying metaphysics, I stand by what I said before. You still sound like an angry teenager on a high dose of new athiesm, who has got it all figured out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Micccol
I'm a tad confused about your stance on morality as it being subjective. Perhaps I am misunderstanding the terminology, but wouldn't claiming that all morality is subjective, be an objective claim? And therefore self-contradictory?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Morality is subjective. Everyone has a different moral code. It is an objective claim, but that doesn't mean it contradicts itself.

Science has not yet proven religion wrong, for all we know God started the big bang.

However, what I find funny about religion is that they all share one common believe: you should love others as you love yourself. Yet most people have a hard time following it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There doesn't need to be a 'point' to life. Each of us is in charge of our own lives and we get to choose how we spend our time here. It doesn't have to be meaningful, just like a duck's point of life is to survive and reproduce, us humans as a species do the same. Although I refuse to think of it as a 'point' of life because there IS NO POINT, only your life's ambitions and aspirations. We do things purely because we want to, for enjoyment or money.
Work 9-5, eat, sleep. Work 9-5, eat, sleep. Work 9-5, eat, sleep. Work 9-5, eat, sleep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reproduce. Pure and simple. Although to address the idea of an after life, reincarnation has alot more credit compared to the likes of heaven and hell. Plus, how class would it be to come back as an animal like an eagle or lion :L
Reply 617
The Jedi religion explains this perfectly haha, let the force flow through you, and know that there is no beginning or end, but that we are all connected, and all essential to each others past, present and ultimate future to the end of time. haha.
This has been going on for 6 years haha.
But if there's no point to life then what's the point in living?
Why should I read books and educate myself if in the end we all die.
Why do I need to go to university to then get a job to then make money if I can't take the money with me to the afterlife (if there is one)?
Is it to make your stay here as pleasurable as possible? But then again what's the point it's only temporary.

It's kinda sad to think that we have no spiritual purpose no self fulfilment, that our only purpose is to reproduce and then again to what end ?

I want to believe that there is a god, that something created this universe but that belief isn't very strong and I don't have a strong belief in religion :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous263
This has been going on for 6 years haha.
But if there's no point to life then what's the point in living?
Why should I read books and educate myself if in the end we all die.
Why do I need to go to university to then get a job to then make money if I can't take the money with me to the afterlife (if there is one)?
Is it to make your stay here as pleasurable as possible? But then again what's the point it's only temporary.

It's kinda sad to think that we have no spiritual purpose no self fulfilment, that our only purpose is to reproduce and then again to what end ?

I want to believe that there is a god, that something created this universe but that belief isn't very strong and I don't have a strong belief in religion :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why does something have to be unlimited to have worth? It's like saying going on holiday is pointless as you have to return. If that was true then tourism would be a non existent industry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending