The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by Sarah Bethany
You might be able to get 5 marks, but idk, it's not that likely tbh... You have more chance if you get all 3 remarked but you'll have to pay for them if they dont change your grade... But no, you cant get your isa remarked because its CA so everyone in your school would have to be remarked

Ohh... Right, thanks! I don't know my individual scores, will my teachers know them? Because I want find out how I did in each exam

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iaminneedofhelp
You do but why would you do it? You can't get it remarked afterwards and it's not going to benefit you at all really. Why do you want to do it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Because i did worse than I was predicted and I want to see where I went wrong, but theres no point getting it remarked as it was too low an A for it to go up to an A*
Original post by SSAA9
Ohh... Right, thanks! I don't know my individual scores, will my teachers know them? Because I want find out how I did in each exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you not get a UMS breakdown on your sheet? But yeah, your teachers will know what mark you got
Hi guys I used the ums mark converters on the exam board websites and found that I was exactly 1 raw mark away from A* on English language and German. Should I remark and how and when by? Thanks
Original post by IhateMichealGove
Hi guys I used the ums mark converters on the exam board websites and found that I was exactly 1 raw mark away from A* on English language and German. Should I remark and how and when by? Thanks

Yes, you should remark, ask your school, and by 20th September :smile:
Yes, you should remark, ask your school, and by 20th September :smile:

Thanks. One more thing in my linear maths grade I had no ums mark next to it so can't tell if I'm close to A*. What do I do?
Thanks. One more thing in my linear maths grade I had no ums mark next to it so can't tell if I'm close to A*. What do I do?

No, they don't give you a UMS mark for maths, who knows why, but you can ask your teacher about what you got as they will have your raw mark :smile:
No, they don't give you a UMS mark for maths, who knows why, but you can ask your teacher about what you got as they will have your raw mark :smile:

Thank you 😄
Thank you 😄

No problem :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
across 3 units of chemistry, how likely do you think it is that i will gain 2 to 3 raw marks and boost my grade up to an A*? could the 6-markers possibly bring my grade up? i've already sent them and i'm in need of soooo much luck right now...eeeekkkk
Today, I sent my AQA English language Paper off for a remark. I need to gain 19 UMS to get to the next grade (A*), which is equivalent to going up by 6 marks. If I drop 4, I go down to the next. But I'm 99% sure, I'll get those 6 marks, as there is no way I got a B in that exam, when I had been getting way into full UMS from my teacher and another teacher (who's an AQA examiner) - they couldn't have been 20 marks off :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by kingaaran
Today, I sent my AQA English language Paper off for a remark. I need to gain 19 UMS to get to the next grade (A*), which is equivalent to going up by 6 marks. If I drop 4, I go down to the next. But I'm 99% sure, I'll get those 6 marks, as there is no way I got a B in that exam, when I had been getting way into full UMS from my teacher and another teacher (who's an AQA examiner) - they couldn't have been 20 marks off :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What did you do to get it remarked?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What did you do to get it remarked?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I went into my centre, spoke to the exams officer and they sent it off for a remark. I have such a strong feeling AQA have messed something up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kingaaran
I went into my centre, spoke to the exams officer and they sent it off for a remark. I have such a strong feeling AQA have messed something up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah, thanks, just wondering - good luck with the remark, hope you get the grade you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah, thanks, just wondering - good luck with the remark, hope you get the grade you want :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I hope it's successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 215
Original post by usycool1
I guess you probably need 80 for an A so I wouldn't remark that one - it's too far away from the next boundary and it could go down. :sadnod:

If your controlled assessment was first marked by a teacher and then a sample was sent off to be moderated by the exam board, then the whole centre's controlled assessments will need to be remarked (you can't have individual ones remarked). 6 UMS is a fair amount but I'd try a remark here as scoring at least a C grade in English is very important. :smile:

It's probably not worth it tbh - it's unlikely for marks to change in the sciences and 5 UMS is quite a bit. :sadnod: An A grade is still great!

For Medicine, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements

Looking at that, it's only Birmingham that ask for an A* in science.

For Dentistry, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

Again, it looks like only Birmingham ask for the A*.

If you thought the paper went better than your results shows, you may as well go for it - it's unlikely that your mark will drop significantly for your grade to drop and you're close to the next boundary. :smile:

Add them up for each unit. :smile:

Yeah, I'd speak to your teachers about it. You can't get individual controlled assessments remarked if it was first marked by the teacher and then a sample was sent off to be moderated. :smile:

If you want to do it at uni, you may as well I'd say. :smile:

Not necessarily - UMS doesn't work like that. :no:

I'd just leave it tbh - it could go down as well as up. :sadnod: There is no easy way to get your controlled assessments remarked, either the whole centre has to get theirs remarked or no one can.

An A grade is fantastic, so it won't hold you back. :smile:

I'd just leave it - it's unlikely for marks to change in the sciences. Congrats on the A though! :biggrin:

The only thing you can really do is speak to your teacher about it to see if they're willing to send them all off for a remark...but that's about it. :redface:

It's probably not worth it - it's very rare for marks to change in the sciences and 5 marks is a fair amount. :smile:

I'm afraid that due to new rules, you'll have to repeat ALL the units (except your controlled assessment/ISA - that can be carried forward) as opposed to only unit 2 if you decide to retake, so it's probably not worth retaking.

It's very unlikely for marks to change in science as you said, so I'd personally just leave it - it can be frustrating to be just one UMS mark off but an A is awesome! :smile:

Your coursework? If so, it depends...if it was marked by your teacher and then a sample was moderated by the exam board (which is the case for most of them), then you can't get your individual coursework remarked I'm afraid. :no:

You could do either. The deadline to request one is the 20th September (although your school may have an earlier one), so you could potentially do it once you get back to school I guess. :smile:

It's very unlikely tbh. :sadnod:

We can't say for definite as we haven't seen your papers but in general, it is unlikely for marks in the sciences to change. :sadnod:

Hey, thanks for all your help in answering these questions! :h:

Thank you for all your help too :wink:

Hi, If i don't remark the paper that only got an A but I did for the paper that got an A*, what are my chances of getting those 5 UMS marks? One forum moderator said that it's around 2-3 marks but when I went on the UMS - Mark convertor then I found that it was actually 6 marks, which seems quite a lot. Is it 6 marks or 2-3 marks?

Also, I was going to ask at the dentistry link, isn't that the minimum needed and people who get better marks than 6 A * would easily get in? Also, is there an IB section like this aswell? That would be hugely important.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I'm tempted to get a remark on my IGCSE Edexcel English Literature exam. I got 69/100 which is an A. The boundary for the A* is 73/100 and the entire qualification is based off the exam (AKA there's no coursework). Is 4 marks too much to go for a remark even though it's a subjective subject? I'm doing it at A Level so it would be nice to get up a grade if possible.
Thanks!
Original post by usycool1

Can I retake only one paper, or will I need to retake all the units?
Unfortunately, you can no longer retake only part of the qualification - you will need to retake all units (exams) for a particular subject to satisfy the new terminal rule (see below for more information on the terminal rule). The only exception to this is controlled assessment units - you can carry forward the same controlled assessment mark from the previous exam season to the next.

So does this mean that I will need to retake all subjects?
No - you just need to retake all papers for a particular subject whose grade you're not happy with.

What is this new terminal rule?
The new terminal rule states that you have to complete 100% of the qualification in the final examination series in order to be awarded a certificate. This has replaced the previous 40% terminal rule, in which 40% of the qualification needed to be completed in the final examination series in order to be awarded a certificate. This means that if you decide to retake, you will end up with two certificates - one with the original mark and the other with the new, retake mark.

If I do worse on my retake, which mark will count?
If you decide to retake a controlled assessment, the retake mark of your controlled assessment will be the one that counts even if it is lower than the original.

Is this true for AS too, or just GCSE?
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I was wondering whether it would be worth the risk of having my Edexcel Drama unit 3 remarked because I got an E, which is quite a lot lower than I was expecting! I got high As in the other two units which brough my final grade to a low B which I really don't want to lose, which is why I'm unsure about asking for a remark. The E just doesn't seem right though, especially since everyone else in my group got As and Bs. What would you do?
Original post by happygolucky21
Hi, I was wondering whether it would be worth the risk of having my Edexcel Drama unit 3 remarked because I got an E, which is quite a lot lower than I was expecting! I got high As in the other two units which brough my final grade to a low B which I really don't want to lose, which is why I'm unsure about asking for a remark. The E just doesn't seem right though, especially since everyone else in my group got As and Bs. What would you do?

I don't think you can mark Unit 3 again, can you? But if you can, definitely go for it, but look at how close you were to the boundary. I was expecting a C in my performance, but ended up with a strong B, lol, but our examiner was really nice - she even wished us good luck, and that's weird, coming from an examiner! Aha :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest