The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sazzy890
Lol do teacher's get taught to say this on the PGCE or something because they all seem to say it :tongue: Doesn't make sense though because you can't tell your bladder when it needs a wee.

The point is that children quickly work out that it's an easy way to get out of the lesson and mess around. We had numerous incidents last term resulting from this.

1. One student was gone for about 15 minutes 'in the toilet' but it later materialised that he'd gone across the road to McDonald's to get some chicken nuggets for him and his classmates!

2. Three students all from different classes went to the toilet and were caught vandalising the cubicle walls and deliberately trying to block the toilets during lesson time.

Original post by Motorbiker
Your thread is in my top five favourite AMA threads if it helps.

Probably because of all the taboos being discussed. :ahee:
Any advice on work experience before applying for my PGCE?

I have experience as a TA when I was a sixth former a couple of years ago when helping one of the science teachers teach a year 8 class. =l
Original post by Autistic Merit
This is a first. :angry:

Would you advice someone take a sandwich year if they want to become a teacher?
Original post by Scienceisgood
Would you advice someone take a sandwich year if they want to become a teacher?

I would recommend just doing a normal 3 year degree. Most universities should have schemes such as the Student Associates Scheme then apply for a PGCE.
I would recommend just doing a normal 3 year degree. Most universities should have schemes such as the Student Associates Scheme then apply for a PGCE.

From what I've read online though, these ended in 2011. =l
Original post by Scienceisgood
From what I've read online though, these ended in 2011. =l

In that case, a sandwich degree might be recommended. They are quite big on classroom experience when you go through the PGCE application process.
Reply 346
Could you answer some questions for me for my epq? I would appreciate it a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 347
Have you ever pranked your students? Pretend to be drunk?
Original post by Jams97
Could you answer some questions for me for my epq? I would appreciate it a lot :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sure. :smile:

Original post by godd
Have you ever pranked your students? Pretend to be drunk?

Nope. I'd be too afraid of it backfiring. :frown:
Reply 349
Do you realise how many kids don't know the square root sign just means the positive root! Can you tell them that on my behalf, please. :biggrin:
Reply 350
Sure. :smile:

Nope. I'd be too afraid of it backfiring. :frown:

I'll message you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only read the first few pages. I'm actually becoming a teacher through a school based rate. I start in September.

- Can you give two situations where students have been incredibly caring towards you or done something nice
- Can you tell us a funny story
- Have you ever cried over something to do with teaching? if so what and why?
- Aside from teaching in lessons, are you involved in helping out with other things in school, if so, how has that been?
Original post by godd
Do you realise how many kids don't know the square root sign just means the positive root! Can you tell them that on my behalf, please. :biggrin:

Will do. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Luxray
Only read the first few pages. I'm actually becoming a teacher through a school based rate. I start in September.

- Can you give two situations where students have been incredibly caring towards you or done something nice
- Can you tell us a funny story
- Have you ever cried over something to do with teaching? if so what and why?
- Aside from teaching in lessons, are you involved in helping out with other things in school, if so, how has that been?

1. Only two examples I can think of is students writing really 'sweet' messages in their exercise book saying I'm awesome (peng, reem, sick etc. too :rolleyes: )
Also students giving me Christmas presents, especially if accompanied by a card - I'll keep them forever. The chocolates disappear though! :colondollar:

2. I once had toilet paper stuck to my shoe during a lesson.

3. Cried several times in the staff room. The workload is like nothing you can imagine. Students have been rude and said offensive things to me before which have made me really upset too.

4. Not as of yet.
Reply 354
How fast could you do a GCSE Maths paper and get an A*?

I think I could do one in 15 minutes.
Why do you do FAVOURITISM?!?! Can you NOT treat ALL students equally?
Original post by godd
How fast could you do a GCSE Maths paper and get an A*?

I think I could do one in 15 minutes.

I'd need at least 20 mins; I'm not that fast. Remember you need to do two papers to get an A*. There's no grade boundary as such for just a non-calc paper on its own.
Are you intrigued by these questions?
And, from a teacher's perspective, how do acquire A*s continuously?
I seriously need to be that student, I'm an B student overall :/
Original post by KittyRe-play
Why do you do FAVOURITISM?!?! Can you NOT treat ALL students equally?

I try my best to do this. Even when students are extremely rude to me I give them a chance to earn my forgiveness.
Reply 359
I'd need at least 20 mins; I'm not that fast. Remember you need to do two papers to get an A*. There's no grade boundary as such for just a non-calc paper on its own.

I mean most of the algebra I would do in my head. Stuff like completing the square, I would just do it without working out. But I would lose method marks maybe?

but then again I'm 22.

I do have a maths degree though, so your story interests me.

Latest