The Student Room Group

Please help! I'm confused!

Hi guys! I'm currently studying Applied science in college and I don't know what to apply for in September. I want to do Nursing but I don't think its for me! I don't want to do any science degrees because I know I'll be unemployed after I finish uni!

Nursing Students;
How is placement like?
How many days a week do you go uni?
Do you have clean vomit, poop etc
Is the course fun?
Are the essays hard (I'm good at essays :smile: )
Reply 1
You are exactly like me. Looking for the same answer!
To be honest if you don't think it's for you then Don't do it.
Your heart and soul need to be in it. It will come across to patients mentors etc that you aren't In it and are not fully passionate.
A nursing degree is hard going and requires dedication and commitment. Not someone who may drop out after finding out it isn't for them.
Hours will vary depending on the university and how they structure the course and placements.
Yes you will have to clean up all manner of bodily fluids as that is basic care and basic human rights to be fed watered clean and comfortable in a care setting.
Which branch have you looked at?
Placements will depend on branch but usually you do a placement of another branch, ie do an l.d placement if you are studying adult nursing. Then you will have placements in hospitals, community, day centres etc. It all can vary.
Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by deviant182
To be honest if you don't think it's for you then Don't do it.
Your heart and soul need to be in it. It will come across to patients mentors etc that you aren't In it and are not fully passionate.
A nursing degree is hard going and requires dedication and commitment. Not someone who may drop out after finding out it isn't for them.
Hours will vary depending on the university and how they structure the course and placements.
Yes you will have to clean up all manner of bodily fluids as that is basic care and basic human rights to be fed watered clean and comfortable in a care setting.
Which branch have you looked at?
Placements will depend on branch but usually you do a placement of another branch, ie do an l.d placement if you are studying adult nursing. Then you will have placements in hospitals, community, day centres etc. It all can vary.
Best of luck :smile:

Thanks so much! I wanted to do Adult Nursing but now I'm thinking to do Children's nursing!
Original post by StyleIcon
Hi guys! I'm currently studying Applied science in college and I don't know what to apply for in September. I want to do Nursing but I don't think its for me! I don't want to do any science degrees because I know I'll be unemployed after I finish uni!

Nursing Students;
How is placement like?
How many days a week do you go uni?
Do you have clean vomit, poop etc
Is the course fun?
Are the essays hard (I'm good at essays :smile: )

It's slightly different at each university because they can all structure the courses slightly different. I've had three placements in first year (6 weeks, 8 weeks and 9 weeks) whereas some people I know have had a greater number of shorter placements. I've found them all to be fine, some mentors are better than others but as long as your attitude is good and you take opportunities to learn then there's no such thing as a bad placement.

When I'm on a theory block I'm usually in Monday to Friday 10-3. If there is a seminar in the week then there is usually a study day.

Yes, you will have to clean up vomit and poop in whatever branch of nursing you choose to go into. Some people can deal with it, others can't. It's important to remember that the people you are helping are vulnerable and sick and some may be fully dependant on you for every aspect of their care.

Sometimes the course seems fun, other times it doesn't. Particularly when the weather is good and you're spending 12 or 14 hours in a stuffy ward it can be difficult. As long as you have an interest in what you're doing you will find enjoyment in it.

I haven't found my essays to be particularly hard. It's difficult to get used to referencing and searching for literature takes much longer than actually writing the essays. Reflective essays are a pain.

Hope this helps!
Reply 5
Original post by Charlotte49
It's slightly different at each university because they can all structure the courses slightly different. I've had three placements in first year (6 weeks, 8 weeks and 9 weeks) whereas some people I know have had a greater number of shorter placements. I've found them all to be fine, some mentors are better than others but as long as your attitude is good and you take opportunities to learn then there's no such thing as a bad placement.

When I'm on a theory block I'm usually in Monday to Friday 10-3. If there is a seminar in the week then there is usually a study day.

Yes, you will have to clean up vomit and poop in whatever branch of nursing you choose to go into. Some people can deal with it, others can't. It's important to remember that the people you are helping are vulnerable and sick and some may be fully dependant on you for every aspect of their care.

Sometimes the course seems fun, other times it doesn't. Particularly when the weather is good and you're spending 12 or 14 hours in a stuffy ward it can be difficult. As long as you have an interest in what you're doing you will find enjoyment in it.

I haven't found my essays to be particularly hard. It's difficult to get used to referencing and searching for literature takes much longer than actually writing the essays. Reflective essays are a pain.

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! Your post actually made think about this and now I think I want to do it!

Can I just ask one more thing? Are there alot of maths exams? Im very bad at maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by StyleIcon
Thank you so much! Your post actually made think about this and now I think I want to do it!

Can I just ask one more thing? Are there alot of maths exams? Im very bad at maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically the university has to examine you in drug calculations in some method to prove to the NMC that you are competent. I get one or two drug calculation exams each year using the Safemedicate program which I think quite a few universities use. You can get books which will take you through each step of the calculations. Once you can convert between units you just need to follow the formulas which are probably GCSE level or below, they're really not hard.

Quick Reply

Latest