The Student Room Group

Can I still go to a top university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gavss
What do you think is the best way to approach this goal, so that I can reach institutions such as imperial college?

As I understand it, ICL puts a lot of emphasis on GCSEs, so perhaps a similarly prestigious but different University would be better. I'm not 100% sure on this! but it's something you should be able to find out by looking on TSR, there will be ICL applicant threads that give you lots of useful information on what they expect of candidates.

What you need to do is find out what they want from an applicant, take the relevant subjects, and just work hard. It is do-able. For example, I went from poor GCSE grades to an average of 99% at AS-Level. However, you should probably try and identify universities that put less emphasis on GCSE, they do exist.
Reply 21
Original post by tomfailinghelp
AS Levels do not totally make up for poor GCSEs, particularly not in subjects such as medicine etcetera, although overall they can never be fully compensated for (of course I'm talking top 10 in this case).

There is is a good reason why you can't be that person though, which is that the chances are infinitesimal. Besides the fact that the example I cited was a person who had a place guaranteed by a social-mobility scheme. If you were correct and it was wise to apply to a top University despite such results, most people would qualify for Oxbridge, but they don't, so it must be false.

And okay, in some circumstances As at GCSE are not bad, however in others they are. It's not stupid to think they are when statistic from top Universities consistently affirm that people with higher GCSE grades get more offers and places.

So what would my chances be if I were to have a high standard in other aspects my application?
Reply 22
As I understand it, ICL puts a lot of emphasis on GCSEs, so perhaps a similarly prestigious but different University would be better. I'm not 100% sure on this! but it's something you should be able to find out by looking on TSR, there will be ICL applicant threads that give you lots of useful information on what they expect of candidates.

What you need to do is find out what they want from an applicant, take the relevant subjects, and just work hard. It is do-able. For example, I went from poor GCSE grades to an average of 99% at AS-Level. However, you should probably try and identify universities that put less emphasis on GCSE, they do exist.

Can I still go for imperial for engineering?
Original post by JayJay-C19
Lets just agree to disagree. Because even according to an admissions tutor from Cambridge, you're wrong. I only agree with you in terms of STEM subjects.

I think you'll find that Cambridge tutors will confirm what I'm saying, because their own officially sanctioned statistics do. I highly doubt a Cambridge admissions tutor would agree that GCSEs don't matter and that a poor set of GCSEs will not hinder you at all.
Original post by gavss
Can I still go for imperial for engineering?

Ive not a clue mate, you're better off looking for that University's forum. They'll know.
I think you'll find that Cambridge tutors will confirm what I'm saying, because their own officially sanctioned statistics do. I highly doubt a Cambridge admissions tutor would agree that GCSEs don't matter and that a poor set of GCSEs will not hinder you at all.

But I didn't say either of those two things. Stop taking what I say out of context and doubt what you will but they did.
But I didn't say either of those two things. Stop taking what I say out of context and doubt what you will but they did.

Well then provide evidence for it. I'm not taking what you say out of context... I said that GCSEs are important and that this set of results is poor in relation to the average for a top University, and you took issue with what I said.
Well then provide evidence for it. I'm not taking what you say out of context... I said that GCSEs are important and that this set of results is poor in relation to the average for a top University, and you took issue with what I said.

No, no, no. I said that 4 As are good and you still would have a shot at top universities and you took issue with what I said.
Reply 28
Ive not a clue mate, you're better off looking for that University's forum. They'll know.

I contacted an a member of the engineering admission staff at imperial and they said that they place more emphasis on AS's however I still think that I should get around 90 average in 3/4 of my subjects..
No, no, no. I said that 4 As are good and you still would have a shot at top universities and you took issue with what I said.

Yes, because that isn't really true. 'A shot' suggests a moderate to good chance, but that isn't the case really. My response was that his chances are small, which is absolutely true.

Original post by gavss
I contacted an a member of the engineering admission staff at imperial and they said that they place more emphasis on AS's however I still think that I should get around 90 average in 3/4 of my subjects..

Okay, well I'd suggest first of all asking around on TSR to see what they think about GCSE requirements. Sometimes Universities are not totally explicit on the weight they place on them, for example Oxford don't say outright that they are important but they are.

Having said that, they are probably telling the truth, as most Universities aren't absolutely concerned. Really it depends on how competitive the course you want to study is.
Yes, because that isn't really true. 'A shot' suggests a moderate to good chance, but that isn't the case really. My response was that his chances are small, which is absolutely true.

Okay, well I'd suggest first of all asking around on TSR to see what they think about GCSE requirements. Sometimes Universities are not totally explicit on the weight they place on them, for example Oxford don't say outright that they are important but they are.

Having said that, they are probably telling the truth, as most Universities aren't absolutely concerned. Really it depends on how competitive the course you want to study is.

But it isn't true :s-smilie: I know people at Kings and UCL who got AABBBBCCCCDE? You're making assumptions based on League and the name of the university haha.

I also cannot evidence a face-to-face conversation. You're being overly analytical, having a shot means A CHANCE. It doesn't mean a high chance, a moderate or mild one. It means a chance. It will depend on your competition that year, the course you are applying for, the other areas of your application, and each individual university.

As I said, lets agree to disagree. I cannot really be bothered to argue about this. Cambridge even say they dont have general requirements in terms of GCSEs and AS levels show more to them than GCSEs. A lot of people with 10A*s dont even get in. Theres more to it than GCSEs and you're misleading saying GCSEs carry a lot of weight because they actually don't. They carry some weight but in the grand scheme of things they dont, as long as you have good AS Levels and everything else goes well.
But it isn't true :s-smilie: I know people at Kings and UCL who got AABBBBCCCCDE? You're making assumptions based on League and the name of the university haha.

I also cannot evidence a face-to-face conversation. You're being overly analytical, having a shot means A CHANCE. It doesn't mean a high chance, a moderate or mild one. It means a chance. It will depend on your competition that year, the course you are applying for, the other areas of your application, and each individual university.

As I said, lets agree to disagree. I cannot really be bothered to argue about this. Cambridge even say they dont have general requirements in terms of GCSEs and AS levels show more to them than GCSEs. A lot of people with 10A*s dont even get in. Theres more to it than GCSEs and you're misleading saying GCSEs carry a lot of weight because they actually don't. They carry some weight but in the grand scheme of things they dont, as long as you have good AS Levels and everything else goes well.

I accept that many people have studied at Cambridge who have achieved poor GCSE results. This is irrelevant, the point is that they are a statistically insignificant number of those accepted to the University.

But I've stipulated from my very first post that I agreed he had a chance, I never said that he had no chance at all.

But fine, we can therefore accept that GCSEs are totally irrelevant and that however minute your chances of acceptance into Cambridge are you should apply. We should also judge your chances of getting in based on the minimum entry requirements, because obviously they bear a relation to how likely success is. Good luck OP.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 33
I accept that many people have studied at Cambridge who have achieved poor GCSE results. This is irrelevant, the point is that they are a statistically insignificant number of those accepted to the University.

But I've stipulated from my very first post that I agreed he had a chance, I never said that he had no chance at all.

But fine, we can therefore accept that GCSEs are totally irrelevant and that however minute your chances of acceptance into Cambridge are you should apply. We should also judge your chances of getting in based on the minimum entry requirements, because obviously they bear a relation to how likely success is. Good luck OP.

So could you give me an example of the best university I could go to with these grades and a good set of AS's?
Original post by gavss
So could you give me an example of the best university I could go to with these grades and a good set of AS's?

It isn't that simple. Officially you could get into almost any University with those grades so long as you don't want to do medicine. However some Universities, Oxford for example, are unlikely to take you.

If you're talking about which Universities where it probably wouldn't be a massive dent in your application, then you can get an interview from Cambridge almost automatically with a high UMS average.
Reply 35
It isn't that simple. Officially you could get into almost any University with those grades so long as you don't want to do medicine. However some Universities, Oxford for example, are unlikely to take you.

If you're talking about which Universities where it probably wouldn't be a massive dent in your application, then you can get an interview from Cambridge almost automatically with a high UMS average.

I see , although it may be too early, I want to pursue chemical engineering, not medicine or anything like that. I just want to know , would you say that I'm taking the suitable a levels for the subject? (FYI I plan to take further maths to AS in year 13)

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest