The Student Room Group

Is A2 much harder than AS ?

I'll be doing psychology, biology and chemistry at A2. I got BDD at AS as I messed up my unit 1 exams for chemistry and biology which brought down my grade badly so i'll be retaking them.

Does anyone have any revision tips or advice in general about A2 ?
Of those, I only took psychology. The A2 isn't too much of a step up in terms of how well you need to understand the material, but you do have to memorise a lot more studies since there is more variety in what you can get asked and you have to write quite a lot of essays.

Generally, A2 is a bit of a step up, but it much less of a jump than GCSE to AS is for most people.

If you're struggling to get the amount of work done that you need to, maybe try staying in school or in a library to do work so that you don't get distracted. Also, study mark schemes. Exam technique is very important and good technique can really improve your grades.
Reply 2
Original post by bluebeetle
Of those, I only took psychology. The A2 isn't too much of a step up in terms of how well you need to understand the material, but you do have to memorise a lot more studies since there is more variety in what you can get asked and you have to write quite a lot of essays.

Generally, A2 is a bit of a step up, but it much less of a jump than GCSE to AS is for most people.

If you're struggling to get the amount of work done that you need to, maybe try staying in school or in a library to do work so that you don't get distracted. Also, study mark schemes. Exam technique is very important and good technique can really improve your grades.

Ok so i'll need to memorise much more information. How many essays would I have to write in exams ? Would I have learn more research methods ?

I'll have a look at the mark schemes but should I look at the examiners report too ?
A2 I thought was much harder for both chem and bio but I enjoyed both at A2 so I was willing to work hard for the grade (bio especially as I hated AS bio). I also though A2 psychology was harder than AS but that's because the exams structure changes from short questions + a few essays to full, longer essays. I dunno, again I enjoyed A2 though more than AS but it was a lot of stress
Original post by Shanzii
Ok so i'll need to memorise much more information. How many essays would I have to write in exams ? Would I have learn more research methods ?

I'll have a look at the mark schemes but should I look at the examiners report too ?

I think it depends on the exam board. I did AQA and each exam had 2/3 essays, then one had research methods. RM is basically the same as AS, the only new stuff you need to learn really is about statistical tests and I'm pretty sure you learn about the same tests in bio too as all the bio students in my class aced that section.

Yeah, examiners reports are good too, they give you an idea of what people usually waste time writing about.
Reply 5
Original post by bluebeetle
I think it depends on the exam board. I did AQA and each exam had 2/3 essays, then one had research methods. RM is basically the same as AS, the only new stuff you need to learn really is about statistical tests and I'm pretty sure you learn about the same tests in bio too as all the bio students in my class aced that section.

Yeah, examiners reports are good too, they give you an idea of what people usually waste time writing about.

I do AQA A spec. The stuff about the research method sounds reassuring.
Ok, thank you very much :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by mynameisntbobk
A2 I thought was much harder for both chem and bio but I enjoyed both at A2 so I was willing to work hard for the grade (bio especially as I hated AS bio). I also though A2 psychology was harder than AS but that's because the exams structure changes from short questions + a few essays to full, longer essays. I dunno, again I enjoyed A2 though more than AS but it was a lot of stress

I heard that bio and chem would be harder at A2. So they'll be longer essays in A2 psych ? Sounds scary and stressful :s-smilie: But i'll be willing to work hard to get better grades
Reply 7
Original post by Shanzii
I'll be doing psychology, biology and chemistry at A2. I got BDD at AS as I messed up my unit 1 exams for chemistry and biology which brought down my grade badly so i'll be retaking them.

Does anyone have any revision tips or advice in general about A2 ?

Of those, I did Biology and Chemistry. The step-up is nowhere near as steep as from GCSE to AS. It is harder, but you are a year older, so should be more mature and more determined to work hard (some people may not be). The course for Biology is a lot longer, I doubt you will finish it at school before study leave. My school told us to teach it to ourselves over study leave (and I went to a very good grammar school) therefore I'd advise you to keep ahead of what you cover in school.
Reply 8
Original post by Adam'
Of those, I did Biology and Chemistry. The step-up is nowhere near as steep as from GCSE to AS. It is harder, but you are a year older, so should be more mature and more determined to work hard (some people may not be). The course for Biology is a lot longer, I doubt you will finish it at school before study leave. My school told us to teach it to ourselves over study leave (and I went to a very good grammar school) therefore I'd advise you to keep ahead of what you cover in school.

Ok, doesn't sound that bad. I'll definitely be working much harder during A2 but my school doesn't allow us to have study leave
Original post by Shanzii
I heard that bio and chem would be harder at A2. So they'll be longer essays in A2 psych ? Sounds scary and stressful :s-smilie: But i'll be willing to work hard to get better grades

They are, but if you enjoy it then it doesn't seem all that bad. Yep you go from 12 marks at AS to 24 marks (8+16) and it's very very difficult to hit full AO2 as there are certain skills you need to have when writing essays. It was very stressful but believe me, the work you put in does pay off

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending