The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Little Tail Chaser
Oh, I didn't mean 'girls' as in schoolgirls! :lol:

No, that absolutely would not be okay. Not at all.

I'm not even sure I fully support student/teacher friendships, really. It's good to get on well obviously, and I'm extremely grateful for their help and support, but I'd definitely hesitate to refer to my teachers as my friends.

As I mentioned previously, I think that it's important to have distinct differences between professional relationships and friendships (and definitely romantic and sexual relationships!!!!). My teachers have a job to do. As a student I'm essentially a client of my school, and I don't feel comfortable with the idea of getting too close to anybody. I have my own friends, and I stick with them for a reason. I have to see my teachers whether I like them or not, whereas I only have 'friends' whose company I enjoy, so there's a difference in that respect. If in a few years I'm still in contact with any of my teachers then I'll probably consider them to be friends, but for now, nah :tongue:

One of the coolest teachers I had was also an avid gamer. I dreamed of gaming with him, but he had a PS3 and I only had a PC TuT

My Latin teacher also used to play World of Warcraft a lot, and back then, some of my friends and I played and we were SO determined to find him. We couldn't though :lol:

Would it be weird if I was killing bosses with my teachers? :lol:
Can you year 13s help me?
I am doing as and a2 self study at home in English literature, psychology and sociology. Does any one have any advice as I have never done the actual a levels before just the access course (now not accepted anywhere)

Please help me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robertus
I think there's a fine line that needs to be drawn when it comes to the student-teacher relationship.

I do believe it's important for people to have open discussions with their teachers though. As long as it doesn't cross into much too personal territory. I think one of my school's Classics teachers, who will be taking my class next year, struck the right balance with this. He's a lovely guy, you can easily have a chat with him about anything from academia to contemporary music, but he keeps certain things private and maintains a good level of authority over everyone.

Absolutely. My best teachers have been people who knew me well and who I could speak to about literally anything. We respected each other, got along extremely well and knew when a discussion was confidential and private. But we both knew exactly where we stood.
I think there's a fine line that needs to be drawn when it comes to the student-teacher relationship.

I do believe it's important for people to have open discussions with their teachers though. As long as it doesn't cross into much too personal territory. I think one of my school's Classics teachers, who will be taking my class next year, struck the right balance with this. He's a lovely guy, you can easily have a chat with him about anything from academia to contemporary music, but he keeps certain things private and maintains a good level of authority over everyone.

Oh, I didn't mean 'girls' as in schoolgirls! :lol:

No, that absolutely would not be okay. Not at all.

I'm not even sure I fully support student/teacher friendships, really. It's good to get on well obviously, and I'm extremely grateful for their help and support, but I'd definitely hesitate to refer to my teachers as my friends.

As I mentioned previously, I think that it's important to have distinct differences between professional relationships and friendships (and definitely romantic and sexual relationships!!!!). My teachers have a job to do. As a student I'm essentially a client of my school, and I don't feel comfortable with the idea of getting too close to anybody. I have my own friends, and I stick with them for a reason. I have to see my teachers whether I like them or not, whereas I only have 'friends' whose company I enjoy, so there's a difference in that respect. If in a few years I'm still in contact with any of my teachers then I'll probably consider them to be friends, but for now, nah :tongue:

Hmmmm...

I don't see what's wrong with it though, if they happen to fall in love :ahee:

Like student teachers, coming in. But yeah :mmm:

My favourite teacher now, can talk school, can talk music, can talk football, he's great. Obviously not friends, but its a v nice relationship.
Original post by Bude8
One of the coolest teachers I had was also an avid gamer. I dreamed of gaming with him, but he had a PS3 and I only had a PC TuT

My Latin teacher also used to play World of Warcraft a lot, and back then, some of my friends and I played and we were SO determined to find him. We couldn't though :lol:

I dunno, it's certainly not something that I would do, but if you were both comfortable with it then I guess it's okay.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Hmmmm...

I don't see what's wrong with it though, if they happen to fall in love :ahee:

Like student teachers, coming in. But yeah :mmm:

My favourite teacher now, can talk school, can talk music, can talk football, he's great. Obviously not friends, but its a v nice relationship.

It's wrong because the teacher abused a position of trust, and the potential for exploitation is huge. Think that even with student teachers (who are probably at least four years older than the oldest students will have a massive difference in life experience, having lived by themselves and having gone to university. Not to mention the fact that it's illegal.

Yeah, I've had some great teachers that I could literally go to for anything, but they weren't my friends and I don't think it's at all disrespectful to say that. I respected them immensely, but that didn't make them my friends :tongue:
I dunno, it's certainly not something that I would do, but if you were both comfortable with it then I guess it's okay.

Well, when some people play games they're like completely different haha

This is the sort of thing we'd be doing - skip to 12 minutes and just listen for the next 30 seconds or so :lol: NERD SCREAMSSSSS
[video="youtube;bMRAox_qCUU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMRAox_qCUU#t=720[/video]
Original post by Bude8

Well, when you think about it, it is entirely possible that you could have already run into a teacher or some other form of staff from your school online. :redface:

He/she could have passed you by in a city on World of Warcraft, or replied to one of your posts on TSR... You never know, since everyone's anonymous. :colondollar:
Well, when you think about it, it is entirely possible that you could have already run into a teacher or some other form of staff from your school online. :redface:

He/she could have passed you by in a city on World of Warcraft, or replied to one of your posts on TSR... You never know, since everyone's anonymous. :colondollar:

Oh hey Rob, it's your Classics teacher :redface:
Original post by Bude8
Oh hey Rob, it's your Classics teacher :redface:

Gasp! My cover has been blown! :colondollar:
My old school got twitter so we could get work while we were shut during the asbestos saga, but I don't even know what College are going to do with Instagram, I hope they don't find all my selfies or something._.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blamethenargles
My old school got twitter so we could get work while we were shut during the asbestos saga, but I don't even know what College are going to do with Instagram, I hope they don't find all my selfies or something._.

Posted from TSR Mobile

At least selfies are relatively harmless... albeit embarrassing :tongue:
If we request as level remarks, what date do we roughly expect to hear of the outcome?
DOES THIS RULE APPLY TO US A2 STUDENTS? :redface:

I saw a thread where - correct me if i'm wrong - USYCOOL said there was a new official rule regarding exam retakes.

To retake an exam which you did poorly in say Maths - C1: a + C2: a + S1: b
^ If you wish to retake S1 you have to retake C1 & C2 again due to there being a new 'Terminal rule' = 100% and not 40%.
BUT SURELY THERE IS A FLAW -> A person could deliberately not revise for an exam which they scored significantly high in & just revise for the exams they did poor in. However, it would only be an missed opportunity to score even higher.

Does this apply to us this coming year i.e 2015 May/June AS/A2 exams etc ?
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
DOES THIS RULE APPLY TO US A2 STUDENTS? :redface:

I saw a thread where - correct me if i'm wrong - USYCOOL said there was a new official rule regarding exam retakes.

To retake an exam which you did poorly in say Maths - C1: a + C2: a + S1: b
^ If you wish to retake S1 you have to retake C1 & C2 again due to there being a new 'Terminal rule' = 100% and not 40%.
BUT SURELY THERE IS A FLAW -> A person could deliberately not revise for an exam which they scored significantly high in & just revise for the exams they did poor in. However, it would only be an missed opportunity to score even higher.

Does this apply to us this coming year i.e 2015 May/June AS/A2 exams etc ?

I don't think so, I thought it was a GCSE rule and the "terminal rule" kicks in when A-levels become linear (i.e. never for us because we've started modular ones).

But then I'm in Wales where the rules are different.
Original post by LeFailFish
At least selfies are relatively harmless... albeit embarrassing :tongue:

True, it could be worse :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
If we request as level remarks, what date do we roughly expect to hear of the outcome?

Depends on the exam board. Edexcel tend to be quite quick whereas OCR tend to be slow - but it varies wildly.
GUYS GUYS GUYS
Personal Statement has to be 4,000 characters, right?
Can we go over/under it? I have no idea><
GUYS GUYS GUYS

4000 characters max :smile: you can go under but if you go too much under it might look like you don't have enough to say...:s-smilie:
GUYS GUYS GUYS

Can go under. I'd say 3500 minimum

Latest