The Student Room Group

miser lifts a weight off his shoulders

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Tony Stark
I understand with people like miser though, eating way more than you're used to is damn hard. Nothing's worse than having a massive plate of pasta infront of you and feeling you're trapped because of no appetite. Slowly increasing intake over time works better than a sudden change i feel.

So many feels

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, that's a good point. I find it quite difficult to stuff myself really - for some reason I eat really slowly. Since I can't eat a ton in one go, meeting my caloric goals becomes a slow-and-steady type process, which feels like food has become a constant thing on my mind.

Original post by ByronicHero
I read the title as miscer and expected something amusing.

Alas.

Sorry to disappoint!
Original post by miser
Yeah, that's a good point. I find it quite difficult to stuff myself really - for some reason I eat really slowly. Since I can't eat a ton in one go, meeting my caloric goals becomes a slow-and-steady type process, which feels like food has become a constant thing on my mind.

Sorry to disappoint!

Apology accepted.
Reply 142
Wham! Shazam! Fandangle! Yeah!

Workout A
Squats 5x5 57.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Bench press 5x5 37.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Bent over row 5x5 42.5kg Increase of 2.5kg
Barbell shrugs 3x8 45kg Increase of 5kg + 12 reps
Tricep extensions 3x8 32.5kg Increase of 0.5kg
Straight bar 3x11 20kg Increase of 1 rep per set
Cable crunches 3x11 60g Increase of 1 rep per set

Alone in the power cage. We've all been there. I was, anyway. There I was, 57.5kg loaded on the bar. I lifted it up and did my first set. Felt pretty heavy. Too heavy. But I did my set, then another, then another. I struggled on the last rep and started to doubt myself. I didn't think I'd make it. But I kept going. I finished another set. Now I really wasn't sure I would make it. I looked myself in the eye, gave myself the signal. I squared up and pushed, then again, and again, and again. I had one rep left. I hestitated. I let the flames well up inside me, then unleashed the sheer force of will and determination. "UP!" I thought. "HEAVE HO!!!"

Bench press was up next and I loaded on 2.5kg from what I managed on Sunday. Another tough trial. I was close to failing on the 3rd set, then again on the 4th set, and again on the 5th set. But I kept lifting until I'd lifted them all.

Bent over row I increased as well by 2.5kg. I could still feel DOMS in the small of my back from deadlifting on Wednesday. The weight was just right to push me to my maximum.

Barbell shrugs. 5kg increase to 45kg. One set, powered through. Two set, powered through. Then on the third set I went for broke. I started channeling the spirit of a mysterious strongman. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8... then 9, 10, 11, 12, 13... But I wasn't done yet! 14, 15, 16, 17... Not even now! 18... 19..! 20!!!

Tricep extensions I increased by 0.5kg compared with Sunday's workout, despite having failed by 2 reps. This day was a different story. The weights felt light. Did my 3x8 with no problems whatsoever.

Back on the bar for straight bar. Last time I went for 3x11 but failed on the 8th rep of the final set. This time I was pumped. I was ready for it. The first set was pretty tough. The second set was even tougher. Then the final set, I started to really struggle around the 6th rep. But I kept going. The last two I screwed my face up like I'd discovered the nutritional value of guano. "ARGGHHHHH" I said in my head and lifted with all my might.

Cable crunches I kept at 60kg and went to increase from 3x10 to 3x11. Another hard few sets but I huffed and I puffed and I brought the sets home.

That's what I call a workout.

Next workout on Sunday.
Reply 143
Made a new weight gain shake today.

2 tbsp peanut butter
250ml whole milk
100ml whipping cream
2 tbsp frozen summer berries
1 scoop strawberry protein powder

850 calories and 40g protein, nice!

Spoiler

Original post by miser
Made a new weight gain shake today.

2 tbsp peanut butter
250ml whole milk
100ml whipping cream
2 tbsp frozen summer berries
1 scoop strawberry protein powder

850 calories and 40g protein, nice!

Spoiler

Sure on that protein count?

Just go pint of milk and double scoop of protein. Easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by miser
I know it's not impossible, but I do find it very difficult. So far I've found it time consuming, expensive, and something that has to be constantly thought about and considered if I don't want to fall behind. I know there are ways to do it better, but I've not found any of it particularly easy so far.

Honestly it's not that difficult, I take in 4000 kcals a day in 3-4 meals without any protein shakes. Biggest thing that helps: granola
Reply 146
Original post by Motorbiker
Sure on that protein count?

Just go pint of milk and double scoop of protein. Easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

As in am I sure it's accurate? I just added it up with the ingredients' entries on myfitnesspal, so no not sure, just what myfitnesspal said. :h:
Original post by miser
As in am I sure it's accurate? I just added it up with the ingredients' entries on myfitnesspal, so no not sure, just what myfitnesspal said. :h:

Just seemed low to me then I realised it was not much milk and only one scoop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Original post by MattyR2895
Honestly it's not that difficult, I take in 4000 kcals a day in 3-4 meals without any protein shakes. Biggest thing that helps: granola

People keep telling me it's not difficult. Maybe it's the easiest thing in the world, but I haven't cracked it yet.

Just looked granola up and you're right, I'm surprised how much is in it. Looks like a good idea.
Reply 149
Just seemed low to me then I realised it was not much milk and only one scoop.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. It made for about a 500ml drink.
These reviews are like a rocky montage lol
Reply 151
Original post by illusionz
These reviews are like a rocky montage lol

The world is my gym.

[video="youtube;hqOBR_Xbw2I"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqOBR_Xbw2I[/video]
Original post by miser
People keep telling me it's not difficult. Maybe it's the easiest thing in the world, but I haven't cracked it yet.

Just looked granola up and you're right, I'm surprised how much is in it. Looks like a good idea.

150g of granola fills like a 1/4 of a bowl and it's like 650 cals. Add 50g of regular cereal and some whole milk and it's an easy 1000 cals
Reply 153
Original post by MattyR2895
150g of granola fills like a 1/4 of a bowl and it's like 650 cals. Add 50g of regular cereal and some whole milk and it's an easy 1000 cals

That's awesome! I'll definitely be trying this out. Thanks for the tip.
Reply 154
Today I had some wonderful jasmine tea infused by a lotus bud that flowered inside the tea pot. Outside of the pot, the flower was just a bud; the flower only bloomed after it had been placed under the tea pot's harsh conditions. That's when it hit me: the tea pot was the gym.

The stress of harsh conditions forces us to grow, and the only way to reach our potential is to have the nerve to willingly impose those conditions on ourselves. The discipline, the intensity. Have the balls to submerge yourself. Endure it and bloom like the lotus in my tea pot.

Go forth all you blog readers and reveal to everyone your true potential!
Reply 155
Bit of a mixed one today. I got to the gym later than I should have done so only had 45 minutes to do my routine. Consequently I rushed a bit and scrimped a little on my rest time, but I also had the gym to myself for the last 30 minutes so had no interruptions.

Workout B
Squats 5x5 60kg Increase of 2.5kg
Deadlift 1x5 60kg No increase
Standing press 5x6 25kg Increase of 1 rep per set
Bent over row 5x5 40kg Increase of 2.5kg
Close grip bench press 2x8 32.5kg Decrease of 1 set
Straight bar 3x11 20kg No increase
Cable crunches 3x10 63.5kg Increase of 3.5kg

Squats: I reached a little milestone today in that I reached the use of 20kg plates. The squats were tough as hell though and I think my form started to become compromised. I'm tempted to keep it as this weight for a week and focus on squatting smoother and deeper.

Deadlift: Kept at 60kg due to still getting DOMS on my back and still getting to grips with the form. Will see how my back feels tomorrow before deciding whether to up the weight for next workout.

Standing press: Because progress has been very slow on this exercise I opted to increase the reps rather than increase the weight. I increased from 5x5 to 5x6 and just about managed it - the final rep was really a fight. But that's to be expected, as gravity's still learning it's no match for my tiny muscles.

Bent over row (-10%): Upped by 2.5kg to 40kg and had no problems. This felt like just the right amount of weight to work with.

Close grip bench press: Initially I made a mistake and loaded 37.5kg instead of 32.5kg. I started my first set and it was a good simulation of what it would be like benching on Saturn. I managed 4 reps, then fixed to a terrestrial 32.5kg. I managed a set of 8 reps, but totally maxed it out. Couldn't manage a third set. Not sure if the 37.5kg messed me up or if it was the standing press, but I couldn't continue so I moved on to the next exercise.

Straight bar: My arms were feeling pretty fatigued by this point so I tried to match my previous 3x11 and push for as many reps as possible on the last set. As it happened, I completely maxed out on 3x11 and there was no way I could have managed a 12th. I think these are just generally tougher on Workout B.

Cable crunches: I increased this to 63.5kg and reset to 10 reps. This was the perfect amount and really pushed me to the limit.

Walking home I felt pretty good. Making plenty of progress still. Becoming more at one with myself and the natural world. At least, I think so, as I met a fox and a hedgehog whilst walking home. The hedgehog walked over to me so I took its picture. I think he was trying to tell me he reads my fitness blog.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by miser
Bit of a mixed one today. I got to the gym later than I should have done so only had 45 minutes to do my routine. Consequently I rushed a bit and scrimped a little on my rest time, but I also had the gym to myself for the last 30 minutes so had no interruptions.

Workout B
Squats5x560kgIncrease of 2.5kg
Deadlift1x560kgNo increase
Standing press5x625kgIncrease of 1 rep per set
Bent over row5x540kgIncrease of 2.5kg
Close grip bench press2x832.5kgDecrease of 1 set
Straight bar3x1120kgNo increase
Cable crunches3x1063.5kgIncrease of 3.5kg

Squats: I reached a little milestone today in that I reached the use of 20kg plates. The squats were tough as hell though and I think my form started to become compromised. I'm tempted to keep it as this weight for a week and focus on squatting smoother and deeper.

Deadlift: Kept at 60kg due to still getting DOMS on my back and still getting to grips with the form. Will see how my back feels tomorrow before deciding whether to up the weight for next workout.

Standing press: Because progress has been very slow on this exercise I opted to increase the reps rather than increase the weight. I increased from 5x5 to 5x6 and just about managed it - the final rep was really a fight. But that's to be expected, as gravity's still learning it's no match for my tiny muscles.

Walking home I felt pretty good. Making plenty of progress still. Becoming more at one with myself and the natural world. At least, I think so, as I met a fox and a hedgehog whilst walking home. The hedgehog walked over to me so I took its picture. I think he was trying to tell me he reads my fitness blog.

I remember that first one plate squat day. It's a good feeling. First two plate Squats day is even better, three is pretty good and four was awesome.

Cute hedgehog.

You coming to the modmeet? There's rlw31, the female fitness mod that Squats around 120kg coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
I remember that first one plate squat day. It's a good feeling. First two plate Squats day is even better, three is pretty good and four was awesome.

Cute hedgehog.

You coming to the modmeet? There's rlw31, the female fitness mod that Squats around 120kg coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, absolutely coming. Wow, impressive.
Original post by miser
Yeah, absolutely coming. Wow, impressive.

I just realised I strict press 10kg more than your deadlift. :wink:

I'll be the fat short guy with the big neck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
I just realised I strict press 10kg more than your deadlift. :wink:

I'll be the fat short guy with the big neck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Revel while you can. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest