The Student Room Group

A-level choices *HELP*

hi everyone , so i want to do 4 A-levels to A2 and i was thinking biology,chemistry ,maths and sociology. I want to do medicine hopefully in the future and would like to ask how is the work load for these subjects and since they are all linear , will it be too much ? and can someone explain how maths is now linear ? do you take all 6 modules in june of your A2 year ?
You take your AS level exams in June 2015, and your A2 level exams in June 2016, you haven't been affected by the "end of two years" changes.

So for maths, you will take C1, C2 and [M1/S1/D1] in June 2015.

The workload is manageable. I took Maths, Physics, Biology and Media and whilst they do like to pile on homework (because there is so much content, especially in Biology), it's nothing a decent work ethic can't handle. However, come exam time, maths will have three exams, so you will have to do nine exams, not eight like most people you know, so be sure to plan your time well about six weeks before your first exam.
Original post by loperdoper
You take your AS level exams in June 2015, and your A2 level exams in June 2016, you haven't been affected by the "end of two years" changes.

So for maths, you will take C1, C2 and [M1/S1/D1] in June 2015.

The workload is manageable. I took Maths, Physics, Biology and Media and whilst they do like to pile on homework (because there is so much content, especially in Biology), it's nothing a decent work ethic can't handle. However, come exam time, maths will have three exams, so you will have to do nine exams, not eight like most people you know, so be sure to plan your time well about six weeks before your first exam.

no i start 6th form in june 2015 but my first exam is june 2016 so i am affected by the changes. so would i do all maths exams in june 2017 ?
bump
bump
Reply 5
Biology is awesome. You'll love it. (I just completed AS) The workload is tough, but the work is all really interesting. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Robin55
Biology is awesome. You'll love it. (I just completed AS) The workload is tough, but the work is all really interesting. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah , i love biology , what other subjects are you doing ?
I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, History, Physics and English Literature!
Reply 8
I think it would be better to do 3 instead of 4. Reason i say this is because universities won't really care if you have done a 4th A level especially if you dont do as well because you did the 4th A level.
Reply 9
I'm doing Chemistry Biology and Art.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Yeah, I can pretty much guarantee one of those will be too much for you and you'll end up dropping one, most people do...

See how your AS's go, you're not even in college yet, chill.
Original post by Humzaawan123
no i start 6th form in june 2015 but my first exam is june 2016 so i am affected by the changes. so would i do all maths exams in june 2017 ?

Oh, I'm sorry! Certain subjects/exam boards will be phased in at different times (for instance, OCR bio and chem will change in 2015, but WJEC film studies is due for a 2017 change), but if you do get affected, then you'll take all six exams at the end of the two years, yes.
Oh, I'm sorry! Certain subjects/exam boards will be phased in at different times (for instance, OCR bio and chem will change in 2015, but WJEC film studies is due for a 2017 change), but if you do get affected, then you'll take all six exams at the end of the two years, yes.

ok i guess i will stick with 3 A-levels then but i don't know what to do for my AS-level
ok i guess i will stick with 3 A-levels then but i don't know what to do for my AS-level

AS level maths only has three exams
AS level maths only has three exams

i really like maths though which is why i want to do the full A-level in it , what subjects did you do ?
i really like maths though which is why i want to do the full A-level in it , what subjects did you do ?

I just finished my AS' in Maths, Media, Biology and Physics, and next year I'll be doing A2 Maths, Media and Biology with an AS in Further Maths

Quick Reply

Latest