The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James A
Matthew 10:33 says this:

But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

In other words, if they think you are crazy because you believe in God and Jesus, they have denied God in heaven.

Our role on this earth is to spread the news about God and Jesus!

We gotta be bold when talking to others about our faith, I do have a brilliant book I can recommend you which helps us to form good arguments for the case of believing in God. I'll message you if you wanna see it on amazon (anyone else is free to quote me if you want me to pm the book name too).

I want to see the link please

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
Trying to quote you on something :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You OK hun? :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
You OK hun? :hugs:

Yeah. Tried to quote you on another thread, it's gone now though. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello,

I have noticed that most Christians on TSR are liberal or not very devout? If I'm right then why is this so? What is in your opinion a "devout Christian"?
Original post by Ankabout
Hello,

I have noticed that most Christians on TSR are liberal or not very devout? If I'm right then why is this so? What is in your opinion a "devout Christian"?

Im not a devout christian, but it doesnt make me any less of a christian. Just because i dont go to church doesnt mean i dont believe in god, or anything.
I dont go to church because iv recently moved and dont feel comfortable going into an unknown service probably due to my anxiety/paranoia. But i still thank god for a lot of things in my life, i still have moments of reflection in daily life.

I think people should do what they feel comfortable with, and not feel forced into doing something because thats what their religion say, to me thats not religion. Its a personal thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Im not a devout christian, but it doesnt make me any less of a christian. Just because i dont go to church doesnt mean i dont believe in god, or anything.
I dont go to church because iv recently moved and dont feel comfortable going into an unknown service probably due to my anxiety/paranoia. But i still thank god for a lot of things in my life, i still have moments of reflection in daily life.

I think people should do what they feel comfortable with, and not feel forced into doing something because thats what their religion say, to me thats not religion. Its a personal thing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok. :smile: So, what is a "devout Christian" in your view? A Christian who goes to church regularly?
Oh ok. :smile: So, what is a "devout Christian" in your view? A Christian who goes to church regularly?

A person who loves the Lord our God with all their heart, all their soul, and all their might and who worships Him in spirit and in truth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Joannywhite
A person who loves the Lord our God with all their heart, all their soul, and all their might and who worships Him in spirit and in truth :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok and are you that person? :tongue: Whoops I'm mixing people. Would you consider yourself "devout"?
Ok and are you that person? :tongue: Whoops I'm mixing people. Would you consider yourself "devout"?

Nobody is perfect. We sin and we have shortcomings but we strife for perfection and holiness just as God himself is holy. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You dont have to go to church to be devout, some people cant get to church for different reasons such as transport, not living near enough to a church, maybe have a job that stops them going to church. But does that mean their not devout? What about those that are ill?

Like i said i think religion is a personal thing, and you can keep it very personal and quiet but still be very religious. Does it make me a bad person because i dont go to church, and dont follow the bible to the letter? No. I still believe in god, and my faith.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nobody is perfect. We sin and we have shortcomings but we strife for perfection and holiness just as God himself is holy. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes of course nobody is perfect. So "devout Christian" cannot exist since no one is perfect?
Original post by PandaWho
You dont have to go to church to be devout, some people cant get to church for different reasons such as transport, not living near enough to a church, maybe have a job that stops them going to church. But does that mean their not devout? What about those that are ill?

Like i said i think religion is a personal thing, and you can keep it very personal and quiet but still be very religious. Does it make me a bad person because i dont go to church, and dont follow the bible to the letter? No. I still believe in god, and my faith.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok so you would consider yourself "devout" then (since you can be religious/devout without going to church or following the Bible to the letter)? If not what would it take to be devout?
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes of course nobody is perfect. So "devout Christian" cannot exist since no one is perfect?

A devout Christian would actually live and follow the footsteps of Jesus. I'm sure there are Christians who are devoted and committed to God but there are different levels of devotion and this would be between you and God.

I personally do not boast of my abilities because it is not by my might or by my power but by the Holy Spirit who gives me the strength to stay committed and faithful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A devout Christian would actually live and follow the footsteps of Jesus. I'm sure there are Christians who are devoted and committed to God but there are different levels of devotion and this would be between you and God.

I personally do not boast of my abilities because it is not by my might or by my power but by the Holy Spirit who gives me the strength to stay committed and faithful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok so what would it take for you to become devout? If you're already committed and faithful, what else do you need to do? Give more charity? Read Bible more?
Hello,

I think there can be various interpretations as to the meaning of devout.

The Greatest Commandment - Matthew 22 v 37

…36"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37And He said to him, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38"This is the great and foremost commandment.

…..by this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one for another.

All Christians, 'devout' or not emulate to do this.

I think I am a devout Christian in that I am devoted to God. Being devoted to God means I try to follow Christ's teachings as much as possible in my daily life and walk with God.

Being devout is more than just following rules and regulations (like going to church once a week) as Jesus taught us.
Original post by Grace by Yahweh
I think there can be various interpretations as to the meaning of devout.

The Greatest Commandment - Matthew 22 v 37

…36"Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?" 37And He said to him, "'YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.' 38"This is the great and foremost commandment.

…..by this shall all men know that you are my disciples, if you have love one for another.

All Christians, 'devout' or not emulate to do this.

I think I am a devout Christian in that I am devoted to God. Being devoted to God means I try to follow Christ's teachings as much as possible in my daily life and walk with God.

Being devout is more than just following rules and regulations (like going to church once a week) as Jesus taught us.

Ok thank you for your reply. :smile:
Reply 3776
Hello,

I can honestly say I haven't noticed that, no - but then I do spend most of my time on X-Soc :wink:

You can't measure it by whether a person goes to Church as they may be housebound for some physical or psychological reason, or not have access.

You can't measure it by Bible reading as they may be illiterate or (with early Christians for example) not have a Bible.

You can't measure it with charitable actions as the more devout they are the less public and visible they will make these actions, or they may be too poor.

You can't measure it by evangelism as some have low confidence and their faith is quiet but deep.

There is no way for a person to measure another person's faith, but in the end it doesn't matter, for this does not concern them. The only person who should care is God, and God measures faith by how much a person loves and lives for his Lord and for his neighbour. There is no other way than this.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Diety
I can honestly say I haven't noticed that, no - but then I do spend most of my time on X-Soc :wink:

You can't measure it by whether a person goes to Church as they may be housebound for some physical or psychological reason, or not have access.

You can't measure it by Bible reading as they may be illiterate or (with early Christians for example) not have a Bible.

You can't measure it with charitable actions as the more devout they are the less public and visible they will make these actions, or they may be too poor.

You can't measure it by evangelism as some have low confidence and their faith is quiet but deep.

There is no way for a person to measure another person's faith, but in the end it doesn't matter, for this does not concern them. The only person who should care is God, and God measures faith by how much a person loves and lives for his Lord and for his neighbour. There is no other way than this.

Ok so in light of the above, is it fair to say that a devout Christian is someone who "loves and lives for his Lord and for his neighbour"?

So when a Christian says they are not devout it means they love God less? What are they trying to say? :smile:
Reply 3778
Ok so in light of the above, is it fair to say that a devout Christian is someone who "loves and lives for his Lord and for his neighbour"?

In my view, yes :smile:

So when a Christian says they are not devout it means they love God less? What are they trying to say? :smile:

I think the usual subtext when someone says they are not very devout is that God and the love and worship of God does not play a very big role in their lives.
Original post by Diety
I think the usual subtext when someone says they are not very devout is that God and the love and worship of God does not play a very big role in their lives.

Ah, that's what has been puzzling me. Thanks for your input. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending