The Student Room Group

GCSEs/Medicine hopeful

Hi, I know there are so many sources I could, and have, got info on how good your grades need to be for medicine but I was just hoping for some opinions;

I got 5A* and 5A, and 1 A* in RS short course
A*s
Eng lit
Eng lang
Chem
Physics
Maths

As:
Bio (really ticked off I didn't get an A* in this, my ISA was v. poor)
Economics
Hist
BCS
German

Do you think I am in a weak position? Will I need to be acing my AS levels with full UMS to stand a chance for med schools? and if you are also applying for medicine, share what you got at gcse im curious to know

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your GCSE's are fine. No need to worry.
Just focus on your A-Levels and get the best you can.
Original post by hi-zen-berg
Hi, I know there are so many sources I could, and have, got info on how good your grades need to be for medicine but I was just hoping for some opinions;

I got 5A* and 5A, and 1 A* in RS short course
A*s
Eng lit
Eng lang
Chem
Physics
Maths

As:
Bio (really ticked off I didn't get an A* in this, my ISA was v. poor)
Economics
Hist
BCS
German

Do you think I am in a weak position? Will I need to be acing my AS levels with full UMS to stand a chance for med schools? and if you are also applying for medicine, share what you got at gcse im curious to know

Your GCSE results are absolutely fine, but the fact that you aren't planning to study Chemistry at A-level concerns me, as it is a requirement at pretty much all medical schools (even more than biology). :smile:
Good luck!
Original post by Huda_medo
Your GCSE results are absolutely fine, but the fact that you aren't planning to study Chemistry at A-level concerns me, as it is a requirement at pretty much all medical schools (even more than biology). :smile:
Good luck!

OP was listing the subjects they got A grades in, not what AS levels they're taking :smile:
Original post by mollyxrose
OP was listing the subjects they got A grades in, not what AS levels they're taking :smile:

Oh gosh, you're right :') haha thanks for pointing it out :biggrin::colondollar:
Oh gosh, you're right :') haha thanks for pointing it out :biggrin::colondollar:

No problem, I read the post three times before I realised :lol:
Good luck!

Original post by mollyxrose

hahahahaha sorry i didnt make it clear

and mollyrose im doing the same a levels as you that i saw in another thread, bio chem maths eng. lit

Original post by Jelly150
Your GCSE's are fine. No need to worry.
Just focus on your A-Levels and get the best you can.

ok awesome thanks for your response im glad
hahahahaha sorry i didnt make it clear

and mollyrose im doing the same a levels as you that i saw in another thread, bio chem maths eng. lit

ok awesome thanks for your response im glad

Well done with your results! I'm sure if you do well over these next two years you'll be fine. It's gonna be a tough two years :tongue:
For my GCSEs I got 1 A* , 1 A, 7 Bs

A* Religoius Education,

A/B double Science

Bs:
History
Art
Spanish
English Lang
English Lit
Maths

Will these grades get me into medicine? I already have 1 month work experience. I am planning to do 5 months voluntary work alongside I have a few extra curricular such as NCS- The challenge. I really want to do medicine.
Reply 9
Original post by Elhamm

A* Religoius Education,

A/B double Science

Bs:
History
Art
Spanish
English Lang
English Lit
Maths

Will these grades get me into medicine? I already have 1 month work experience. I am planning to do 5 months voluntary work alongside I have a few extra curricular such as NCS- The challenge. I really want to do medicine.

Why didn't you just make your own thread?
I got
A in Biology
A in Chemistry
A in Social and Religious Studies
A in Mathematics
A in English Literature
B in English Language
C in ICT (Information and Computer Technology )
C in Physics( My biased teacher made me do foundation and predicted I would get Ds in all my sciences :/ )

Are these GCSE grades good enough to do medicine ?? Someone please tell me ! Will the universities consider the fact that I came to do my GCSEs from Ireland at the END of year 10 ? Or that I went to Hathaway Academy( formally known as Grays Arts Media College ) which is the worst performing school in Thurrock ?? Do they take back ground like thta into account ? Someone please tell me !
Original post by Elhamm

A* Religoius Education,

A/B double Science

Bs:
History
Art
Spanish
English Lang
English Lit
Maths

Your GCSEs are below the ones gained by an average successful medical applicant. Although you have achieved the basic 5 A* to C, the fact that you have gained B grades*in maths and English will significantly shorten the list of medical schools you would have a chance of being offered an interview. Although it is not impossible to get an offer, you would have to do your research to identify the med schools that do not require a high gcse profile.
Some may make an allowance if you had extenuating circumstances.

The most important aspect that will be the*deciding factor will be your predicted A level grades, which will have to be AAA.
Original post by Jelly150
Why didn't you just make your own thread?

I asked other medicine hopefuls to also share what they got in their results since we all probably have similar questions and just out of curiosity aswell
Reply 13
I asked other medicine hopefuls to also share what they got in their results since we all probably have similar questions and just out of curiosity aswell

Damn you man I got 2A*s, 7A's and a B.
I want to do medicine or dentistry.
Original post by VonDoom

close, i got A*A*A*AAAAAAAA
Reply 15
I got 1A*, 7A's and 2B's is that good enough for medicine?
Getting a few remarked because I was really close to the boundary.
Original post by leele

yeah just apply to your strengths like i am going to do...
Original post by leele

I would aswell, i was 2 marks off A* in history but it costs like 40 quid to remark through my school and its not even guaranteed to go up a grade sooo idk.

Original post by VonDoom

Solid; which a levels?
Reply 18
I would aswell, i was 2 marks off A* in history but it costs like 40 quid to remark through my school and its not even guaranteed to go up a grade sooo idk.

Solid; which a levels?

OCR Maths, all AQA Sciences.
Reply 19
I got 6 A* and 4 A and I thought I had no chance? For dentistry

Quick Reply

Latest