The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Yo, I'm Eve, I only just joined this forum because I'm kind of a sucky student and I thought it might help me get motivated? I'm going into Year 11 now, taking BTEC Media Studies, Business Studies, Geography and Spanish, as my options, although I didn't really take the latter two by choice, I had to pick a humanities and a language and not enough chose French for the course to run (my school sucks).

After year 11, I'm hoping to take English Lang., Media Studies, Business Studies and something else at A-level. I'm not sure about my last one, it's between IT, computing, and textiles? Or maybe an ology? And then maybe a fashion marketing course at uni. :-)

I'm into fashion and baking. I like to write too, I blog and I just like writing in general haha.

I'm slightly terrified for year 11, given that like I said, I'm awful at studying. If anybody could give me any tips for improving my spanish grades I'd much appreciate since I've been getting C's in mocks and B's in coursework.

What's all your best/worst/favourite subjects? I love english and I've been getting A*'s in all of my English Lang coursework, but then got a B in my English Lit. thing about Shakespeare and Poetry (I think that's lit, right?) since I absolutely despise poetry omg I can't get my head round it at all, and I don't like shakespeare much either.

My other best subject is Business Studies, which I'm concerned is going to be a massive step up at A-level since it's pretty easy atm. Anybody else take it with Edexcel? And BTEC Media has been so much fun too!

Sorry about the massive self-obsessed post haha!?
Reply 521
Original post by evekip
Yo, I'm Eve, I only just joined this forum

What's all your best/worst/favourite subjects? I love english and I've been getting A*'s in all of my English Lang coursework, but then got a B in my English Lit. thing about Shakespeare and Poetry (I think that's lit, right?) since I absolutely despise poetry omg I can't get my head round it at all, and I don't like shakespeare much either.

Hey, welcome to the forum (& the best thread ever... maybe :dontknow:).

I'm good at History, Maths and English Language, bad at English Literature. I, too, hate the poetry part of English Lit. I really like the play we're doing, but I hate analysing it! :angry: I like History, Chemistry and Maths! :wink:
I'm so excited about starting year 11. It feels as though it has been ever since I've had a lesson.

I'm always up for a challenge :smile:
Reply 523
Original post by nox1
Hey, welcome to the forum (& the best thread ever... maybe :dontknow:).

I'm good at History, Maths and English Language, bad at English Literature. I, too, hate the poetry part of English Lit. I really like the play we're doing, but I hate analysing it! :angry: I like History, Chemistry and Maths! :wink:

I wish I enjoyed maths, I'm expected an A and I get so bored and distracted in lessons, so I doubt I'll get that. :/
And yeah, I agree with you, I enjoy the plays and texts, but that's what pushed me towards Lang., I love reading but I hate that they make you over-analyse and look for ridiculous meanings behind stuff, I'd rather just enjoy the story haha.

Original post by NathalieGW
I'm so excited about starting year 11. It feels as though it has been ever since I've had a lesson.

I'm always up for a challenge :smile:

I know right? It's not as bad as usual though for me since I've had some coursework and stuff to do over the summer whereas in the past I've had no work to do, so it shouldn't be so much a shock of the system this year!

But yeah, I'm actually looking forward to going back and getting last 9 months over and done with and onto college! I am not, however, looking forward to getting my statistics coursework done, about a week left of the holidays and still none of my friends or I have tackled it? I have no idea what I'm doing tbh, is anybody else here doing a statistics GCSE?
Original post by Imank01
Most probably. I turn 16 in November so you must have already got yours. Sorry about the clash :s-smilie:

I shall tell you when I get back lol.
Original post by evekip
I wish I enjoyed maths, I'm expected an A and I get so bored and distracted in lessons, so I doubt I'll get that. :/
And yeah, I agree with you, I enjoy the plays and texts, but that's what pushed me towards Lang., I love reading but I hate that they make you over-analyse and look for ridiculous meanings behind stuff, I'd rather just enjoy the story haha.

I know right? It's not as bad as usual though for me since I've had some coursework and stuff to do over the summer whereas in the past I've had no work to do, so it shouldn't be so much a shock of the system this year!

But yeah, I'm actually looking forward to going back and getting last 9 months over and done with and onto college! I am not, however, looking forward to getting my statistics coursework done, about a week left of the holidays and still none of my friends or I have tackled it? I have no idea what I'm doing tbh, is anybody else here doing a statistics GCSE?

I just got my result back for mine as I sat it early (A*). The coursework is as stressful as you make it - I wasn't bothered about it at all but that was because I got it done quickly and made sure I asked my teacher loads of questions when we did mock coursework. (Which I imagine seeing as it's already been set you didn't have). If you've got any questions about it you can PM me :smile: (But obviously give me an outline of the task). I was on AQA but if you're on Edexcel I get the impression the two courses are fairly similar, so I can still be of some use!
Do you guys have study leave this year?
Original post by Iceman5363

This year as in Y11? Yep, starting May 9th.

I do, just don't know when :s-smilie:

tbh I'd prefer to go to school since I won't procrastinate at home...
Original post by Trihawk7
I do, just don't know when :s-smilie:

tbh I'd prefer to go to school since I won't procrastinate at home...

Pretty much the same with me
I couldn't not have study leave, I can't revise when there's people there. Especially if they're talking. :redface:
It feels really weird that I have less then a year left at secondary school

We don't have study leave this year even though all the years before us had it so it's really unfair. They think our year group is too naughty and won't do any revision if they had study leave. I can't revise at school because I'm not comfortable and you have to keep changing class rooms and my friends distract me. So it's just going to be a waste of time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 533
Original post by Canttellyou
We don't have study leave this year even though all the years before us had it so it's really unfair. They think our year group is too naughty and won't do any revision if they had study leave. I can't revise at school because I'm not comfortable and you have to keep changing class rooms and my friends distract me. So it's just going to be a waste of time :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exact same with our year group but the year 11s that just went didn't have it either. It sucks big time.
Original post by Canttellyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Imank01
Exact same with our year group but the year 11s that just went didn't have it either. It sucks big time.

I feel really sorry for you guys, it's so stupid because decisions like that are based solely on how important league tables and results are - surely, if a kid doesn't revise and gets bad grades, that would be their look-out, but now, it's always the teachers' and the school's faults and not the kids', so they keep you in school. Which benefits kids who wouldn't revise at all, but is rubbish for kids who would revise anyway.
Reply 535
Original post by Martie08
I just got my result back for mine as I sat it early (A*). The coursework is as stressful as you make it - I wasn't bothered about it at all but that was because I got it done quickly and made sure I asked my teacher loads of questions when we did mock coursework. (Which I imagine seeing as it's already been set you didn't have). If you've got any questions about it you can PM me :smile: (But obviously give me an outline of the task). I was on AQA but if you're on Edexcel I get the impression the two courses are fairly similar, so I can still be of some use!

Thankyou for that offer! That'd be such a big help, some friends and I are meeting up on Thursday to help eachother with it, but I will PM you if there's any bits I'm still struggling with afterwards. :smile:

I'm not sure if we're getting study leave of not this year since there's been talk of my school abolishing it for the past two or three years. :\ I'm not really that fussed either way though, since I don't have in issue with revising in noisy conditions and in school I'd feel more obligated to revise, but I'd prefer the freedom of study leave (and getting to wear comfortable clothing!)

I agree about the league table thing though, nothing seems to be being done for us (the individual students) anymore, it's all about how the school is presented. At ours for choosing GCSE options, there was 3 different pathways for different levels of ability, and the highest ability students were left with the least choice because they want us doing the English Baccalaureate. :c
Original post by Steliata
I'm not even 15 yet *sigh* I won't be getting mine for another year lol

Whereabouts in Cheshire are you thinking? I'm in Cheshire :smile:

omg hahah Going to Northwich actually to be precise! not quite sure.. I think Altrincham is my first choice.. Others would be the grange school, etc.. but I don't really know which places are good!
When do you guys start school?:smile: I start on the 3rd.
Original post by Nadine_08
When do you guys start school?:smile: I start on the 3rd.

5th for me which is also a Friday, I don't see why they don't just start on the monday after
Reply 539
Original post by slothgenius
omg hahah Going to Northwich actually to be precise! not quite sure.. I think Altrincham is my first choice.. Others would be the grange school, etc.. but I don't really know which places are good!

I live in Northwich! The town's pretty grim and smells like sewage but depends which part you're in I suppose haha.

I start school on the 3rd too. :smile:

Latest