The Student Room Group

The Classics Society Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Robertus
Definitely. Classicists are a rare breed, but for whatever reason they've always seemed to hold the power at my school... Our principal since 2006 is a Classicist, as well as our head of Sixth Form, and Latin/Classics probably organise the most extracurricular trips out of any subject. They do yearly trips to various European countries related to ancient history, for example. (Going to Italy next spring)

Congrats on getting on to your Masters, by the way! I'd like to say I might also be doing post-grad in something Classical one day, but who knows what I might think about the idea after 3 or 4 years of it at degree level. :colondollar:

Ah someone went to a posh school haha! I did intensive languages at uni so classicists definitely held NO sway whatsoever at my school, and at uni they were kinda quiet tbh - I'm hoping Cardiff's society is a little more active.

Thanks! I definitely went through times when I was 200% done with classics during my degree but it just has this sort of hold on me...

---

I don't even know where to start with revising Latin before uni starts. I might just do the end of chapter exercises in Reading Latin and do a reader of some sort.
Original post by Aemiliana

I don't even know where to start with revising Latin before uni starts. I might just do the end of chapter exercises in Reading Latin and do a reader of some sort.

Perhaps start by going over the grammar rules again and using practice sentences to check that you know what you're doing. You could also read brief passages of different Latin works as well (perhaps even those which might be relevant to your dissertation).
Original post by toronto353
Perhaps start by going over the grammar rules again and using practice sentences to check that you know what you're doing. You could also read brief passages of different Latin works as well (perhaps even those which might be relevant to your dissertation).

I know I need to go over the absolute basics too so I've done some of that but yeah getting some real Latin in will definitely help because that's what I'm most afraid of right now!

And it's a whole year before I need to start that - I'm doing it part time so I can afford it.
Ah someone went to a posh school haha! I did intensive languages at uni so classicists definitely held NO sway whatsoever at my school, and at uni they were kinda quiet tbh - I'm hoping Cardiff's society is a little more active.

Thanks! I definitely went through times when I was 200% done with classics during my degree but it just has this sort of hold on me...

Not at all, actually! I'm going to a very regular state comprehensive, just one that has always given rather strong attention to the classical subjects. :smile:

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to do Latin here, so I'll be starting both languages from scratch at uni as well. My school had a very odd system of selection in that the students in top-set Science classes in Year 7/8 were chosen to do Latin, and I was not one of them. I didn't get into studying the ancient world until Sixth Form, when I picked up the Classical Civilisation A-Level and rekindled my youthful interest in Greco-Roman society. :biggrin:

I do hear that my school is going to start offering Ancient Greek as a GCSE/A-Level from September onwards though, so hopefully this trend spreads to other schools quickly!
Original post by Robertus
Not at all, actually! I'm going to a very regular state comprehensive, just one that has always given rather strong attention to the classical subjects. :smile:

Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to do Latin here, so I'll be starting both languages from scratch at uni as well. My school had a very odd system of selection in that the students in top-set Science classes in Year 7/8 were chosen to do Latin, and I was not one of them. I didn't get into studying the ancient world until Sixth Form, when I picked up the Classical Civilisation A-Level and rekindled my youthful interest in Greco-Roman society. :biggrin:

I do hear that my school is going to start offering Ancient Greek as a GCSE/A-Level from September onwards though, so hopefully this trend spreads to other schools quickly!

Oh man, I am so jealous of you right now! (I know I have my degree but I'd have loved to study those things at my crummy school).

I do hear it's becoming more popular - we can but hope!
Hi, I've got a place on Ancient History through clearing - still having some doubts. Did Latin at school and really enjoyed it but we had a terrible teacher. Might like to take it up again - what's the teaching like?
Original post by jaseland
Hi, I've got a place on Ancient History through clearing - still having some doubts. Did Latin at school and really enjoyed it but we had a terrible teacher. Might like to take it up again - what's the teaching like?

That's going to depend entirely on your uni and lecturer.

At Manchester the intensive course (nothing-A level) was via lectures and group readings (total of 3 hours a week) and the Advanced courses were via small classes - 1 was a grammar class and the other was reading the set text.
Does anyone know what was on the A2 aqa exam paper for the Aeneid in summer 2014?
Random question: does anyone else find texts using lunate sigmata very difficult to read? :s-smilie:
Original post by tippi97
Does anyone know what was on the A2 aqa exam paper for the Aeneid in summer 2014?

It was book 2 for section A (with a comparative essay with book 8 (the fall of Troy had a greater impact on the reader than pallas' death in book 8) and option b was book 8 with the 20 marker being on the use of stories from Rome's history. The two 40 markers were on a) the role of fate in the aeneid reduces suspense and excitement - to what extent would Virgils audience have agreed with this statement? and b) Aeneas develops from being the leader of the defeated Trojans into a hero suitable for the age of Augustus - to what extent do you agree? I can email you the question papers/Mark schemes if you like!
Hey guys, long time no post!

I'm half way through my MA now and did pretty darn well on my January Latin exam so that's always nice!

I've decided that I definitely 100% want to do a PGCE in Latin with Classics - I'm just not in a stage in my life where I'm ready to do a PhD and probably either never will be or will be much, much older when I do. I've worked in as a non-teaching member of staff at a school for over a year now and I've done some teaching stuff through uni so I know now that that's what I want to do with the rest of my life!

I also plan on taking A Level Greek next summer. At the moment it's conditional on me finishing most of the 2 volumes of John Taylor's Greek to GCSE over the summer but having bought the first volume and looked through it, that looks entirely possible if I work hard. I'd then probably try to finish the Greek Beyond GCSE book by January (I don't have any uni exams now!) and then spend January to the exam getting to know the set texts and unseens really well.

So if anyone has any experience with the PGCE or any tips for Greek please do let me know!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys, long time no post!

I'm half way through my MA now and did pretty darn well on my January Latin exam so that's always nice!

I've decided that I definitely 100% want to do a PGCE in Latin with Classics - I'm just not in a stage in my life where I'm ready to do a PhD and probably either never will be or will be much, much older when I do. I've worked in as a non-teaching member of staff at a school for over a year now and I've done some teaching stuff through uni so I know now that that's what I want to do with the rest of my life!

I also plan on taking A Level Greek next summer. At the moment it's conditional on me finishing most of the 2 volumes of John Taylor's Greek to GCSE over the summer but having bought the first volume and looked through it, that looks entirely possible if I work hard. I'd then probably try to finish the Greek Beyond GCSE book by January (I don't have any uni exams now!) and then spend January to the exam getting to know the set texts and unseens really well.

So if anyone has any experience with the PGCE or any tips for Greek please do let me know!

Nothing too major but just wanting to point out this as it was a really good resource when I was doing GCSE/AS Greek http://www.etoncollege.com/GreekProject.aspx?nid=e19484e6-707c-44d4-a3d7-f8b93df8751f
(also check out memrise if you don't know about it already)
Salve/χαίρετε!

This thread is for anybody who has an interest in Classics and and the Ancient world!

Is anybody thinking of applying for Classics at university? I was considering it but I cannot take A Level Latin and have not studied any Ancient Greek... Would it be possible to self-teach A Level Latin?

How did everybody's GCSEs and A Levels go? Personally I think my GCSE Latin went pretty well, really hoping for that A*!
These days, you can take both languages from scratch at university in your first year. It's hard work and often many first years find much more interesting things to do than their Latin and Greek work out of classes!
Self teaching is a possibility, but a tutor would be a great investment. I tried self teaching Greek many years ago, but soon gave up due to lack of motivation and lack of understanding!
Original post by Classics_Teacher
These days, you can take both languages from scratch at university in your first year. It's hard work and often many first years find much more interesting things to do than their Latin and Greek work out of classes!
Self teaching is a possibility, but a tutor would be a great investment. I tried self teaching Greek many years ago, but soon gave up due to lack of motivation and lack of understanding!

Can you do a classical language with a modern language? I am taking French for A Level, is there a course for French & Latin?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't do much Classics formally at school but I have an interest in it. Can I hang out here and learn some stuff? :colondollar:
Original post by Star-girl
I didn't do much Classics formally at school but I have an interest in it. Can I hang out here and learn some stuff? :colondollar:

Of course! What's your main interest regarding classics then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by spurs9393
Of course! What's your main interest regarding classics then?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ancient Greek society. Also Ancient architecture, especially Greek. :love:

How about you?
Original post by spurs9393
Can you do a classical language with a modern language? I am taking French for A Level, is there a course for French & Latin?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, although they are usually 4 year courses so that you can study abroad for a year too.
Hey, I've applied for Classical Civilisation and English Lit at uni. Can't wait to choose my modules! :smile: I have a strong interest in Greek and Roman mythology, religion and culture - especially sculpture and relief sculpture e.g. Metopes and stele :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending