The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesg2

And so the question I would ask is what advice do you have on how a student can improve their performance?

Students should never suffer alone. The students who seek out teachers for help almost invariably do well. It's not a matter of just revising loads - you could end up tiring yourself out or losing motivation. I strongly recommend using past papers and testing yourself under exam conditions (sticking to the time limit, no breaks to make a cup of tea or anything).

And, to be honest, it should be a given but making use of the revision sessions. There were 2 students in my Year 11 class this year who turned up to the optional revision sessions and did minimal work; ended up sitting on their phones and watching Youtube videos. I couldn't punish them as their school attendance was optional anyway so I had to leave them to it and focus on those who were receptive. It was a wasted opportunity though and it's no surprise that they didn't get their C grade.

But, yes, number one is to ask for help. Even asking for help on TSR is incredibly helpful.
Original post by Pro_crastinator
So what do you talk about in the staff room?

* Whining about too much work, Gove, senior leaders, other teachers.

* Gossiping about other teachers

* Football/TOWIE/Game of Thrones

Can't think of much else. Contrary to popular belief, we don't talk about students all that much.
Original post by Autistic Merit

Is there a way in which the Government could make teachers' lives easier, subject to the following conditions?
i) The quality of the pupils' learning should not be compromised
ii) A massive amount of funding is not required. (Though a small funding requirement would be ok)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by theOldBean
Is there a way in which the Government could make teachers' lives easier, subject to the following conditions?
i) The quality of the pupils' learning should not be compromised
ii) A massive amount of funding is not required. (Though a small funding requirement would be ok)

Stop punishing schools who exclude. I fear that this would require some funding, though, for the special schools that would need more staff.
Reply 404
Do students ask about how the maths they are doing compares to university maths?
What would you do if one of your students found you on TSR?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did your GCSE students do last Thursday? Are you happy with them?
Original post by godd
Do students ask about how the maths they are doing compares to university maths?

I've never been asked that to be honest.

Original post by Arithmeticae
What would you do if one of your students found you on TSR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Nadine_08
How did your GCSE students do last Thursday? Are you happy with them?

On the whole they did okay. There's one I'm really not happy about, without being too specific, but I know she probably didn't put enough work in. She should have got at least 2 grades higher than what she got.
On the whole they did okay. There's one I'm really not happy about, without being too specific, but I know she probably didn't put enough work in. She should have got at least 2 grades higher than what she got.

Did you do everything you could to help her?
So if you were the minister of education, how would you improve state education and how?
Reply 411
What is the most outrageous thing a student has done in class?
Do you believe in an afterlife?
Do students ask you 'how is this going to help me in real life sir?' A lot and what is your response.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nadine_08
Did you do everything you could to help her?

I felt that I did. I offered a lot of sessions after school as well as during school (she had dropped PE so had some time free on her timetable) but she rarely turned up, even when given reminders the period before.

Original post by Pro_crastinator
So if you were the minister of education, how would you improve state education and how?

Behaviour, behaviour, behaviour. Schools need to be encouraged to have rigid exclusion policies. Bringing in a knife should always be an exclusion. Swearing at a teacher should always be an exclusion (none of this nonsense about the student misbehaving because the lesson wasn't engaging enough; I found Spanish boring but I never told my teacher to go **** himself). Physical bullying should always be an exclusion. Damage to school property should always be an exclusion. Persistent refusal to attend after school detentions should always be an exclusion. You get the idea...

Original post by godd
What is the most outrageous thing a student has done in class?

The classic throwing a chair at me because he couldn't get his own way.

I've also had a few instances of students teasing each other which has then led to a fight in the classroom.
Original post by Emilin
Do you believe in an afterlife?

Nope. :cool:
Original post by Frodokins
Do students ask you 'how is this going to help me in real life sir?' A lot and what is your response.

Posted from TSR Mobile

A lot of the time I admit that they might not ever use it in real life at all (completing the square, Pythagoras, SOHCAHTOA etc.) because, to be honest, that is the truth.

I don't bother to go into all that stuff about constructing bridges

a) because I don't really understand it fully enough to be able to explain how they are connected

b) because the students are often, in my experience, just using that question as an excuse for not trying with the work.

I usually find I get this question asked to me when I give a detention to a student for not doing enough work or chatting too much.
What is your favourite quote?
Original post by Emilin
What is your favourite quote?

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

Oscar Wilde
No.

Girls can be incredibly nasty and their mums can often be worse! Parent's evenings can be awful for the teacher!

I've had nasty rumours spread about me (I won't go into any detail as I'm paranoid that some of my students have TSR). They also try to use their period as an excuse to go to the toilet all the time - I'm sorry but you can't all be on your period at the same time and I swear you were all on it 10 days ago!!

Haha this made me laugh but you'd be surprised. I have 3 friends that very very similar period cycles to me its really weird :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest