Maintenance Loan: £3610
Maintenance Grant: N/A
Bursaries: N/A
Scholarships: N/A
Savings: About £1600
Money from Parents: Dad's paying for accommodation

Accommodation Cost: £5136
Weekly spend after Accommodation: About £70

Does anyone know if your parents splitting up will affect future applications? My dad earns more than my mum does but he no longer lives with us so I was just wondering if that'll change anything?

Yeah it will - my parents are split and I have the same situation. Even if your dad is still helping you, put down single parents status about your mum and that the household income is less because your dad has moved out. If that is happening during this academic year you should contact student finance and tell them the situation has changed. You should then get some cash as maintenance grant not just the loan - also as it's a grant you don't have to pay it back which helps :-) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 461
Original post by T1gga92
Yeah it will - my parents are split and I have the same situation. Even if your dad is still helping you, put down single parents status about your mum and that the household income is less because your dad has moved out. If that is happening during this academic year you should contact student finance and tell them the situation has changed. You should then get some cash as maintenance grant not just the loan - also as it's a grant you don't have to pay it back which helps :-) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

I see, thank you for your help! :smile: xx
Maintenance loan and grant: £7249
Bursary: £3500
Accommodation cost: anywhere from £3800 - £6100, my first choice is £5500
Weekly spend after accommodation: This can vary, if i am successful in obtaining my first choice, which is catered, less money on food shall need to be expended.

I realise in comparison i receive a lot, one time when my parents earning low income is a positive point for me.
Reply 463
Original post by yeollum
I see, thank you for your help! :smile: xx

No worries :-) xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maintaince grant: 3000 or so pounds

Maintainance Loan: nothing, wont apply for it

Other income: I'll get my ESA money cos I suffer from depression ect its 114 pounds every two weeks

Accomadation: none I'll be living at home.
Does anyone know what the income needs to be able to get the National Scholsrship fund?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 466
i actually paid the old tuition fees but i'm a postgraduate at ucl in sept and more or less have to rely on parents to pay for everything, a scholarship worth 3000 is great but not when fees and housing costs 15000...i guess all students have to rely on parents in some sort of way now...:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:
student finance is playing me up atm so i have no idea how much i'm getting :frown: They better hurry up because because i need to pay for first term accomodation by sept 1st :frown: Grrrr...
Reply 468
Original post by moonriver96
student finance is playing me up atm so i have no idea how much i'm getting :frown: They better hurry up because because i need to pay for first term accomodation by sept 1st :frown: Grrrr...

Wow September 1st, that's early.
Original post by Yux
i actually paid the old tuition fees but i'm a postgraduate at ucl in sept and more or less have to rely on parents to pay for everything, a scholarship worth 3000 is great but not when fees and housing costs 15000...i guess all students have to rely on parents in some sort of way now...:frown::frown::frown::frown::frown:

could you not get a loan from a bank?
Maintenance Loan: £3862
Maintenance Grant: £3386
Bursaries: £900 (+ £2000 Possibly depending on my application)
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £300
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £4647.78 (Damn you Clearing!)
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £68 / £121

The £900 will going on course equipment, the joys of being a film student without a decent camera!

I think this is what I'm getting anyway, my firm was in London and I got the full loan so now I'm going through clearing I'm expecting the same just outside of London.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Jammy Duel
could you not get a loan from a bank?

loans for postgrad study are harder to secure and they are less appealing when it comes to paying them back in comparison to student finance loans.
How the hell are all these people getting such large grants and bursaries?
Original post by Davelittle
How the hell are all these people getting such large grants and bursaries?

Low income, area, if you have any dependants etc! Also the bursaries can because of the above, also grade schemes etc!
Original post by David B
Wow September 1st, that's early.

i know! thankfully my mum has some money saved up so she can pay, and i just pay her back later using my grant. It's just a nightmare fml.
Reply 475
Original post by moonriver96
i know! thankfully my mum has some money saved up so she can pay, and i just pay her back later using my grant. It's just a nightmare fml.

That's a relief, glad you got something sorted out.
Maintenance Loan: £5038
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £0
Savings: £100
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £5309.08
Weekly spend after Accommodation: ~ £85
(edited 9 years ago)
Maintenance Loan: £5084
Maintenance Grant: £937
Bursaries: £0
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: paying for accommodation

Accommodation Cost: £
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £200
Original post by 06shawm
Maintenance Loan: £2725
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursaries: £3000
Scholarships: £1000
Savings: £4000
Money from Parents: :no:
Total: £14,112

Accommodation Cost: £0
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £80/week.

That is a lot of money! :eek:
Not looking forward to spending so much money on freshers events and fancy dress, takeaways after nights out, maybe drinks. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest