The Student Room Group

How much student loan are you getting?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 480
Original post by Jammy Duel
could you not get a loan from a bank?

those loans have higher interest rates than the student loans, so instead my parents are helping out from their savings...thank goodness its only 1 year
Original post by Yux
those loans have higher interest rates than the student loans, so instead my parents are helping out from their savings...thank goodness its only 1 year

Surely they can't be much higher than from SF? Especially given how much the interest on the SF loans is likely to be in the future. How bad?
Reply 482
Original post by Jammy Duel
Surely they can't be much higher than from SF? Especially given how much the interest on the SF loans is likely to be in the future. How bad?

well, for me i dont think its worth the risk as i probably need to borrow about 15000 just for this one year , 10000 on tuition, 5000 for housing and maybe even more for london underground transport plus food fees, bills, etc.......
Original post by undertoe
Maintenance Loan: £5084
Maintenance Grant: £937
Bursaries: £0
Scholarships: £0
Savings: £0
Money from Parents: paying for accommodation

Accommodation Cost: £
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £200

That loan :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 484
Maintenance Loan: £5,555
Maintenance Grant: £3,354 (As SSG, so doesn't affect max loan)
Bursaries: £1000
Scholarships: £0-1000, unsure
Money from Parents: Available as required, but nothing regular.

Accommodation Cost: £0
Weekly spend after Accommodation:~£220

From the perspective of a mature student at least, not great, but shouldn't be bad :smile: Reading this thread makes me a bit angry at the system though, too many people being left without support as their parents earn too much. Said parents should also feel incredibly guilty for not investing more money into their kids, if they earn enough to force their kids out of the grants brackets then they must have made some incredibly poor decisions to not be *able* to help...
Original post by NonniT
Maintenance Loan: £5,555
Maintenance Grant: £3,354 (As SSG, so doesn't affect max loan)
Bursaries: £1000
Scholarships: £0-1000, unsure
Money from Parents: Available as required, but nothing regular.

Accommodation Cost: £0
Weekly spend after Accommodation:~£220

From the perspective of a mature student at least, not great, but shouldn't be bad :smile: Reading this thread makes me a bit angry at the system though, too many people being left without support as their parents earn too much. Said parents should also feel incredibly guilty for not investing more money into their kids, if they earn enough to force their kids out of the grants brackets then they must have made some incredibly poor decisions to not be *able* to help...

Or perhaps they have other, possibly more important, financial responsibilities. Moral question here for you: Suppose you were one of those parents, your child could just about make it through university independently or with a very small amount of help, but still no where near as good as the majority (not being able to go out, incredibly cheap food etc), and one of your parents[-in-law] requires constant expensive private medical cover for whatever reason, or needs to stay in a home. You can only afford one, which one takes priority? And you can't reasonably make big enough cuts elsewhere to do both.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 486
My loan hasn't even been fking approved yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maintenance Student Loan: £4750
Maintenance Grant: N/A
Bursaries: £ 0
Scholarships: £ 0
Savings: £700 (going to just keep it though)
Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £ 0
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £118.50

To be honest, I didn't mind taking out the loan, since I don't have to pay tuition fees (I am Scottish) and I'm living at home, but I doubt I'll be spending that much. Just there if I need it. (And if I don't, then I can give it right back when I'm earning.) Travel and some supplies will be my main expense, but I have a part time job to cover most of that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 488
Maintenance Loan: £0
Maintenance Grant: £0
Scholarships: £13,863

Accommodation Cost: £285 per month
Weekly spend after Accommodation: probably about £190 after my phone bills and utility bills etc.

I'm doing a postgrad and won't be taking loans or paying tuition fees, just living off scholarship money.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by WorldPharmacist

I found it to be a bit ridiculous as well seeing as I'm not studying in London.... but I think its down to my mother being self-employed and recently having a baby (3rd child)
Reply 490
Original post by LSD
Maintenance Loan: £0
Maintenance Grant: £0
Scholarships: £13,863

Accommodation Cost: £285 per month
Weekly spend after Accommodation: probably about £190 after my phone bills and utility bills etc.

I'm doing a postgrad and won't be taking loans or paying tuition fees, just living off scholarship money.

Where'd you get a scholarship like that?
How do you find out how much you're getting? My financ3 application still says "submitted" it then says you have provided all evidence needed, so has your mother. Now we will contact you via a letter when your application is successful. Guessing I have to wait for the letter right?
😀 Thanks

Nicholas

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maintenance loan: £2725
Maintenance Grant: £3387
Bursary:£0
Scholarship: £0
Parents money: £0
Accommodation: £0 Mum won't accept money but I'm moving out next year.

Money left after: depends on how much I want to save, but its all the money up there. Turns out they like to take a chunk of your loan away once they pay you more grant.
Maintenance loan: £3862
Maintenance grant: £3387
Bursary: £0
Scholarship: £0
Savings: £100? (Spent it woops)
Parents money: £500 a month.
Accommodation: £5768.49

Money left over: £140 a week...ish?
Ok my loan just increased from £3099 to £3759. Is this for real. :colone: Yay more money. Still gutted I'm not receiving any grant though, although I was eligible for it.
Original post by walkers38
Ok my loan just increased from £3099 to £3759. Is this for real. :colone: Yay more money. Still gutted I'm not receiving any grant though, although I was eligible for it.

How comes it increased?:smile:
Reply 496
Original post by David B
Where'd you get a scholarship like that?

Research councils x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maintenance Loan and Grant: £7249
Scholarships: £3000
Money from Parents: will help if moneys needed

Accommodation Cost: £4692
Weekly spend after Accommodation: £112 will probably only spend about 70 a week

also planning on getting a job at uni
Loan: £7249
Bursaries: £4000 off accomodation