The Student Room Group

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 3420
Original post by Teddysmith123
I think thats interesting actually. I love reading all these theories I heard another one about her being a version of clara! I have to say that after watching the episode on iplayer just now I am starting to really dislike this episode. I think capaldi was great just the episode lacked something to make him the doctor. It was the speech all new doctors have stood in front of the enermy and given a speech and his was to clara which was disappointing. The lackluster in that was only then salvaged with matt and the phone call. I think capaldi is great just moffat needs to start improving his writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its definitely interesting seeing the possibilities, as there are so many and so varied!

I really liked it personally, I may be slightly biased because I saw in the cinema (the doctor who world tour at BFI southbank) and then saw it again tonight, even a second time viewing... I enjoyed it a lot. Right amount of humour, intimidating enemies and serious stuff as well. I agree moffats writing is a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey though
Original post by alpen
Its definitely interesting seeing the possibilities, as there are so many and so varied!

I really liked it personally, I may be slightly biased because I saw in the cinema (the doctor who world tour at BFI southbank) and then saw it again tonight, even a second time viewing... I enjoyed it a lot. Right amount of humour, intimidating enemies and serious stuff as well. I agree moffats writing is a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey though

Yh he really needs to improve but I hope this season is good because I do lobe doctor who as a show! And yh maybe watching it on iplayer before I sleep makes me slightly biased too but capaldi wasn't bad

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hated it and looks like I'm the only one

Posted from TSR Mobile
I love, love, love Capaldi's Doctor...I hated everything else. It's like the show should be shifted to Cbeebies.
That was really bad:indiff: I did hope that the writers would give Capaldi a better first episode, but despite what he had to work with, he still gave a brilliant performance.

They need to get rid of Vastra, or at the very least change her persona, the overly-knowledgeable-holmes-like-agent is becoming a bore and makes no sense to keep in the show, as it only overshadows the Doctor's role. Instead we have to make do with a dwelling Doctor that doesn't quite function well, and a minor character explaining much of the story.

There's a reason why Tennant and Smith (series 5, not series 7:nooo:) worked so well, as their stories relied much more on their own interpretation/explanation.

:moon: then again it has only been one episode ..written by Moffat, I just hope it improves so we can admire what Doctor Who should be like.

Original post by Teddysmith123
I liked the episode but I think it may have been trying too hard to be funny - especially with strax! Aside from that, I liked Capaldi's doctor and loved matt at the end; I was in tears seeing him again! Overall it was a nice episode but it didn't have that umph that matt or Davids first episode had in my opinion, both of them had a nice speech whilst I found his quite dull. Yet, I'm looking forward to the season and interested in Missy, she can't be River or she would have called him her husband not boyfriend, but I like the theory of her being the master...

I believe that is the idea/surprise, they did have an interest in reintroducing the Master in this series.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
I love, love, love Capaldi's Doctor...I hated everything else. It's like the show should be shifted to Cbeebies.

Every episode: a depressed doctor who tells you how old he is, followed by an empty ambiguous threat.
Really like Capaldi as an actor (he is perfect as the Cardinal in the new Musketeers series) but still not sold on him as Dr Who. Also a bit miffed that Moffat chose to partner Clara (in my opinion by far the best companion that any of the new Doctors have had) with a Doctor with whom there is absolutely 0% chance of any romance occuring. They have admittedly overdone romance with the last few companions but the whole dynamic between her and Smith was actually pretty cool and had the potential to develop really well and then...boom.

Tennant is still by far the best doctor in my opinion, but Capaldi is an amazing actor so maybe it will get better. He needs more serious storylines to work with though - really don't think that the plot for this episode came close to matching the opener for the 10th or 11th Doctors.
I think the woman at the end may be Clara, for the whole episode there's been the "I am not your boyfriend, Clara" thing, so either it's obviously her, or it's just (more likely) Moffat trying to make us think that.

Capaldi was great, but for a non native english speaker, the Scottish accent is sometimes quite obscure. Not quite as Tennant in Broadchurch (!) but still.
Original post by Josh93
Really like Capaldi as an actor (he is perfect as the Cardinal in the new Musketeers series) but still not sold on him as Dr Who. Also a bit miffed that Moffat chose to partner Clara (in my opinion by far the best companion that any of the new Doctors have had) with a Doctor with whom there is absolutely 0% chance of any romance occuring. They have admittedly overdone romance with the last few companions but the whole dynamic between her and Smith was actually pretty cool and had the potential to develop really well and then...boom.

Tennant is still by far the best doctor in my opinion, but Capaldi is an amazing actor so maybe it will get better. He needs more serious storylines to work with though - really don't think that the plot for this episode came close to matching the opener for the 10th or 11th Doctors.

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'm GLAD there won't be any romance. It's about time! Romance between the Doctor and anyone else just kills the show for me.
I thought Capaldi said he was trying to take the show in a 'darker' direction? Last night's episode seemed a bit sillier than I'd hoped, it seems that after the first or second series they've been targeting the show at a younger and younger audience, instead of trying to stick to their fan-base (who are getting older, obviously). The first 'new' series with Eccleston was the only one I've properly enjoyed (Smith and Tenant may have been better actors, but the doctor's character and the episode plots seemed a bit less childish back then).

Also, really hoping they get rid of Vastra, Jenny and Strax. Really annoys me whenever they turn up in an episode.
Bring it back to 'monster of the week'. No complicated story arcs - it was less complicated and actually more engaging when the only connection between stories is 'Bad Wolf' sprayed on a wall or a Vote Saxon poster lying around.

Get rid of other characters - it should be The Doctor and his companion - not The Doctor and his companion, and his detective Silurian friend and her maid-wife and their semi-retarded Sontaran bodyguard/third wheel.

Stop trying to be funny. What the RTD era did well is make the characters engaging and funny through their personas, rather than cheap gags. Seeing Ten rushing around with his 'allons-y!' is fun and engaging - seeing Strax make another unnecessary tribute to the Glory of Sontar or mistaking Clara's gender repeatedly is just getting old. The stupid slapstick needs to stop now.

Stop trying to please five year olds. Kill the spares and let's make Doctor Who dark. It's about time we had a change.
that.was.AWESOME.

:biggrin:

Capaldi is fab, really plays the role well

Spoiler

Also, please no more doctor riding on horses in front of CGI backgrounds. It looked pretty awkward the first time (Girl in the fireplace) and didn't look any better last night.
This episode was a let-down. The show seemed to be hyped up as a reincarnation of the more serious, dark and "scary" series before the reboot with Eccleston, but this is just the usual drivel. The doctor again saving everyone by...well... not doing anything of particular significance.
At least it's better than singing and giving memories to make the monster go away, as has happened in one of Smith's episodes.
After thinking about it a bit more and reading others peoples comments I agree that the episode was a bit silly. The 'Paternoster Gang' (Strax, Vastra and Jenny) have completely overstayed their welcome to me- and seriously Moffat, we get it, they're lesbians!

I hope we don't see any more of them this season (or at all really) because I'm getting tired of the Victorian setting and I don't think Capaldi's doctor is a such a good fit for those 3. If Moffat really wants to keep them, he should make a spinoff show- it could replace Sarah Jane Adventures- or put mini episodes online, just as long as he keeps them out of the show.

I also don't think the monsters of this episode were particularly effective. Though I appreciated the references to Madame de Pompadour, it meant the droids weren't very original, there wasn't much motivation for their actions and less story than in the Girl in the Fireplace.
Original post by VinnicombeDmv
I'm really unsure how I feel about him at the moment, but at the same time I think it would be unfair to cast judgement upon him based on purely one episode. I guess I shall make my mind up as the season progresses.

True you can't base opinions on 1 episode but first impressions it was a very good episode
Someone has said this before and I totally agree! Missy is the Master!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by getfunky!
That was really bad:indiff: I did hope that the writers would give Capaldi a better first episode, but despite what he had to work with, he still gave a brilliant performance.

They need to get rid of Vastra, or at the very least change her persona, the overly-knowledgeable-holmes-like-agent is becoming a bore and makes no sense to keep in the show, as it only overshadows the Doctor's role. Instead we have to make do with a dwelling Doctor that doesn't quite function well, and a minor character explaining much of the story.

There's a reason why Tennant and Smith (series 5, not series 7:nooo:) worked so well, as their stories relied much more on their own interpretation/explanation.

:moon: then again it has only been one episode ..written by Moffat, I just hope it improves so we can admire what Doctor Who should be like

I think Moffat episodes are usually spectacular - I always greatly enjoyed those he wrote for Eccleston, Tennant and Smith. And I actually enjoyed the later series of Doctor Who when he was head writer - S8E1 was just an abomination. Far too many attempts at cheap laughs; childish sound effects followed by rag-dolling actors; Strax went from "mild comedy relief" to "retarded sidekick where all he's good for is to laugh at"; even the camerawork had changed drastically and seemed more fit for an episode of the Chucklebrothers rather than a family sci-fi drama at some points.

Clara was written from an actually interesting, intelligent, confident character into a petty little girl for 90% of the episode. Madame Vastra went from "I've lived for centuries of history, so am understandably quite intelligent about extraterrestrial affairs, and am also quite empathetic" into "I'm a know-it-all bitch and I'm proud of it". Even their acting direction seems to have changed.

I think the "dwelling Doctor" was meant to be entirely on purpose to play up to the old trope of how "difficult" regeneration is, and it takes the Doctor a while to sort of "wake up" from it and accept himself. I don't expect we'll be getting much more of this in later episodes.

I really didn't like the episode at all - really seemed more like a kids' show at times as opposed to a family drama. Hope to see a turn around from this; hope it was just this one episode!

Edit: I disagree that Madame Vastra, Jenny and Straxx need to go - I usually greatly enjoy the characters, and especially enjoy the featuring of a homosexual relationship on primetime telly, but I think they were just extremely poorly written this episode.
(edited 9 years ago)
I loooooved the episode :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Deep Breath was awesome. Peter Capaldi is a brilliant Doctor, the series arc looks amazing and I'm sure this will be the best series yet if it continues to be this good. My current favourite is series 5 but I'm sure 8 can live up to it.

Quick Reply

Latest