The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Autistic Merit

Behaviour, behaviour, behaviour. Schools need to be encouraged to have rigid exclusion policies. Bringing in a knife should always be an exclusion. Swearing at a teacher should always be an exclusion (none of this nonsense about the student misbehaving because the lesson wasn't engaging enough; I found Spanish boring but I never told my teacher to go **** himself). Physical bullying should always be an exclusion. Damage to school property should always be an exclusion. Persistent refusal to attend after school detentions should always be an exclusion. You get the idea...

Exclusion for everything. I have to admit I was one of the disruptive pupils, and because of that I got put in boarding school :colondollar: Now I'm a pretty decent human being considering current attitude, grades and behaviour :cool:
Anything that wouldn't be worth exclusion? :P
Did you invent a timemachine, Sir?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not to make any excuses for that teacher but I do need to say that teaching is probably one of the most emotionally draining jobs out there. Whilst a lot of teachers seem horrid, and I'm sure some genuinely are horrid, a lot of them are just stressed out beings. I know I'm a lot more irritable and volatile when the pressure piles on too much and I'm sure the kids just think something like "he's in a mood today" or something like that.

It's not right to take it out on the children, I know, but you have to remember that the kids can do a lot worse and get away with it:

A classic example always being

Student tells teacher to piss off - After school detention
Teacher tells student to piss off - Sacked and perma banned from teaching

I completely understand that being a teacher is tough, I couldn't deal with it! I respect teachers very much. They are the stepping stones to our future. I have a lot of respect for them and completely understand the pressure teachers are under above that you deal with students who refuse to learn, forgetting they are in school for a reason and there are people that would die for an education.

I completely understand but my teacher was without a doubt horrid. She was fairly new to teaching I believe and her teaching was great! I actually remember referring to her as a 'god send' at one point because she was amazing in comparison to our other history teacher who left.

Maybe pressure did get to her closer to the exams or she just genuinely hated me but I would stay back after school doing mocks which she would then mark. She seemed fine with it. Then I spoke to her about what she would predict me for my History GCSE she very clearly told me she thought I was no better then a 'C' (Excusing the fact I had gotten B's in my mocks).

She then got the head of history(only other history teacher in our schools history department) to help her on her quest of ruining every bit of confidence I had 2 weeks before the exam. The h of h told me long story short that "I was wasting Mrs X time, I wasn't even close to getting a B(EXCUSING THE FACT I HAD ALREADY GOTTEN B's IN MY MOCKS) and that I was putting her professional career on the line" she also then called my parents telling them that I was 'harassing' Mrs X by constantly asking her to mark my work. She also told me to "stop working so hard because I was going to burn myself out". Very obviously they don't have a clue what it is like to want something!

I ended up with 2B'S and an A in my exams so she can shove that where the sun doesn't shine..as immature as that may sound.

sorry that turned into a life story...but yes my teacher was genuinely horrid. I don't know how that kind of behaviour can be excused!
Original post by rosebud114
I completely understand that being a teacher is tough, I couldn't deal with it! I respect teachers very much. They are the stepping stones to our future. I have a lot of respect for them and completely understand the pressure teachers are under above that you deal with students who refuse to learn, forgetting they are in school for a reason and there are people that would die for an education.

I completely understand but my teacher was without a doubt horrid. She was fairly new to teaching I believe and her teaching was great! I actually remember referring to her as a 'god send' at one point because she was amazing in comparison to our other history teacher who left.

Maybe pressure did get to her closer to the exams or she just genuinely hated me but I would stay back after school doing mocks which she would then mark. She seemed fine with it. Then I spoke to her about what she would predict me for my History GCSE she very clearly told me she thought I was no better then a 'C' (Excusing the fact I had gotten B's in my mocks).

She then got the head of history(only other history teacher in our schools history department) to help her on her quest of ruining every bit of confidence I had 2 weeks before the exam. The h of h told me long story short that "I was wasting Mrs X time, I wasn't even close to getting a B(EXCUSING THE FACT I HAD ALREADY GOTTEN B's IN MY MOCKS) and that I was putting her professional career on the line" she also then called my parents telling them that I was 'harassing' Mrs X by constantly asking her to mark my work. She also told me to "stop working so hard because I was going to burn myself out". Very obviously they don't have a clue what it is like to want something!

I ended up with 2B'S and an A in my exams so she can shove that where the sun doesn't shine..as immature as that may sound.

sorry that turned into a life story...but yes my teacher was genuinely horrid. I don't know how that kind of behaviour can be excused!

My history teacher told me that my future belongs to McDonalds and benefits! Guess history teachers arent that nice :frown:
It's very rare for someone to get A* at the school I teach in! Not sure how much help I could be.

I meant I try my best to do this in response to you saying I need to treat students equally.

I wish! Students can always just walk out these days with no consequence. Detentions etc. are pointless because students never bother to attend unless they're the teacher's pet type.

:eek: Is that really what teachers think?! :lol:

Do you give out more detentions towards the Yr7-9s?

Oh and since your a maths teacher... Would you find it annoying if a student asked you for help at a maths qs in your lunch time/break?
Well then, where were you on my time table? :hand: but in all seriousness that is really refreshing to hear! It can be extremely emotionally draining being told your not good enough for anyone, let alone a student.

Well.. For me it will be a good motivation :3
How do you deal with a student that understands everything perfectly, gets top grades in exams, but refuses to do their homework?

I personally found doing repetitive maths questions a waste of time...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pro_crastinator
Exclusion for everything. I have to admit I was one of the disruptive pupils, and because of that I got put in boarding school :colondollar: Now I'm a pretty decent human being considering current attitude, grades and behaviour :cool:
Anything that wouldn't be worth exclusion? :P

Stuff that is actually low level disruption rather than high level; talking over the teacher, lateness, not doing homework, chewing gum, mobile phone usage etc.

But I think it is a sad day when a student throws a chair at a teacher and all he has to do is write a 'letter of apology'. Yep, he's really going to learn his lesson. :rolleyes:
Original post by cforcoldplay
Haha this made me laugh but you'd be surprised. I have 3 friends that very very similar period cycles to me its really weird :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you all leave lessons at the same time as each other to go to the toilet?

Original post by C0balt
Did you invent a timemachine, Sir?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that's part of my AS level course now. :smile:

You should report her really. It's unprofessional behaviour at least.
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
:eek: Is that really what teachers think?! :lol:

Do you give out more detentions towards the Yr7-9s?

Oh and since your a maths teacher... Would you find it annoying if a student asked you for help at a maths qs in your lunch time/break?

1. I give out detentions fairly equally across the year groups but it's true that the Year 9s and above have worked out that nothing really happens to you if you don't turn up to them; the worst thing they get is a phone call home from me. Some parents even take up their child's side when I ring them. "She's an angel at home, it's obviously something to do with you..." etc. Obviously then they have little incentive to improve their behaviour as there is no consequence for misbehaving except failure of their exams, which they won't always be too worried about until the latter half of Year 11, when the majority of students have a change of heart.

2. I encourage students to ask me for help outside lessons. I praise them a lot when they do this as it's showing a responsible attitude.

Original post by RainbowVeins
How do you deal with a student that understands everything perfectly, gets top grades in exams, but refuses to do their homework?

I personally found doing repetitive maths questions a waste of time...

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would then get more challenging homework to do. One student in Year 11 was so bored (he was obviously going to get an A*), so he ended up being given some AS level maths to read up on instead of doing the homework. I could tell he was doing the work too as he kept coming up to me after lessons and asking me questions about it, some of which I struggled to answer!

If the student refused to do the homework then I would treat them in the same way as any other student who refused to do their homework; they would do it in detention (assuming they turn up!).
Reply 431
How many years into teaching are you?

Have you ever bumped into one of your students on TSR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They would then get more challenging homework to do. One student in Year 11 was so bored (he was obviously going to get an A*), so he ended up being given some AS level maths to read up on instead of doing the homework. I could tell he was doing the work too as he kept coming up to me after lessons and asking me questions about it, some of which I struggled to answer!

If the student refused to do the homework then I would treat them in the same way as any other student who refused to do their homework; they would do it in detention (assuming they turn up!).

What's your opinion on comprehensive and selective education then? Would this not create a bigger gap between students?
Don't take me too seriously, I'm just curious:colondollar:
Original post by 2710
How many years into teaching are you?

Have you ever bumped into one of your students on TSR?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. 2 years

2. No thankfully not. :smile:

Original post by RainbowVeins
What's your opinion on comprehensive and selective education then? Would this not create a bigger gap between students?
Don't take me too seriously, I'm just curious:colondollar:

It does create a massive gap between students, I agree. There are many good comprehensive schools though. The gap between some comprehensives is way bigger than the gap between your average comprehensive and your average selective. The choice of which school you send your kids to is seriously important and cannot be overstated.

We did once in yr 11 during an English lesson but that was for a laugh :colondollar: we're not like that anymore though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by cforcoldplay

We did once in yr 11 during an English lesson but that was for a laugh :colondollar: we're not like that anymore though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your poor teacher. :cry:

It does create a massive gap between students, I agree. There are many good comprehensive schools though. The gap between some comprehensives is way bigger than the gap between your average comprehensive and your average selective. The choice of which school you send your kids to is seriously important and cannot be overstated.

That is very true. My parents didn't care that much about it though :tongue: but now they start to care about my uni choices...ahh well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 437
1. 2 years

2. No thankfully not. :smile:

Is that including or excluding your PGCE and NQT years?
What do you think of the teach first scheme- do you know any other teachers who have gone down that route? I'm wanting to go into teaching after I'm finished up with my degree, but unsure whether to go PGCE or this new teach first programme? (wanting to teach secondary school level and everything thinks i'm crazy haha!)
Original post by 2710
Is that including or excluding your PGCE and NQT years?

Including both of them, yes.

Original post by green-turtle
What do you think of the teach first scheme- do you know any other teachers who have gone down that route? I'm wanting to go into teaching after I'm finished up with my degree, but unsure whether to go PGCE or this new teach first programme? (wanting to teach secondary school level and everything thinks i'm crazy haha!)

I don't know anyone who has done that scheme. I've heard that Teach First is better for if you're not looking to stay in teaching. You teach at tougher schools whereas some PGCEs like mine only send you to nice-ish schools.

Latest