The Student Room Group

Nottingham A100 2015 Entry

Scroll to see replies

I got 6 A*s and 2 As in olevels ... already got an A in biology Alevel and will do chemistry and Arabic a level next year
I got 660 in ukcat which is not that good but I really like notts and the way the course is laid out.

take a look at this http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20140814.pdf

before commenting on the ukcat score .... it was just released today and it seems the ukcat scores were really inflated last year

is it worth applying to nottingham with this ukcat ?

PS I am an international student
How does 5A* 2As3bs
(670, 890, 730, 780) avg 767.5 band 2 match up?

Comprehensive academy as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 22
Original post by Sycopation
How does 5A* 2As3bs
(670, 890, 730, 780) avg 767.5 band 2 match up?

Comprehensive academy as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunately they ask for 8 A* or A grades for GCSE - so you've missed that :frown: Your other option would be the foundation course which has lower boundaries? It's a shame because your UKCAT is exemplary!
Original post by alex193
Unfortunately they ask for 8 A* or A grades for GCSE - so you've missed that :frown: Your other option would be the foundation course which has lower boundaries? It's a shame because your UKCAT is exemplary!

Pretty sure they need 6As?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
Pretty sure they need 6As?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do beg your pardon, you're totally right. They consider your 8 highest. Your UKCAT is excellent which would more than compensate for the B now that it's 70%! :tongue:
Original post by alex193
I do beg your pardon, you're totally right. They consider your 8 highest. Your UKCAT is excellent which would more than compensate for the B now that it's 70%! :tongue:
You should go to jail - you almost gave me a heart attack :tongue:
Original post by abdelrahman777
I got 6 A*s and 2 As in olevels ... already got an A in biology Alevel and will do chemistry and Arabic a level next year
I got 660 in ukcat which is not that good but I really like notts and the way the course is laid out.

take a look at this http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Preliminary%20Mean%20Scores%20140814.pdf

before commenting on the ukcat score .... it was just released today and it seems the ukcat scores were really inflated last year

is it worth applying to nottingham with this ukcat ?

PS I am an international student

any help guys is applying worth it... I just found out today that nottingham is one of very few universities that will allow me to get in before turning 18 .... just what I needed one more reason I need to get in nottingham.
Reply 27
You should go to jail - you almost gave me a heart attack :tongue:

Sorry brah :wink:

Original post by abdelrahman777
any help guys is applying worth it... I just found out today that nottingham is one of very few universities that will allow me to get in before turning 18 .... just what I needed one more reason I need to get in nottingham.

Providing you have parental permission I thought most unis (especially the ones with less early clinical contact) let 17 year olds in providing you turned 18 sometime during first year? If not, would applying and deferring entry be an option for you? FWIW one of my coursemates was 17 until November of first year, didn't bother her except she had a rather quiet freshers week haha :tongue: I'm just a little worried about you having to limit your options so much - 660 is a decent UKCAT score but if Nottingham are being as picky about it as it sounds, then it could be borderline, and it would be a shame to put all the eggs in one basket so to speak!
Reply 28
Is a ukcat average of 647.5 completely uncompetitive?
9A*s, 2A's at GCSE, AAAB at AS, haven't received predictions yet.

I love Nottingham, but I detested the UKCAT, and it shows in my score :/

Thanks.
Reply 29
for the selection process stage 1, do A*s and As get the same score or are A*s scored better?
Reply 30
Original post by Ava-

Thanks.

It's the lower end of what we had coming through last year. Your GCSEs and AS are perfect, right where they need to be, so that will help, but it'd have to be your risky application I think.

Original post by tans
for the selection process stage 1, do A*s and As get the same score or are A*s scored better?

Top 8 grades are scored, has to be minimum 6 A or A* grades, other than that A* > A > B :smile:
Original post by Ava-

Thanks.

you should definitely apply to Birmingham and other GCSEs heavy unis
Reply 32
Hi, I liked the 5 year fairly traditional course at Nottingham plus I think dissection is a great way to learn anatomy! I'm a re-applicant who has achieved 11A*s, and 3A*s and an A at A level (5 As at As level). I also have sat the UKCAT and got 720 average (VR:650 QR:830 AR:650 DA:750) Band 1 SJT. I understand that is may be a risk with the emphasis on the ukcat this year, moreover I don't know how competitive my score is. I have good work experience also having done the Nuffield project in pathology. Do you think it's worth applying?
Reply 33
Original post by kpkumar1
Hi, I liked the 5 year fairly traditional course at Nottingham plus I think dissection is a great way to learn anatomy! I'm a re-applicant who has achieved 11A*s, and 3A*s and an A at A level (5 As at As level). I also have sat the UKCAT and got 720 average (VR:650 QR:830 AR:650 DA:750) Band 1 SJT. I understand that is may be a risk with the emphasis on the ukcat this year, moreover I don't know how competitive my score is. I have good work experience also having done the Nuffield project in pathology. Do you think it's worth applying?

Looks good to me :smile: Grades are spot on, UKCAT is high and it sounds like you've got stuff to talk about!

Original post by Bashur
Hi,

What would you guys consider to be a safe score in the ukcat? I received AAAB at AS (hoping to remark the B) and got 12A*s at GCSE. So what range am I looking at for ukcat to be safe in my application? Doing it on Monday :smile:

It's all a bit up in the air at the moment. There's rumours of a shift in the difficulty of the UKCAT compared to last year, and so scores might not be totally comparable. High SJT band is "preferable", and as for the scores higher will be better naturally. Last year the lowest I saw getting an interview was in the 650's. 700+ would probably be comparatively safe territory? Puts you in the top 1/3 of the bell curve at any rate :smile: Good luck!
Reply 34
Hey,
I really love Notts for medicine, do you think it's worth me applying? I got 4a*'s 4a's and 4b's at GCSE AAAC at as (I'm hoping to get the c remarked to a b) and a ukcat adverage of 705.
Reply 35
Original post by Amyh9
Hey,
I really love Notts for medicine, do you think it's worth me applying? I got 4a*'s 4a's and 4b's at GCSE AAAC at as (I'm hoping to get the c remarked to a b) and a ukcat adverage of 705.

Yes. You could also look at Hull-York and Plymouth. Best of luck :smile:
Reply 36
Hey guys. I'm starting 1st year this September so if you have any questions about the selection process, interview etc feel free to ask! Just bear in mind I have NOT done Alevels (EB here) so don't ask me if your grades are good enough :tongue:
Reply 37
Original post by Nottie
Hey guys. I'm starting 1st year this September so if you have any questions about the selection process, interview etc feel free to ask! Just bear in mind I have NOT done Alevels (EB here) so don't ask me if your grades are good enough :tongue:

Yay, well done! I'll link you in on the first post, good to have someone with more recent experience of the applications :smile: Since UKCAT seems to be the question of the year, would you be happy sharing yours? :smile:
Reply 38
Original post by alex193
Yay, well done! I'll link you in on the first post, good to have someone with more recent experience of the applications :smile: Since UKCAT seems to be the question of the year, would you be happy sharing yours? :smile:

Thanks and hopefully I will meet you one day hah. Maybe at Ocean (whatever it is lol) :smile:
And as to my ukcat I got 707.5 average band 3. I will post the scores for each part later since I don't remember them and I don't want to confuse some1. What I can say there were all upon the average
Reply 39
Original post by Nottie
Thanks and hopefully I will meet you one day hah. Maybe at Ocean (whatever it is lol) :smile:
And as to my ukcat I got 707.5 average band 3. I will post the scores for each part later since I don't remember them and I don't want to confuse some1. What I can say there were all upon the average

Great, thank you! You'll see me manning the SCRUBS and Wilderness Medicine Society stands at the medics freshers fair, and I'll be doing the photography during the medics cocktail party in Ocean (protip, start thinking of a costume now - the standards are high :biggrin: ) That and generally running around the place and lurking in the dissecting room :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending