The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by green-turtle
What do you think of the teach first scheme- do you know any other teachers who have gone down that route? I'm wanting to go into teaching after I'm finished up with my degree, but unsure whether to go PGCE or this new teach first programme? (wanting to teach secondary school level and everything thinks i'm crazy haha!)

I imagine which route is best, is determined by the individual. The PGCE route allows you to become better acquainted with the principles that underpin teaching. However some are just natural born teachers and could learn that through the Teach First Scheme.

Teaching is a wonderful and rewarding profession and something to be seriously considered. Whereas there is no magic formula to success, being on top of your subject AND knowing how to deliver it often keeps the class on your side. Now that is a skill that some are just born with and some need to learn. And if you are not born with such a skill, it will time to acquire. Whatever you are will answer your question. The teacher that can engage the class with their lesson is halfway there. There will still be lots of challenges remaining - including discipline and class control - but the teacher who can achieve that is on their way to success.
I just don't think I'd have lasted on Teach First. I took a long time to get to even a decent level for behaviour management and I taught in really good comprehensives. On that BBC programme, they didn't seem too supportive of Meryl although she did finish the year really well so perhaps she did get support.
Original post by Autistic Merit
X

Has a student ever tried to blame you for failing to reach their target grade on an exam?
Original post by Binary Freak
Has a student ever tried to blame you for failing to reach their target grade on an exam?

No they often admit that they just didn't revise or didn't try hard enough. I've never had anyone blame me to my face.
No they often admit that they just didn't revise or didn't try hard enough. I've never had anyone blame me to my face.

Second one :colone:

What topic do your students tend to struggle with the most on both GCSE and AS/A2.
Original post by Binary Freak
Second one :colone:

What topic do your students tend to struggle with the most on both GCSE and AS/A2.

GCSE - The stats topics. In particular cumulative frequency and the inter quartile range! Almost nobody seems to get those all correct. Also they struggle with questions that ask you to give reasons, particularly the angles questions.

AS - Core 1 tends to be the module that takes a lot of them by surprise. I would say the whole of that module is a weakness. Once they get through that they tend to do fine at Stats 1 and Core 2.
1. I give out detentions fairly equally across the year groups but it's true that the Year 9s and above have worked out that nothing really happens to you if you don't turn up to them; the worst thing they get is a phone call home from me. Some parents even take up their child's side when I ring them. "She's an angel at home, it's obviously something to do with you..." etc. Obviously then they have little incentive to improve their behaviour as there is no consequence for misbehaving except failure of their exams, which they won't always be too worried about until the latter half of Year 11, when the majority of students have a change of heart.

2. I encourage students to ask me for help outside lessons. I praise them a lot when they do this as it's showing a responsible attitude.

Wow.. I'm surprised many of them don't turn up to your detentions. With maths and this is in Year 8-10 as I can remember.. Erm there was at least one lesson in the week where the maths lesson was just before break or lunch. So hahah there was no choice of turning up to the detentions as the teachers just kept you in. But I've realised since I've been in Yr 10 is that teachers don't hand out many detentions as much as they did in Yr 7-9.

Oh, well I usually just ask for help if the period after is break/lunch. But I feel as if I probably get on the teachers nerve :/

Ooh, and how much do you loathe messy books?
And are you a stickler for underling date and title?
GCSE - The stats topics. In particular cumulative frequency and the inter quartile range! Almost nobody seems to get those all correct. Also they struggle with questions that ask you to give reasons, particularly the angles questions.

AS - Core 1 tends to be the module that takes a lot of them by surprise. I would say the whole of that module is a weakness. Once they get through that they tend to do fine at Stats 1 and Core 2.

I love cumulative frequency questions they're amazing :awesome:

Ugh on the other hand histograms :frown:
Original post by Carrot_Cake_13
Wow.. I'm surprised many of them don't turn up to your detentions. With maths and this is in Year 8-10 as I can remember.. Erm there was at least one lesson in the week where the maths lesson was just before break or lunch. So hahah there was no choice of turning up to the detentions as the teachers just kept you in. But I've realised since I've been in Yr 10 is that teachers don't hand out many detentions as much as they did in Yr 7-9.

A lot of the more badly behaved students will just walk out of detentions, sometimes they try to give an excuse like they've got detention somewhere else or sometimes they just say "I've got somewhere better to be". Sometimes they say nothing at all. I'm afraid having a lesson just before lunch/break only makes it slightly easier to detain them.

Oh, well I usually just ask for help if the period after is break/lunch. But I feel as if I probably get on the teachers nerve :/

Not if they're a good teacher they won't mind. Break/lunch is always too short to do anything fun anyway.

Ooh, and how much do you loathe messy books?

I love it when the book is all neat and easy to read, makes my job so much easier plus it's just more aesthetically pleasing. I know some books (and it does tend to be boys I have to say) will always be messy though and there's little I can do to change that.

And are you a stickler for underling date and title?

I encourage it but I'm not that fussed.

Answers given.
Reply 449
Has anyone asked why our number system is in base 10?
Original post by godd
Has anyone asked why our number system is in base 10?

No. I remember learning about that at uni though.
Are you a good maths teacher?

Do you have a girlfriend, love interest, partner or combination of 2 or more of these?

Have you ever fancied any of your coworkers?
Original post by Scienceisgood
Are you a good maths teacher?

Do you have a girlfriend, love interest, partner or combination of 2 or more of these?

Have you ever fancied any of your coworkers?

1. I think I am but I have weaknesses.

2. I'm single. :frown:

3. Yes I have fancied other teachers before but they are not single. :cry:
1. I think I am but I have weaknesses.

2. I'm single. :frown:

3. Yes I have fancied other teachers before but they are not single. :cry:

Would you ever consider a relationship with an ex-student, say a 20 year year old ex-student of yours came up to you?
Reply 454
This is a first. :angry:

Has a student ever made a sexual move on you and r u male or female
Original post by Scienceisgood
Would you ever consider a relationship with an ex-student, say a 20 year year old ex-student of yours came up to you?

Probably not, even if I was attracted to them. It would just be awkward and I'd feel like we were being judged negatively by others. I don't have anything against the idea personally but I just care too much about what others think I guess.
Original post by tabhaa
Has a student ever made a sexual move on you and r u male or female

I am male. No this has not happened. Girls hitting on guys? :confused:

Why do you ask this?
Reply 457
I am male. No this has not happened. Girls hitting on guys? :confused:

Why do you ask this?

Just lol
Original post by tabhaa
Just lol

Any other questions?
what advice would you give someone who got b's and c's for AS but wants to apply for dentistry?

Latest