The Student Room Group

Economics applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NinjaPandaa
Yeah they're all fairly similar the rankings tbh

Where else are you applying? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i want to try applying to ucl. their entry requirements are A*AA (A* in maths)... i thought that you had to get 90%+ in c1 c2 and stats and get 90%+ in a2 to get overall A* so i don't think i'll be able to get that:confused::confused:... but other than that, i've looked at birmingham, surrey, york so far :smile:

what are you applying for?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by doublecc123
i want to try applying to ucl. their entry requirements are A*AA (A* in maths)... i thought that you had to get 90%+ in c1 c2 and stats and get 90%+ in a2 to get overall A* so i don't think i'll be able to get that:confused::confused:... but other than that, i've looked at birmingham, surrey, york so far :smile:

what are you applying for?

Ah cool and actually it's just an 80% average for your whole a level with 90% average in c3 and c4 so you still just need 480ums but 180 of those must come from c3 and c4 I'm pretty sure :smile:

Ah I'm just going for straight econ at cambridge warwick durham nottingham and leeds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah cool and actually it's just an 80% average for your whole a level with 90% average in c3 and c4 so you still just need 480ums but 180 of those must come from c3 and c4 I'm pretty sure :smile:

Ah I'm just going for straight econ at cambridge warwick durham nottingham and leeds :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

i just looked it up on the internet and you're right haha! in c1 and c2 i got an A but in stats i got a B. can i still get A*?
Original post by doublecc123
i just looked it up on the internet and you're right haha! in c1 and c2 i got an A but in stats i got a B. can i still get A*?

Yep pretty sure you can, because the average of 90ums in each of c3 and c4 would cancel the B in stats out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wakawakawaka
Hey, gonna jump in this thread if ydm. Hoping for some help on my options, it would definitely put my mind at ease haha. I Got 11A* 2 A's at GCSE, and AAAB (maths) at AS. I'm taking further maths to AS in my own time next year. Where would i stand in terms of having a chance at the top unis. Would the Big 5 be out of reach because of the B being in maths?

tbh yes
Fak. Will good predictions make up for it slightly maybe?? no?

Maybe, and also if there was a genuine reason why you only got a B, but you'd still have to put down the grade on UCAS. Not the end of the world, you can still apply to outside top 5 or alternatively you can get an A* in a2 and apply post a2.
Does panic count as a reason haha. I got 98% in C1 but the other two are awful, especially considering i worked consistently at 90% throughout the year, so i was hoping a reference would help saying it was anomalous or something? Sorry to labour over the point, but would really like to make sure there is little/no hope for an application to the top 5 this cycle so i can get my uni choices in order. I appreciate it.

This is just my opinion, but it seems very unlikely that a uni that wants A* maths to give you an offer. You might stand a chance at Warwick since they ask for an A, but even then it's tough since all these top 5 are massively oversubscribed, so they can filter and choose accordingly.
Does panic count as a reason haha. I got 98% in C1 but the other two are awful, especially considering i worked consistently at 90% throughout the year, so i was hoping a reference would help saying it was anomalous or something? Sorry to labour over the point, but would really like to make sure there is little/no hope for an application to the top 5 this cycle so i can get my uni choices in order. I appreciate it.

Tbh, I personally think you should apply to two ambitious ones, you won't really know till you try and you can choose a back up uni as one of your choices. Honestly, aim high and have a back up as well, you'll regret not trying because someone said your chances were slim!! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 168
Thanks for the encouragement :redface:

Are you applying for straight econ?
Hi, I am intending to apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham and Bath for Economics for 2015 entry. Last week, I achieved 4 high A’s in AS level Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography, and also an A in A2 Critical Thinking (I completed the AS in this during my GCSE’s).

For next year, I have definitely decided to study for A2 Maths, Physics and Economics; also I want to study for two of the three out of A2 Geography, AS Further Maths and an economics-related EPQ. Which two of the three would give me the best chance of getting an offer at these uni's?
Reply 170
Yup, L100. Wbu?

Maths and econ. I'd say you still have a shot just make sure you have a strong PS and apply strategically (you have strong GCSE's and some uni's place more emphasis on them:smile: Maybe also get you teacher to mention in your reference that you've been performing well in maths throughout the year.
Original post by MattEvans
Hi, I am intending to apply to Cambridge, Warwick, Durham and Bath for Economics for 2015 entry. Last week, I achieved 4 high A’s in AS level Maths, Economics, Physics and Geography, and also an A in A2 Critical Thinking (I completed the AS in this during my GCSE’s).

For next year, I have definitely decided to study for A2 Maths, Physics and Economics; also I want to study for two of the three out of A2 Geography, AS Further Maths and an economics-related EPQ. Which two of the three would give me the best chance of getting an offer at these uni's?

Take AS FM and EPQ. Lesser workload and looks better.
Original post by MattEvans

3 places the same as me! I'd say AS further maths and EPQ, especially for cambridge as you'll want to have something to talk about if you get an interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
How much work experience have people got?
How much work experience have people got?

Literally none but my friend who's also applying for econ has plenty including at a bank in Hong Kong :frown: :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Literally none but my friend who's also applying for econ has plenty including at a bank in Hong Kong :frown: :redface:

Same here. I only have the regular investment bank haha
i've got volunteering at a charity shop lmfao. eco-related work experience is very hard to find so as long as you've got plenty of extra reading to show your interest, i wouldn't worry too much.
I'm struggling for ideas for my personal statement. I haven't studied economics at AS Level (something I regret. Took History) and am not completely sure about all the topics and content of it. I have recently started reading up on lots of topics but have no work experience relating to economics.

Struggling for ideas to say what reading or research I have done or work experience. I can link all my subjects well though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Original post by Lewis7253
I'm struggling for ideas for my personal statement. I haven't studied economics at AS Level (something I regret. Took History) and am not completely sure about all the topics and content of it. I have recently started reading up on lots of topics but have no work experience relating to economics.

Struggling for ideas to say what reading or research I have done or work experience. I can link all my subjects well though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey does your school offer economics because you could maybe email/speak to an econ teacher and see if they'd lend you a textbook or give you any pointers on what to say :smile:

What wider reading have you done? Did you find any topics particularly interesting? You can mention things in quite a lot if detail
Also have you thought about doing an economics EPQ if you're school does that? That could be something good to talk about :redface:
Oh and if you're applying to any highly mathematical courses lse/ucl/cambridge etc it may be a good idea to mention something about maths to show that you know the courses are quite mathematical

Hope this helped! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey does your school offer economics because you could maybe email/speak to an econ teacher and see if they'd lend you a textbook or give you any pointers on what to say :smile:

What wider reading have you done? Did you find any topics particularly interesting? You can mention things in quite a lot if detail
Also have you thought about doing an economics EPQ if you're school does that? That could be something good to talk about :redface:
Oh and if you're applying to any highly mathematical courses lse/ucl/cambridge etc it may be a good idea to mention something about maths to show that you know the courses are quite mathematical

Hope this helped! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't really done as much background reading as I should have done and will start to do much more of. Our college does offer Economics which I wish I had done. Luckily my closest friends all do or have done Economics so I have been speaking to them about it.

I also did Maths early (did the AS in Year 10 & 11 and the A2 in Year 12) but I want to resit some of the units as I only got a B and want an A.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending