The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5420
Original post by AR_95
It's hilarious how many people try to analyse our squads deficiencies by saying "we need a ST and DM or we get relegated!"

No one wants to point out the fact that the reason we conceded the first goal yesterday was because Ozil didn't track his player in the set piece instead watched him run and as much as Callum Chambers looks promising, him and Merte also ****ed up pushing up so far and trying to slide tackle Lukaku in his own ****ing half?

Yet people will cry about Arteta and Giroud and I don't denie that they need addressing but the amount of delusion in this thread drives me mad. No signing will change the fact that Ramsey, Ox, Ozil and Wilshere were all poor yesterday (not gonna bring up Sanchez) or the amount of times Debuchy was caught out.

Bunch of bandwagon pricks really and this isn't just towards arsenal fans because there are loads of others commenting on Arsenal who have no idea what they're talking about let alone watch our matches.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like to think a lot of the problems stem from a World Cup hangover/inadequate pre season. For example, so much time was taken to go to New York when only one game was played. Ozil has been traditionally lazy, but just as a counter point, it was his first competitive game back with the team. Not saying you've said this, but a lot of people are moaning that he didn't breeze back in and set up three goals for Sanchez. This isn't FIFA, learning to play with new team mates is something that takes many games.

The Ox has his promising moments but he's still only 21 isn't he? A lot of pressure on him, especially as his pre-season was also cut short by injury. He shows in flashes what he's capable of. Ramsey can almost be excused as he does get the important goals when it matters, and last season he showed what he can do, things just aren't clicking for him but he will get through it. I have no defence for Jack however, his progress has stalled and I worry if he'll ever be physical enough for the league.

We will rely on Walcott heavily when he's fit, and him and Sanchez playing off Giroud is something I'm looking forward to. Giroud won't get 30 goals a season, he probably won't even reach 20, but if his game allows others to prosper, while getting a few himself, that will stand us in good stead.

But my god do we need an Arteta/Flamini replacement.

EDIT
Forgot to mention Ozil can be seen chasing back the whole length of the pitch to chase Lukaku for the second goal. I mean it's no consolation but it's good to see the guy trying. And Chambers getting caught out was insanity when Mert was already up there, but at 19 you have to hope that's something he will be learning as he goes along.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5421
For any hope of signing Khedira, I think Ancelotti has confirmed that he will be staying at Madrid.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your gif game is not strong :wink:
Original post by Arkasia
Your gif game is not strong :wink:

Fixed it. I'm on my iPad so this shizzle is hard.

Don't test me yeah
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/9308410.gif
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Fixed it. I'm on my iPad so this shizzle is hard.

Don't test me yeah
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/9308410.gif

Your gif game is semi-strong :tongue:
Reply 5426
Original post by Ilz300
I like to think a lot of the problems stem from a World Cup hangover/inadequate pre season. For example, so much time was taken to go to New York when only one game was played. Ozil has been traditionally lazy, but just as a counter point, it was his first competitive game back with the team. Not saying you've said this, but a lot of people are moaning that he didn't breeze back in and set up three goals for Sanchez. This isn't FIFA, learning to play with new team mates is something that takes many games.

The Ox has his promising moments but he's still only 21 isn't he? A lot of pressure on him, especially as his pre-season was also cut short by injury. He shows in flashes what he's capable of. Ramsey can almost be excused as he does get the important goals when it matters, and last season he showed what he can do, things just aren't clicking for him but he will get through it. I have no defence for Jack however, his progress has stalled and I worry if he'll ever be physical enough for the league.

We will rely on Walcott heavily when he's fit, and him and Sanchez playing off Giroud is something I'm looking forward to. Giroud won't get 30 goals a season, he probably won't even reach 20, but if his game allows others to prosper, while getting a few himself, that will stand us in good stead.

EDIT
Forgot to mention Ozil can be seen chasing back the whole length of the pitch to chase Lukaku for the second goal. I mean it's no consolation but it's good to see the guy trying. And Chambers getting caught out was insanity when Mert was already up there, but at 19 you have to hope that's something he will be learning as he goes along.

On my phone and will die soon so I'll respond to this later on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lúcio
really?
like really?
that is without doubt the best goal i have seen in all my years of watching football.

Lucio :rofl:

Original post by Arkasia
Your gif game is semi-strong :tongue:

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/5s.gif

Original post by manchesterunited15

How you coping?

solid brazillian CB, won world cup
i'll take that fagio
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy

How you coping?

Pretty good. Solid draw today, once we get our missing players back and Di Maria signed we'll be tearing up the league.

Spoiler

Original post by Lúcio
solid brazillian CB, won world cup
i'll take that fagio

lol ur more like Michael Keane m8
Pretty good. Solid draw today, once we get our missing players back and Di Maria signed we'll be tearing up the league.

Spoiler

lol @ bolded bit.
Original post by Lúcio
lol @ bolded bit.

Luke pls
Dzeko will rek you tomorrow
Lúcio pls
Dzeko will rek you tomorrow

i'm not too bothered losing to city at the etihad - after all they are the champions and they're at home.
i would certainly be bothered getting 1 point from two easy opening games.
Original post by Lúcio
i'm not too bothered losing to city at the etihad - after all they are the champions and they're at home.
i would certainly be bothered getting 1 point from two easy opening games.

When we had most of our team missing and our 5th and 6th choice CBs playing, I'm not overly bothered.
have to say, Debuchy was such a terrible signing. complete liability and not actually good offensively. depressing watching coleman y'day....

monreal is actually ok tho tbh

sick to the back teeth with Santi, despair when he plays

need to get theo back asap as well, big game player and just has that explosiveness
Reply 5437
Original post by Lúcio
lol @ bolded bit.

How can you be trolling Manchester United fans on an Arsenal thread?

You Scousers make me sick
Reply 5438
Original post by Ilz300

x

"I like to think a lot of the problems stem from a World Cup hangover/inadequate pre season. For example, so much time was taken to go to New York when only one game was played. Ozil has been traditionally lazy, but just as a counter point, it was his first competitive game back with the team. Not saying you've said this, but a lot of people are moaning that he didn't breeze back in and set up three goals for Sanchez. This isn't FIFA, learning to play with new team mates is something that takes many games."

Not an excuse. Arsenal aren't the only team with players who were playing in the world cup. Sure Ozil had been playing for the longest but a mere few days extra shouldn't cover up 5/6 weeks he's had off? It's also not the first time Ozil has been caught out for a lack of his defensive contribution. Ofcourse there is no reason to expect that we were going to see Sanchez + Ozil in full gear yesterday but that still doesn't take away from the fact that Monreal managed to give better delivery then Ozil did yesterday.

Yep he is 21 so can be some what excused but if you compare him to his performances from last season then yesterday was miles off. Iirc he's been available for most of the preseason. Ramsey I don't excuse at all really. I think it's unfair we value Ramsey so much for his contributions to our first two games. Iirc then it was a tap in from a rebounded shot he came to clean up more so then actually creating the chance in the first place? All I know is that if Giroud had scored this goal in a different match then people would be saying " yeah but he's still ****, one goal doesn't mean anything". I expected more impact on the game from Ramsey (who hasn't had a world cup) and I know he's capable of more then just scoring the occasional winning goal as we've seen last season.
Jack Wilshere again, carries no impact into games and also a very short world cup.

I think Wenger's been trying to experiment with what set up works best. We have so many players up front that there's so many different formations we could try but I hope yesterday was enough to let Wenger know that 4-1-4-1 isn't going to work against the big sides. It may do, like when we were playing City our presence in the midfield was far greater then theirs and they felt over run. It's not something we can always do because of how poor our pressing game is at times and how easily we lose the ball. Count the amount of times our players were dispossessed yesterday by simple tackles though I'll give credit where it is due with Everton's strong defensive set up. Against the smaller sides our possession game works well and it means we can effectively see out games consistently but our possession game hasn't been good enough so that we can effectively use it vs the bigger sides. See both games vs Liverpool in Febuary last season and compare our set ups and relate them to the scorelines.

I've gone off the tracks massively here :lol: but yeah I'm quite keen on seeing us revert back to 4231 with Walcott Ozil Sanchez on the 3. Walcott is a workhorse, probably one of my favorite Arsenal players at the moment so it really is a shame he missed like 90% of last season. Really hope Walcott gets put on when we're playing City on the 10th and it may even mean we end up with a result (one point at the Ethiad would be massive)

I agree. Arteta was a valuable player for us but he's past his time and we really need to look for some one for the long term. People are saying we need a tank to fill his space but I don't think it's completely necessary.
Even if we had say a Matic-esque player in place of Flamini yesterday, we still most likely would have conceded those goals because again, they were due to Ozil's, Merte's and Chambers mistake. I was quite hopeful we'd sign Khedira actually. He's not exactly the holding midfielder we're looking for but people seem to forget that Arteta was an attacking midfielder when we had signed him too. Khedira is bigger and more physical so already offers more presence on the pitch, he's also faster too where as Arteta just looks like he's lost his legs. I really don't know who we'd replace Arteta with because Khedira is out of the question (Ancelotti confirmed he was staying), and Carvalho most likely won't happen either.

I don't really see it as consolation tbh. He knows that he bottled it the first time so he has no choice but to make sure that he doesn't repeat the mistake.

I also don't know why Wenger went with Merte/Chambers... Merte is hardly match fit it seems and Chambers is way too inexperienced to play such a big game like that. Koscielny for Merte would have been much better tbh. Merte has been exposed on 1 on 1's a lot where as Koscielny has a much better success rate in these situations. The ideal set up would have been Merte/Koscielny which was our best pairing last season but I'd imagine Wenger thought Koscielny wasn't fit enough (but Merte was??)
(edited 9 years ago)
Oh well, at least United are still ****.

Latest