The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hi, i got a C in ocr english language, 13 ums (6 marks) off a B and 5 marks off a D. I'm fairly confident I should have at least got a B in that exam. Is it worth a remark?

Also i'm 1 mark off in cambridge igcse physics, is that worth a remark?

I am 4 marks off an a* in aqa geography, is that worth a remark as there are a lot of 6-8 mark case study questions?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by willjmars
Hello!

In advance, thanks for any advice given.

So, I got my GCSE grades on Thursday and in general I was pretty please.

However, I was incredibly angry/annoyed to find out that I missed out on the A* grade in AQA PRE and Chemistry by just one UMS. That's right folks, one b****y UMS!

After some thinking, i've decided I defiantly want to get at least some of the modules remarked in order to hopefully bump up my grades to the A*.

Listed below are the UMS that I got in each module that made up the qualification. I would appreciate advice on what modules to get remarked.

AQA Chemistry:

Unit One: 90/100 UM​S
Unit Two: 94/100 UMS
Unit Three: 95/100 UMS
Unit Four (ISA): 80/100 UMS CANNOT GET REMARKED

So, as you can see I got an A* in all of the written papers but due to my lower mark in the ISA my overall grade was pulled down.

In this situation, what papers would you recommend to get remarked. Instinctively I would say all, but then again grade could go down.

TL;DR - Missed out on A* in Chemistry by one UMS. Results for papers are listed above. If you were in my situation, which papers would you recommend getting remarked?
AQA PRE:

Unit One: 90/100
Unit Two: 89/100

So, this situation is a little different to my chemistry one. Due to how close both marks are to the boundary, I am left with less wiggle room. I do not want to be in the situation where one grade goes up, but the other goes down, only to leave me with the result I got before.

TL;DR - Missed out on A* in PRE by one UMS. Need advice on what papers to get remarked. If you were in my situation, which papers would you get remarked?

Thanks again.

- will

i am in a very similar position to you; i got A*s in all 3 chemistry units but missed the A* overall by 3 UMS because my ISA was marked 80 UMS which is completely ridiculous as i got 98 UMS in my other 2 ISAs and they're basically the same exam :/ i've sent off all 3 modules to be remarked just in case that works (and i have some money to spare) but otherwise, i'm thinking of asking the school to send off ISAs for remarking and appealing because this is really gutting and it has happened to a lot of us.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was originally predicted an A* in AQA business studies and ended up with an A because my unit 1 was marked as a D while unit 2 and 3 were both A* grades. Is this normal or should I get a remark?
I got 172 UMS in RS? Should I remark it and hope for an A* or should I leave it? Also, how long does it take for remarks from the 3 exam boards?
Reply 244
How flexible is OCR Geography A marking? Was 1 UMS point off an A* (i.e. 1 mark) and would like to submit a paper for a remark, unless the Geography mark scheme is so strict it's pointless to make an attempt.
Can you retake and remark?
Reply 246
Original post by Morgan123456
Can you retake and remark?

Yes. :yes:

Spoiler

Do you think its worth getting my physics papers remarked if I was 2ums of the next grade which is 1 mark across all three papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 8472
Yes. :yes:

Spoiler

I was thinking that because I was 3 ums around 1 to 2 marks off a c I wanted to remark but if I ended up not getting my c id do a retake thank you
Original post by noshahmad
Do you think its worth getting my physics papers remarked if I was 2ums of the next grade which is 1 mark across all three papers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
iam in the exact same position as you as iam only 1 or 2 marks to get a c overall i have been on the student room a couple of days and this has been the question I asked and iam glad to say their positive the only negatove is that science has a strict mark scheme bur becaise I got a c c b and tuen an f the other results look so different to my biology results and all my teachers where really suprised so iam getting it remarked and you should.i hope this helps
Reply 250

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can do but physics is one of the subjects that isn't marker subjective. Generally the answer is only one thing or from a list of things. Which means you're less likely to make up marks since I guess they are generally more accurately marked.

I was thinking that because I was 3 ums around 1 to 2 marks off a c I wanted to remark but if I ended up not getting my c id do a retake thank you

Ahh I get what you mean. :smile:
Original post by 8472
You can do but physics is one of the subjects that isn't marker subjective. Generally the answer is only one thing or from a list of things. Which means you're less likely to make up marks since I guess they are generally more accurately marked.

Ahh I get what you mean. :smile:

Thanks for replying would biology be more likely to gain marks?
iam in the exact same position as you as iam only 1 or 2 marks to get a c overall i have been on the student room a couple of days and this has been the question I asked and iam glad to say their positive the only negatove is that science has a strict mark scheme bur becaise I got a c c b and tuen an f the other results look so different to my biology results and all my teachers where really suprised so iam getting it remarked and you should.i hope this helps

The thing is that, even though there is a mark scheme, some people aren't lenient with the 'acceptable' part of it or they may not have marked it correct if its written in a certain way, its very expensive if I get them all remarked, about £90-100 but if I can find one mark in 3 papers I can get a better grade and I think its worth it, if you do feel like you've been marked incorrectly

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 253
Thanks for replying would biology be more likely to gain marks?

I guess the mark is more likely to change in that since there is less predefined single answer questions. Remember your grade can also go down when remarking. It isn't just remark and automatically stay same or go up. :tongue:
The thing is that, even though there is a mark scheme, some people aren't lenient with the 'acceptable' part of it or they may not have marked it correct if its written in a certain way, its very expensive if I get them all remarked, about £90-100 but if I can find one mark in 3 papers I can get a better grade and I think its worth it, if you do feel like you've been marked incorrectly

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do agree with you as probably the first examiner may be more strict as the one who remarks your exam may be more less strict as in a way tgey fell a little bad and they also try and find ways to increase your marks and about the financial problems if they do go up they refund you
Original post by 8472
I guess the mark is more likely to change in that since there is less predefined single answer questions. Remember your grade can also go down when remarking. It isn't just remark and automatically stay same or go up. :tongue:

Yeah I know their is more formulas in physics and they give you the formula to work it out but the 6 mark question it could be the examiner was a bit unfair on the punctuatipn etc and as iam only 1 to 2 marks off I will be unlikely ro go right down
Hey guys,

Guys, I'm remarking two of my exams, Religous Studies and History B - boards AQA and Edexcel respectively. I was two UMS off in both. I was just wondering what my chances are in it going up? Also, when exactly will I get my revised results back? Also, I just wanted to find out whether or not the examiner who marks the remarks know the initial grade and mark. Thanks guys
Original post by muhammedk
Hey guys,

Guys, I'm remarking two of my exams, Religous Studies and History B - boards AQA and Edexcel respectively. I was two UMS off in both. I was just wondering what my chances are in it going up? Also, when exactly will I get my revised results back? Also, I just wanted to find out whether or not the examiner who marks the remarks know the initial grade and mark. Thanks guys

I think history will be more likelty due to having much more marks for the question but for re it may be a more fair examiner so you may increase in both abd the examinerrdo know you intial grade.
I got 2A*s, 7As, 3Bs and a distinction I got close a couple of times to the next grade but they are also close to the lower grade boundary. Are my grades good enough for a medicine course? And should I get some exam papers remarked? Thanks.
Reply 259
Hello, I took edexcel IGCSE English language B and I got an A at 75/100
But the A* grade is at 77 and the B grade is at 72 so I'm somewhere in between the two grades. Do any of you think I should ask for a remark? There is only one paper)

Latest