The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

If someone asks what you do for a living, and you say you're a maths teacher, what is their reaction?
Are GCSEs really THAT important?
Original post by Autistic Merit
Answers given.

I got to an girls school.. It's err different. How would you feel about teaching at a girls school xD

Nice thread you've got btw :tongue:
Original post by Hellokiddies
what advice would you give someone who got b's and c's for AS but wants to apply for dentistry?

Very difficult situation. Assuming that there were no extenuating circumstances, much harder work will be needed next year. Universities may judge you on your grades and not give you an offer - I think this is rare though and I think most are happy to give you a conditional in case you do improve.

I would say keep other options open too.

Original post by Pro_crastinator
If someone asks what you do for a living, and you say you're a maths teacher, what is their reaction?

Original post by Huda_medo
Are GCSEs really THAT important?

More important for the school than for the student.

Original post by Carrot_Cake_13

I got to an girls school.. It's err different. How would you feel about teaching at a girls school xD

Nice thread you've got btw :tongue:

I would be very nervous. I find girls much more difficult to understand and manage than boys.

And how do you answer that? :P
This thread is really interesting :smile:, has your autism ever affected your career at all, especially when teaching your students?
Do you think you've ever been truly admired by a student?
Original post by Pro_crastinator
And how do you answer that? :P

I enjoy working with children; they amaze me, make me laugh, make me smile, so many memorable days. It's very challenging. I'm quite attention seeking in a way so I enjoy being looked up to and having to put on a sort of show. But I'm also quite shy in what I tend to call 'unstructured time' and I'm always a bit awkward at parties and gatherings. But if given a firm purpose (e.g. to teach) then I'm in my comfort zone.

Original post by luckylaurax
This thread is really interesting :smile:, has your autism ever affected your career at all, especially when teaching your students?

Yes it affects my communication a lot. I like things to be 'black and white' and get flustered by teachers telling me one thing and then another teacher telling me another.

With the students, I find it hard to adapt to their needs and see things from their perspective. I know that you need to have different approaches with different students and I find this very difficult. I also can't detect sarcasm or any voice intonation/inflection. Also struggle a bit with more subtle things like body language. I can come across rude and blunt sometimes and have made comments to students that I didn't mean to be rude.

e.g. to a boy student saying "your hair looks a bit like Laura's" which obviously embarrassed them but in my mind that wasn't meant to be rude.

Original post by danconway
Do you think you've ever been truly admired by a student?

I think so. I think there are students who really look up to me and I want to be a good role model for them.
What would you do if you caught me chewing gum in the lesson?
Original post by JonnyD
What would you do if you caught me chewing gum in the lesson?

I would tell you that that needs to go in the bin.
What's your favorite year to teach and why?

Why are numbers in base 10s or whatever?

Does it annoy you when you see students with a lot of potential messing around and wasting their potential?

Cheers and good AMA btw, was an interesting read :biggrin:
Not sure what exam board you teach, also for AS maths, are there any good revision books and websites you would recommend your students to use to benefit their learning?
(edited 9 years ago)
Very difficult situation. Assuming that there were no extenuating circumstances, much harder work will be needed next year. Universities may judge you on your grades and not give you an offer - I think this is rare though and I think most are happy to give you a conditional in case you do improve.

I would say keep other options open too.

I've been having personal issues both with family and mental health but my teachers don't know about it and i'm not prepared to tell them about my mental issues. Would it make a difference if i told them about family issues i've been having?
Original post by BBeyond
What's your favorite year to teach and why?

Why are numbers in base 10s or whatever?

Does it annoy you when you see students with a lot of potential messing around and wasting their potential?

Cheers and good AMA btw, was an interesting read :biggrin:

1. Year 7 because they behave like angels for 2/3 of the year at least. Also easy to tell them off as it still has an effect on them.

2. I think base 12 would actually be better since 12 has more factors. But I don't know why base 10 was chosen as opposed to other possibilities. I know other civilisations used different bases.

3. Yes it is very frustrating to see them throw away their opportunities. Especially when you see students from the same school who really want to do well, it breaks my heart in a way to see how some come from broken families and have **** home lives (we are allowed to know a bit about their backgrounds) but still put in maximum effort in school and are always polite even though they have every excuse to give up hope.
Original post by jshep000
Not sure what exam board you teach, also for AS maths, are there any good revision books and websites you would recommend your students to use to benefit their learning?

We use MEI so we just use these books:

http://www.mei.org.uk/albooks
Reply 475
We use Base 10 because we have 10 fingers...true story.
Original post by Hellokiddies
I've been having personal issues both with family and mental health but my teachers don't know about it and i'm not prepared to tell them about my mental issues. Would it make a difference if i told them about family issues i've been having?

To be honest it might be difficult to avoid; it's an extenuating circumstance and does account for you underperforming. You don't need to tell every teacher but whoever is in charge of exams at your school does need to know. It could make a difference.
Original post by godd
We use Base 10 because we have 10 fingers...true story.

Source?
To be honest it might be difficult to avoid; it's an extenuating circumstance and does account for you underperforming. You don't need to tell every teacher but whoever is in charge of exams at your school does need to know. It could make a difference.

I really don't want to be treated differently because of this, no one in my family/friends know about my problem and I'm too scared to admit I have a problem

I would be very nervous. I find girls much more difficult to understand and manage than boys.

Nah, were not that hard to handle :lol:

Do you teach the low or the higher sets?

And what do you think of students who just cant seem to understand the concept even after explaining/ how do you deal with it?

Latest