The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Samiz
I'm still waiting for Ozil's debut to be honest

Ozil plays for Arsenal? It's hard to remember that sometimes, given how little he's done for them against any half decent side.
in other news although QPR are woeful, i really don't like the confidence spurs may carry in to our next game if they carry on as they are.

we have all been portraying them as some kind of joke team, but the fact is that they will have maximum points heading in to their game against us.
Can see Spurs causing us some problems next week.
Reply 643
Judging by the bibs in training, Johnson will start tomorrow. ffs

Mignolet
Johnson-Skrtel-Lovren-Moreno
Gerrard
Henderson-Allen
Sterling-Sturridge-Coutinho
Reply 644
I'm just praying you guys put a similar performance tomorrow to the one given vs Southampton :coma:
Spurs faced QPR. Heck Chelsea would win 4-0 and we'll probably put Mikel and Zouma on if we're 2-0 up.
Original post by AR_95
I'm just praying you guys put a similar performance tomorrow to the one given vs Southampton :coma:

Man City will give more space than Southampton who worked on containing Coutinho so Liverpool hopefully will be better attacking wise. Defensive wise fair enough.
Original post by Samiz

Mignolet
Gerrard
Henderson-Allen

Seems this is the team according to Barrett.
Original post by mr tim
Seems this is the team according to Barrett.

As long as Rodgers doesn't turn it into a 4-2-3-1 it's okay I guess.

Upset that Johnson still gets a place in our team
Original post by Samiz

Mignolet
Gerrard
Henderson-Allen

shame johnson is there; would've preferred manquillo, but as long as we play at a decent level, our quick attack can definitely cause city problems.
we'll see what happens - personally not expecting anything but we certainly have the capacity to create an upset.
Original post by Yesss I diddd
As long as Rodgers doesn't turn it into a 4-2-3-1 it's okay I guess.

Upset that Johnson still gets a place in our team

Agreed, if that is a genuine 4-3-3 then I think Liverpool have a good chance. City couldn't handle it when Arsenal played 3 in the middle 2 weeks ago and it left Toure completely ineffective. Liverpool should dominate the midfield with 3 in there and the front 3 will be a nightmare for whoever partners Kompany. If it is Demichelis then Sterling and Sturridge will tear him apart.
Johnson is not ideal but long term I am sure Rodgers will go for Manquillo. Johnson has been around for a while and with his attacking presence, it might keep Silva and Kolarov a bit more defensive, lets just hope at no point does he have to defend.
Reply 651
Not expecting anything either. Only way we'll get anything is if Can and Manquillo start.

Kick in the teeth for Manquillo. Has a solid debut, and in the same match Johnson does absolutely appalling and costs us a goal. Yet Johnson gets the nod.
Original post by Samiz
Not expecting anything either. Only way we'll get anything is if Can and Manquillo start.

Kick in the teeth for Manquillo. Has a solid debut, and in the same match Johnson does absolutely appalling and costs us a goal. Yet Johnson gets the nod.

Johnson didn't cost us a goal at all, he was third/fourth down the blame list.

I'm a massive Johnson hater but don't spread lies.
Reply 653
Johnson didn't cost us a goal at all, he was third/fourth down the blame list.

I'm a massive Johnson hater but don't spread lies.

Watch it again. Johnson and Lucas share the blame, but Clyne ran in the space Johnson should've been. Johnson was stood as still as a statue, ball watching. When Lovren moved up, Johnson should've immediately moved up too, but instead did absolutely nothing and allowed Clyne to run goal side.
Reply 654

Sterling was covering the left back position. As soon as Lovren went to close down Tadic, Johnson should've immediately have moved up, which wouldn't have allowed Clyne to get goalside of the defence. Instead he stood still in no man's land. I do believe Lucas had the most reponsibility and should've tracked Clyne's run, but Johnson is definitely at fault too.
Original post by Samiz
Watch it again. Johnson and Lucas share the blame, but Clyne ran in the space Johnson should've been. Johnson was stood as still as a statue, ball watching. When Lovren moved up, Johnson should've immediately moved up too, but instead did absolutely nothing and allowed Clyne to run goal side.

Skrtel is the one who should be covering that space, not Johnson. He should have moved over immediately to follow Lovren.

Lucas should have tracked the run but he turned blindside to the ball, which is a cardinal error.

From the above it seems like you watched a different goal to me.
Original post by Samiz

Sterling was covering the left back position. As soon as Lovren went to close down Tadic, Johnson should've immediately have moved up, which wouldn't have allowed Clyne to get goalside of the defence. Instead he stood still in no man's land. I do believe Lucas had the most reponsibility and should've tracked Clyne's run, but Johnson is definitely at fault too.

You've shown the wrong screenshot.

Skrtel should have moved over. There's analysis of this on RAWK if you want to read it.

Johnson was behind Sterling, ready to take Tadic if he turned the other way of Lovren, or if Clyne made the standard overlap run instead of the underlap (Sterling was marking a man on the touchline). Johnson should have moved quicker I agree but his initial positioning isn't why the goal was conceded - the space was created by Skrtel not moving over, and it's 100% Lucas' fault that the run was not tracked.

Glen Johnson did not cost us that goal, whatever his constant other faults
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 657
I agree that it was Lucas' responsibility but in my opinion you can't blame Skrtel any more than you can blame Johnson. It was on the right hand side and therefore it's more the responsibility of our left sided defenders.

Anyway, the goal is in the past. I was criticizing Johnson for his overall performance and the lack of effort he puts into every game, rather than solely on Clyne's goal.

The thing with Johnson is that if he actually looked like he cared about playing for the club, he'd get so much less hate. No player should be abused by our fans at all, but I have no idea what he expects when he loses the ball in the opposition half and starts trudging back towards his position; his attitude is absolutely abysmal at the moment.

I'm also not a fan of some of ours fans that scapegoat Skrtel (I'm not suggesting you are one - just a lot do).

Let's move on to Monday; hopefully it's Nasri and Kolarov up against Johnson rather than the likes of Navas and Clichy.
(edited 9 years ago)
You've shown the wrong screenshot.

Skrtel should have moved over. There's analysis of this on RAWK if you want to read it.

Johnson was behind Sterling, ready to take Tadic if he turned the other way of Lovren, or if Clyne made the standard overlap run instead of the underlap (Sterling was marking a man on the touchline). Johnson should have moved quicker I agree but his initial positioning isn't why the goal was conceded - the space was created by Skrtel not moving over, and it's 100% Lucas' fault that the run was not tracked.

Glen Johnson did not cost us that goal, whatever his constant other faults

Skrtel could/should cover but Manquillo isn't goal side of his man and an easy pass is on for their forward if he did go to cover in that scenario. Gaps open even if Skrtel covers, like you said Lucas should be on the man Lovren goes to press.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by So Instinct
Skrtel could/should cover but Manquillo isn't goal side of his man and an easy pass is on for their forward if he did go to cover in that scenario. Gaps open even if Skrtel covers, like you said Lucas should be on the man Lovren goes to press.

Cba to go watch it again, and that screenshot doesn't show how far Manquillo was from Pelle when Tadic had the ball, but Skrtel's priority there is closing that gap (and the threat of the dribble through) and after that covering the pass to Pelle.

Lucas ****ed it hard anyway, so maybe he's declined further, or I was overrating him when we beefed over him at the end of last year loool. Definitely not good enough to start for us anymore and Rodgers is a tool for picking that formation

Quick Reply

Latest