The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheWaffle
Just focus on being happy. Find a job that you love to get up and do in the morning :cool:
Then it doesn't matter as much what you earn and you won't get so caught up on salary. Do you have any hobbies you enjoy? I got into a top 6 uni and then rejected it because I wouldn't have enjoyed it lol

The world, and this forum, needs more people like you.
Petroleum/chemical engineer so £50k +
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 502
Approx £50k+

with maybe 4-5 years exp lol

Don't really care how much I get as long as it's comfortable for me and my future family to do the things we want to do.
(edited 9 years ago)
Money is not what I want so whatever i enough for what I really need and not what I really want.
So whatever pounds it may be a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Chemical Engineering at Cambridge:

- 70k+ in 4 years after graduating http://www.prospects.ac.uk/chemical_engineer_salary.htm

- 200k+ after 4 years if I go into IB

- 184k after 3 years (+ 1 year conversion course) if I go into corporate law (I know somone who has done this already)

- 100k by the time I'm 35 if I do a post grad med course

Just got to work hard and all that is achievable :smile:
Original post by Wisefire
With my current A-levels (maths, economics and history at A2, and physics AS), what would you say is the best course I should take at university, to be in good contention for such jobs at a relatively YOUNG age? Say I got A*AAe or better in these A-levels, and I took a gap year/reapplied... What courses would be open to me, and best to take, to get into IB, or some sort of other field that pays highly? Indeed, I'm blocked out of Chemical Engineering cos of my A-levels. Do you think something like Economic History (less competitive) at a banking target would be open to me, meaning I'd have a chance of getting into IB? What would you suggest? I'm willing to work hard for such salaries you've stated. They intimidate me, and bloody upset/motivate me quite frankly...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Economics at a target uni will set you up for a job in IB, in fact any degree at Oxbridge/LSE/imperial will do.
Original post by StevenJH
The world, and this forum, needs more people like you.

Aw thanks! :colondollar: That means a lot

My course isn't there as it is a joint, although the highest one out of the courses in the join course is £30,000, meh not bad. Although I'll probably take that with a pinch of salt.
Just focus on being happy. Find a job that you love to get up and do in the morning :cool:
Then it doesn't matter as much what you earn and you won't get so caught up on salary. Do you have any hobbies you enjoy? I got into a top 6 uni and then rejected it because I wouldn't have enjoyed it lol

But then you can say that if you just bear the pain, the life you'd have after you retire will be a lot more luxurious than if you did what you loved for the whole time and that could also mean more happier as you'd be able to do things you might not necessarily have been able to.
Original post by Dilzo999
But then you can say that if you just bear the pain, the life you'd have after you retire will be a lot more luxurious than if you did what you loved for the whole time and that could also mean more happier as you'd be able to do things you might not necessarily have been able to.

Or you might die while toiling away at the profitable thing you hate and dreaming of your happy retirement. Being miserable now for possible later is a risk.
Reply 510
£250k a week when I become a professional footballer
Not sure, I want to continue on and do a masters and PHD, and hopefully get a decent paying job that allows progression, I expect I'd start at 20-25k at first.

How do you know you wouldn't have enjoyed the 'top 6 uni'? Given that you called it top 6 and didn't say Oxbridge - you realise there's generally a much smaller difference between non-Oxbridge 'top 6 universities' and other good universities outside of the 'top 6' than there is between Oxbridge and the other four universities in the 'top 6' (for science subjects at least).
Original post by AnharM
My A-Level Chemistry teacher, who is around 34 years old, earns around £50,000. He's Head of Science in his school, so he has a lot of responsibility. I told him that's a lot of money, but he goes it ain't...teachers get all the holidays, which is great.

£50k isnt alot at all. But he's right about teachers getting the best holidays by miles. Im surprised he even told you how much he gets paid tbh.
EXACTLY. Tell that to the amount of people here who don't fully appreciate that if you're in London, you're a university graduate (ESPECIALLY if you're a top 6, even top 10 graduate), in a good course, consider that, WTF, most of the upper-middle class and professionals DID go to top universities, AND how the London average wage is £39k, SURELY A) £50k is NOTHING (IT IS, I can tell you for sure; me and my opinions are a primary source of info on this exact salary figure, if you want some, ffs), and B) you very much CAN exceed £50k (lol), AND go on top £80k+, and indeed far more, if you work hard. Surely that's the case? Surely most people fall into this idea that SO many damn TSR peeps keep implying... That most stay within the £30k/£40k/£50k range for all their lives? That's not a nice thought. At all.

Surely my reasoning is logical, based on what I know (the abovementioned).

Why don't you just move out of London? The North for example is generally a lot cheaper than London and your 50k goes a lot further
EXACTLY. Tell that to the amount of people here who don't fully appreciate that if you're in London, you're a university graduate (ESPECIALLY if you're a top 6, even top 10 graduate), in a good course, consider that, WTF, most of the upper-middle class and professionals DID go to top universities, AND how the London average wage is £39k, SURELY A) £50k is NOTHING (IT IS, I can tell you for sure; me and my opinions are a primary source of info on this exact salary figure, if you want some, ffs), and B) you very much CAN exceed £50k (lol), AND go on top £80k+, and indeed far more, if you work hard. Surely that's the case? Surely most people fall into this idea that SO many damn TSR peeps keep implying... That most stay within the £30k/£40k/£50k range for all their lives? That's not a nice thought. At all.

Surely my reasoning is logical, based on what I know (the abovementioned).

Lool i remember speaking to you about something similar. You're extremely passionate and ambitious about this i can see. Im the same, i'll be starting UCL for economics and statistics this year and plan to go all out on applications for internships etc in order to reach the level that i want. Stick to your plan and achieve it, no need to be so vocal about it and i can understand why some people in the other posts saw that you were obsessed with money. At the same time dont let other people get in the way of your personal ambitions. If its a mill before 28, by all means go for it.
Original post by Hazard17
£50k isnt alot at all. But he's right about teachers getting the best holidays by miles. Im surprised he even told you how much he gets paid tbh.

Never said it was bro. Someone mentioned it on here that most people won't ever see £50k in their life lol, they're wrong. It's very common.

Yeah, his brother-in-law was my best mate in college, and I was the brightest person in his class, plus we're both Chelsea fans, so we got on really well LOL :biggrin:
Original post by AnharM
Never said it was bro. Someone mentioned it on here that most people won't ever see £50k in their life lol, they're wrong. It's very common.

Yeah, his brother-in-law was my best mate in college, and I was the brightest person in his class, plus we're both Chelsea fans, so we got on really well LOL :biggrin:

Looool fair enough haha. Whenever i've conjured up the balls to ask, i've always gotten the "thats personal, but i can give you a rough idea", but it never gets anywhere lool.

Have you got your accom sorted and everything anyway?
Original post by AnharM

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/4108

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/25/uk-incomes-how-salary-compare

An income of £50k puts an individual in the top 10% of earners in the UK. Most people won't attain that as a salary. That's a basic fact. If you think the majority of the population are getting through life on anywhere near that much money you have a very skewed perception of what normal life is like.

Earning over £100k a year, per the IFS study, puts a person in the top percent of earners. And then at that point we start to reach the realms in which money isn't coming from a wage any more, it's coming from investments. The top 0.1% (£350k and up) make up almost half their income from sources other than a salary.
Original post by ManifoldManifest
http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/4108

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/25/uk-incomes-how-salary-compare

An income of £50k puts an individual in the top 10% of earners in the UK. Most people won't attain that as a salary. That's a basic fact. If you think the majority of the population are getting through life on anywhere near that much money you have a very skewed perception of what normal life is like.

Earning over £100k a year, per the IFS study, puts a person in the top percent of earners. And then at that point we start to reach the realms in which money isn't coming from a wage any more, it's coming from investments. The top 0.1% (£350k and up) make up almost half their income from sources other than a salary.

Do you see yourself earning more than £50k a year ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending