The Student Room Group

Multi-organ failure

Here's the recent life story of Andrew, now 34, a guy I got to know 6 years ago, he was happy & married & in London on a working visa.

"To cut a very long story short back to when I was 30.. I found myself in the ICU section of the Royal Adelaide Hospital for 3 months with pain that one cannot explain or comprehend unless experienced, not being able to breathe and my natural body shutting down due to multi-organ failure. The only option was to be put into an induced coma and maybe wake up later. I was enjoying the privilege of experiencing Necrotising Pancreatitis. Four infections later (two lethal), two blood clots, 42 degrees body temperature, low blood count, leaking liver, renal failure, multiple blood transfusions, 11 CT scans, pick lines, being fed & drained through tubes, 30kgs of body mass loss, 6 biliary drains, 1 liver stent, IVC filters, IV narcotic pain relief, much more - and to top it off the removal of the majority of my necrotic pancreas which was slowly killing me and being sliced horizontally through my abdomen. Life expectancy was going to be ZERO or if I was lucky 3-6 months. During that "lucky" time, life would be hard - a life of constant pain, copious amounts of methodone for pain relief, taking food enzymes to digest nutrients, type 1 diabetes plus a few more nasties.

Through the power of prayer & faith, God gave my family and myself comfort in knowing that what ever the outcome, it was all Gods' problem to deal with. Medically, physically & mentally there was limits - Spiritually & miraculously there was none.
Now - I'm still naturally alive with some nasty complications, I was healed from Type 1 diabetes and am miraculously living without a vital organ in the body (without insulin or digestive enzymes). Mentally, God has taken all the sorrow, heartache & troubles I need to deal with due to illness, but spiritually, God has given me a wonderful living testimony that I can share daily. God performed miracles "back then", the "holy spirit" was poured out "back then"... today it's still happening.

I can only thank God through his grace, mercy & miraculous healing power that I'm still alive in the natural. Spiritually, having repented, been baptised and filled with the holy spirit with the evidence of speaking in tongues, God allows me to share the wonderful natural miracle that has been performed in my life. Naturally we all have a time frame on this earth, no one that has lived has been exempt from this, but spiritually there is option 1 & 2 - live forever or die forever. What ever happens in the natural is just an experience and some of us have it good or not so good, but having the opportunity to be able to live forever spiritually is an amazing gift."

I can add that before this happened his wife left him (and later regretted it) and he is now happily re-married.
Andrew C.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
ICU is the most depressing place in the world to see.
I was in an ICU on a work placement a few years ago.
Why is this on TSR?
Reply 3
Original post by Lemonpopsicle2
Why is this on TSR?

Being a student is preparation for life.
Life can throw things at you, in fact it will do.

Medical students should be aware of what's going on.
All students can be directly or indirectly affected by multi-organ failure, so it's better to have an answer that works rather than no hope but a short life sentence.
Original post by NJA

All students can be directly or indirectly affected by multi-organ failure, so it's better to have an answer that works rather than no hope but a short life sentence.

Currently there is no cure for diabetes, type 1 or type 2. God performed no miracles; the doctors and nurses worked exceptionally hard. You cannot undermine the work of medical professionals and give all the credit to God.
Original post by NJA

Ah, I see, so it's all down to God then, thanks for the heads up.
Reply 6
Original post by Pectorac
Currently there is no cure for diabetes, type 1 or type 2. God performed no miracles; the doctors and nurses worked exceptionally hard. You cannot undermine the work of medical professionals and give all the credit to God.

I'm not underminig their work!
They did good work.
What I am saying is that health professionals, based on years of medical experience, told him to expect to die,
but, his relationship with God must have affected his body bio-chemically, either strengthened it's recovery ability or somethings we cannot explain.

The point is, he lives a happy life whereas if he had *only* relied on what the medical professionals said he probably wouldn't.
Original post by NJA
I'm not underminig their work!
They did good work.
What I am saying is that health professionals, based on years of medical experience, told him to expect to die,
but, his relationship with God must have affected his body bio-chemically, either strengthened it's recovery ability or somethings we cannot explain.

The point is, he lives a happy life whereas if he had *only* relied on what the medical professionals said he probably wouldn't.

Again, there is no cure for diabetes but you are claiming there is one. God did not affect his biochemistry; doctors and nurses cannot see inside a patient all the time; a certain drug started to affect a certain organ in a certain way, which eventually lead to his recovery. Loo up pharmacokinetics and pharmacology. Why would God save this one man when there are millions of other people dying in pain; what makes this one person so special instead of all of the others pleading for God's help?

You are undermining medical professionals; it was them who saved a life, not God. Without them, he would be dead .
Reply 8
...Why would God save this one man when there are millions of other people dying in pain; what makes this one person so special instead of all of the others pleading for God's help?

It's the old-old story. So-called people of God were enraged when Jesus told how their calling to God made no difference because there was no actual faith (which comes from relationship with God):

"I tell you of a truth, many widows were in Israel in the days of Elijah,
when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;
(being a widow then in a time of famine basically meant death).
But to none of them was Elijah sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon (non-Israelite),
to a woman that was a widow.
And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Elishah the prophet; and none of them was cleansed,
saving Naaman the Syrian (non-Israelite).
And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, and rose up,
and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built,
that they might cast him down headlong." (Luke 5:25-29)

Without faith it is impossible to please God, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NJA
It's the old-old story. So-called people of God were enraged when Jesus told how their calling to God made no difference because there was no actual faith (which comes from relationship with God):

when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, when great famine was throughout all the land;
But to none of them was Elijah sent, save unto Sarepta, a city of Sidon (non-Israelite),
And many lepers were in Israel in the time of Elishah the prophet; and none of them was cleansed,
saving Naaman the Syrian(non-Israelite).
And all they in the synagogue, when they heard these things, were filled with wrath, and rose up,
and thrust him out of the city, and led him unto the brow of the hill whereon their city was built,

Without faith it is impossible to please God, faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

For the third time, why have you not addressed my point that currently there is no cure for diabetes, like you claim?
Reply 10
For the third time, why have you not addressed my point that currently there is no cure for diabetes, like you claim?

I have messaged him to get any more details he may have on the diabetes bit.
Original post by NJA
I have messaged him to get any more details he may have on the diabetes bit.

If he says he is cured, he is in denial and he is lying. Many diabetics deny they have the condition so they don't have to adjust their diet and inject themselves, even though by ignoring the problem they are damaging their bodies every day. There is no cure for diabetes in the world.
Original post by NJA

(being a widow then in a time of famine basically meant death).
saving Naaman the Syrian (non-Israelite).

What kind of 'benevolent' god would be so narcissistic to only heal those who worship him? If a human had the ability to heal but only did so if he had constant praise and adoration, he would be a psychopathic maniac, not someone worth loving and a person to give all credit to for human accomplishments.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by PhoenixFire17
What kind of 'benevolent' god would be so narcissistic to only heal those who worship him? If a human had the ability to heal but only did so if he had constant praise and adoration, he would be a psychopathic maniac, not someone worth loving and a person to give all credit to for human accomplishments.

As I mentioned in post # 9, most people's (and it seems your own) idea of what God wants is wrong.
He wants relationship, (which is why we need to receive His Spirit), then we really appreciate him and our thoughts, words, desires and expectations are changed.
This is true worship, not wearing yourself out repeating mantras you are not experiencing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by NJA
As I mentioned in post # 9, most people's (and it seems your own) idea of what God wants is wrong.
He wants relationship, (which is why we need to receive His Spirit), then we really appreciate him and our thoughts, words, desires and expectations are changed.
This is true worship, not wearing yourself out repeating mantras you are not experiencing.

The same principle still applies - according to your religion, god chooses who lives and who dies based purely on their 'relationship' with him. If someone was dying way before their time, and although they were a wonderful person who had given their life to others, they believed in a different god or was an athiest, or they didn't have a good 'relationship' with him, would he still let them die, or would he save them?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by PhoenixFire17
The same principle still applies - according to your religion, god chooses who lives and who dies based purely on their 'relationship' with him. If someone was dying way before their time, and although they were a wonderful person who had given their life to others, they believed in a different god or was an athiest, or they didn't have a good 'relationship' with him, would he still let them die, or would he save them?

Don't know if you can reduce a love relationship to a "principle".
There is "The Tree of Life" which Adam and Eve were given access to but they chose the alternative resulting in suffering and death.
"You reap what you sow" is a similar principle, what you believe in clearly affects your life.
Whatever you believe in & live by is your religion (even if you say "I'm not religious").

You can be a jolly person that goes out of their way to do charity events but who over-eats, drinks too much etc and generally believes in living for the moment, your goodness will not prevent dying younger than someone who is more restrained in these things.
Reply 16
If he says he is cured, he is in denial and he is lying. Many diabetics deny they have the condition so they don't have to adjust their diet and inject themselves, even though by ignoring the problem they are damaging their bodies every day. There is no cure for diabetes in the world.

I got a message back: he has a photo of the removed necrotic pancreas ... dysfunction or damage to the pancreas cells causes diabetes, let alone having it removed. The medical report is 174 pages and there is a mention of blood sugar tests which are normal range.

Is anything in that report going to convince you on the diabetes bit?
Original post by NJA
I got a message back: he has a photo of the removed necrotic pancreas ... dysfunction or damage to the pancreas cells causes diabetes, let alone having it removed. The medical report is 174 pages and there is a mention of blood sugar tests which are normal range.

Is anything in that report going to convince you on the diabetes bit?

The pancreas regulates blood sugar levels, so he is even more diabetic now he doesn't have a pancreas. The cells of the pancreas excrete insulin to keep blood sugar levels down, so without a pancreas his sugars will rise to dangerous levels, damaging his kidneys and giving him skin ulcers all around his body.

'At this time there is no known cure for Types 1 diabetes or Type 2 diabetes.' http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/What-is-diabetes/Is-there-a-cure/
(edited 9 years ago)
The health forum is here for people to get advice or support on health matters, not to debate whether it was God or medical professionals who saved someone. This thread is closed.

Latest