The Student Room Group

What A levels to choose if I want to be a doctor

I am confused about what a levels to take in the future, I am currently getting ready to do my gcse's this year however I would like to have opinions about what A levels to take when I go college if I want to become a doctor.
Reply 1
Chemistry and biology will keep your choices open for most(if not all) the medical schools. Remember that you have to take chemistry to A2, and usually another science subject.
Maths and physics are also popular subjects chosen by medical applicants, however, they are not compulsory.
My advice is, choose 2 other subjects that you enjoy, you'll be naturally more prone to get good grades and not hate your life when revising.
Biology, chemistry and two others. You don't need maths or physics.
They also like you to have a subject which demonstrates writing ability such as English literature or history. :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks for the help guys!:smile:
Reply 5
From what I understand from friends who've applied for med schools, Chemistry and Biology are pretty much compulsory. Maths to at least AS level is desirable but not totally necessary, and something like RS or philosophy is fairly desirable as it shows you can think about ethics, which is an important part of medicine. Good luck!
Original post by Blue230699
I am confused about what a levels to take in the future, I am currently getting ready to do my gcse's this year however I would like to have opinions about what A levels to take when I go college if I want to become a doctor.

Do Biology and Chemistry, and then 2 other respected subjects that you enjoy. For example, Maths/Physics/History/English Literature etc etc etc.

It doesn't matter whether your 3rd and 4th subjects are science/maths or humanities. You should do the subjects that you enjoy and are good at.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by RosieEPQ
From what I understand from friends who've applied for med schools, Chemistry and Biology are pretty much compulsory. Maths to at least AS level is desirable but not totally necessary, and something like RS or philosophy is fairly desirable as it shows you can think about ethics, which is an important part of medicine. Good luck!

Do you think psychology would be a good A level to take. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by VioletPhillippo
They also like you to have a subject which demonstrates writing ability such as English literature or history. :smile:

What do you think is better or in other words a bit easier English language or English literature :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Blue230699
Do you think psychology would be a good A level to take. :smile:

I did psychology A-level, and kind of enjoyed it...the exam technique, especially for AS, is quite hard to grasp but it is certainly interesting! Another thing to possibly consider is that some universities consider it a 'soft' subject and so don't respect it as much as, say, maths or English lit. I don't know how much that matters for the med schools you'd be looking at, though - I suspect it wouldn't matter too much but it would definitely be something to think about.
Original post by RosieEPQ

Maths is not stated as desirable for any medical school except Cambridge; nobody will be disadvantaged for any other medical school if they don't take maths. Even with Cambridge they will accept physics instead of maths, and nowhere else cares if you do an essay subject instead.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by VioletPhillippo

Does anywhere except UCL say that?
Reply 12
Maths, Chemistry and Biology for sure. As a fourth subject you could consider taking a humanity e.g. my friend who is doing Medicine at Oxford took economics alternitivly you could take: geography, english, history, whatever you feel you will get a top grade in; as long as it is respected by the universities.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Does anywhere except UCL say that?

Agreed, I only ever saw UCL - and they said something more generic about preferring applicants with a wider range of subjects (i.e. Not just science).

I believe the Oxbridgies (possibly Imperial also) generally have a high percentage of all-science applicants. Perhaps because having done 3 science A levels helps on the BMAT, but also perhaps because they have science-intensive courses (in the first 3 years).

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending