The Student Room Group

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FeelingDepressed
Getting so much reassurance from this thread.

ABBE achieved at AS last week.

This doesn't sound too bad except the E was in Biology and the only subject I actually need for my chosen career. I need Biology at a grade B for A-Level.

Anyone else just achieved an E at AS and hoping to turn it around to a B by the end of year 13?

Is this even possible. I got a a U and a D in the written papers and a C in the practical. Would you retake all three modules?

What can I expect or hope at best as a predicted grade?

Help!!!

Of course you can as long as you put the hard work in you will be fine.
(edited 9 years ago)

This doesn't sound too bad except the E was in Biology and the only subject I actually need for my chosen career. I need Biology at a grade B for A-Level.

Anyone else just achieved an E at AS and hoping to turn it around to a B by the end of year 13?

Is this even possible. I got a a U and a D in the written papers and a C in the practical. Would you retake all three modules?

Help!!!

Biology is a very tough A level and it requires A LOT of work, i cant put emphasize how much tough work it is.
But it is definitely doable if you put the hard work in, I retook a year and i went from a U to a C in biology so yeah you can definitely achieve it if not higher than me !
BDDU at AS Level

Only came out with CCC at A-Level, but I'm so close to the grade boundaries than after remarks that should be BBC/BBB.

Got into Swansea University. Last summer I was distraught but now I couldn't be happier with the outcome.
Maybe didn't have the highest grades around here, but in my first year, my first exams I sat I got two U's in Philosophy and Psychology. I took those exams again the June/July exam period and managed to get two C's and ended up with two C's overall along with a C in Music. (I know, distinctly average!)

I then resat those two first exams again and ended up with a B in both.

I think what I owe it to is the fact that due to doing A2 essays, I finally understood the marking process of examiners and how to structure my answers properly. Plus the extra knowledge of the subject matter becomes helpful when gaining a few extra marks.

Due to poor teaching, I had effectively given up on Psychology, so I didn't work very hard on my resit and still ended up with a B. As for Philosophy, it's very content heavy and I really wanted a good grade for it, so I put the work in.

I think it's all very specific to the subject content, what teachers you had, etc, but for one subject I didn't work hard at all and for another subject I did, so it's very difficult to say.
GCSE results : 1A* 1A 2B 3C 1D
Btec: ICT- Pass, Business Studies - Merit, Media Studies - Distinction

didn't work (no revision), parents separated, etc scorched through to Results day

Took AS in 2012 in Chem Bio Maths and R.s Received a CDEU I did all the exams with no or the night before revision, which was probably my wakeup call...

Retook the AS this year and just received AABD in Electronics, R.S, Physics, Maths- the D in maths is just for one U in M1 (should've spent more time on it, harder than I expected) hopefully easy to get upto a B, a lot of people flopped maths this year :/

Going to be applying to mechanical engineering probably :smile: I really feel like its nothing to do with intelligence how our academic system works, its more about if you learn the answers, I practically just did all the physics past papers and got an A, got a C in practical so hopefully going to get an A overall... expecting A2 grades of AAB or hopefully AAA - dropping RS at A at AS level

I did the Manchester Access Program which was great help and it encouraged me to want to get to uni, partially the reason I changed my ways maybe.. But if you truly believe in yourself you can do it bro!!!
Even though my results still aren't great, they're such an improvement that im happy anyway :biggrin:

So how I did it, know your stuff! but also know how to apply it... Pastpapers for Maths and sciences is so essential I cannot stress enough, nearly every student that got an A spent its most of free time doing past papers, and for humanities, I made notes on everything I was going to write in the exam, I was clear on all the answers before I walked in to the exam, after memorising literally all of the key facts, make sure you make small cardboard notes as bullet points to keep the gist of your notes, I was reading those until the time I had to walk in for the exam and quickly jot them down before I started answering.

I honestly believe anyone can do it.. as long as you have a couple of braincells and you really want to do it, hard work is all it takes, goodluck to everyone whos in my position, if no one else believes in you I DO MAN! No ones believed I could do it either, everyone told me to quit and just do a Btec course or apprenticeship but I wanted to be successful :biggrin: some sort of jealousy, passion, hard work and memorising past papers hahaha took me up :biggrin: GOOODLUCK TO WHOEVER NEEDS IT OUT THERE

Help!!!

don't worry man, if you read my thread I just posted, it can be done...
but yeah I need to improve my maths from a D to atleast a B hopefully an A, weird thing is that I needed it the most for engineering too but I guess I have been quite unlucky at maths since high school, my teacher was off all year because her son had cancer, I received a C however remarked to a B which was the only reason I was able to do what I am now... I was only 1UMS mark off a B but don't lose hope! We'll survive haha
Original post by 786arslan
GCSE results : 1A* 1A 2B 3C 1D
Btec: ICT- Pass, Business Studies - Merit, Media Studies - Distinction

didn't work (no revision), parents separated, etc scorched through to Results day

Took AS in 2012 in Chem Bio Maths and R.s Received a CDEU I did all the exams with no or the night before revision, which was probably my wakeup call...

Retook the AS this year and just received AABD in Electronics, R.S, Physics, Maths- the D in maths is just for one U in M1 (should've spent more time on it, harder than I expected) hopefully easy to get upto a B, a lot of people flopped maths this year :/

Going to be applying to mechanical engineering probably :smile: I really feel like its nothing to do with intelligence how our academic system works, its more about if you learn the answers, I practically just did all the physics past papers and got an A, got a C in practical so hopefully going to get an A overall... expecting A2 grades of AAB or hopefully AAA - dropping RS at A at AS level

I did the Manchester Access Program which was great help and it encouraged me to want to get to uni, partially the reason I changed my ways maybe.. But if you truly believe in yourself you can do it bro!!!
Even though my results still aren't great, they're such an improvement that im happy anyway :biggrin:

So how I did it, know your stuff! but also know how to apply it... Pastpapers for Maths and sciences is so essential I cannot stress enough, nearly every student that got an A spent its most of free time doing past papers, and for humanities, I made notes on everything I was going to write in the exam, I was clear on all the answers before I walked in to the exam, after memorising literally all of the key facts, make sure you make small cardboard notes as bullet points to keep the gist of your notes, I was reading those until the time I had to walk in for the exam and quickly jot them down before I started answering.

I honestly believe anyone can do it.. as long as you have a couple of braincells and you really want to do it, hard work is all it takes, goodluck to everyone whos in my position, if no one else believes in you I DO MAN! No ones believed I could do it either, everyone told me to quit and just do a Btec course or apprenticeship but I wanted to be successful :biggrin: some sort of jealousy, passion, hard work and memorising past papers hahaha took me up :biggrin: GOOODLUCK TO WHOEVER NEEDS IT OUT THERE

Thanks for your kind words, love a good story. Totally agree that it's not just what you know but how you apply it. I haven't given up yet :rolleyes:
Original post by goobypls
Biology is a very tough A level and it requires A LOT of work, i cant put emphasize how much tough work it is.
But it is definitely doable if you put the hard work in, I retook a year and i went from a U to a C in biology so yeah you can definitely achieve it if not higher than me !

Thank you!
Reply 448
Original post by maidoftheseas
I didn't take a gap year :colondollar:

May I ask what were your predicted grades?
Reply 449
Just got CDDD at AS in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History. I'm going to drop history and carry on with Maths, biology and chemistry. I know i did badly due to a lack of revision& thought i could wing it like gcses, but im gonna work my butt of next year and retake all my as exams.. the problem is i want to apply to ABB/AAB uni's but im wondering if there's any point cause surely they'll take one look at my AS results and reject me? Help/Advice please!
Original post by Jo224
Just got CDDD at AS in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and History. I'm going to drop history and carry on with Maths, biology and chemistry. I know i did badly due to a lack of revision& thought i could wing it like gcses, but im gonna work my butt of next year and retake all my as exams.. the problem is i want to apply to ABB/AAB uni's but im wondering if there's any point cause surely they'll take one look at my AS results and reject me? Help/Advice please!

weirdly enough that wont be your problem, your problem is to get your teacher to predict you them grades, if you can get those predicted grades you will probably get a conditional offer so they only let you in providing you get the results therefore your AS results don't really matter as a lot of people flop in AS :smile: don't worry if you get the predictions
Original post by im so academic
Anyone have any success stories of getting bad at AS, but actually improving at lot in the A2 year?

How hard did you have to work for them?

CCU to BCD

didn't work very hard..
Hey everyone,

I flopped my AS got BBBB in chem, bio, economics and maths. I wanted to study chemical engineering at Imperial.

Is it still possible?
Would resitting modules be a disadvantge?

Someone help me.
got CDDE, first year, retook AS + DONE A2 in second year, got AAB at AS and ACC overall
Reply 454
I'm looking to study a course at uni next year where i need ABB, I've recently got the same AS grades as you did. How were you able to get unconditional uni offers if your AS grades were lower than what you needed? :-)
Reply 455
Hey guys,

I just opened my results now (admittedly a bit late but this was the earliest I could get them -) I ended up getting BBDE in Psychology, English Lit & Lang, Graphics and Biology.

Ignoring the Graphics (because our whole class has somewhat failed and are school is looking to remark the course), what I'm really worried about is the E in Biology. I feel like with enough work I can get A's in Psych & and English at A2 but as I don't want to take Biology for A2 is it worth resitting both modules for it? This especially worries me because I got a C in Lit & Lang Unit 2 and as I'm taking the subject for A2 I would like to retake that module so I could get a higher mark.

I know uni's take AS results into account so I suppose the question is how much? Should I absolutely retake Biology for AS?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Andaxay
I got ACC January before last at AS (back in the days when there were Jan exams, ahh, those were the days); I was chuffed with the A but disappointed with the Cs (even though they're not bad grades). It was a wake-up call and with the resits I did to boost the Cs, I came out with AABB at AS :smile:

When I first started college, the lady interviewing me expressed concern that, because I was a mature student (I was 23 when I started), they were worried I'd get disheartened or find it too challenging and drop out, which would look bad on them. Fair enough I thought, though I was desperate to do my A-levels so I could finally go and do a degree and kick start my career. Thank god they gave me a chance. Got A*AA this year and start uni next month :biggrin:

My advice to anyone contemplating resits: if it's gonna help and you feel you can balance the revision, go for it. I resat F322 chem in an attempt to get an A this year as my teacher was worried I might not get it if I didn't. I was worried it would distract from my other subjects but when it came to it, it fit in nicely with some parts from year 2 anyway. And thank goodness I resat - without it, I'd have missed the A :redface: A B is fantastic but I'm so over the moon with the A that resitting was the best thing I could do. That was only one exam though, I think at A2 it's more challenging so don't take on too many resits unless you honestly believe you can handle the much larger workload.

Good luck guys :smile:

Wow, bravo!
Mind me asking which subjects did you do with chemistry? Trying to get Cs in maths and physics up to at least Bs but because all modules were Cs and Ds I'm not sure how good an idea it is to resit all of the 6 maths and two physics. Will be doing A2 physics and chemistry with them, maybe the resits will help, maybe not. When you resat did you do loads or pick a few? Any advice on managing resits shall be awesome, I get work more, start earlier, time study better. Anything else? :tongue:
Original post by iProcrastinate.
Last year I got BBDD at AS (I thought I could get away with minimal revision like GCSEs)
This year I managed ABB. (Psychology, Biology and Chemistry) Both of the Bs weren't far off As.

My chemistry teacher in particular was almost certain i wouldnt get above a C in chemistry. If I saw him on results day I would have rubbed my results sheet in his face.

chemistry teachers need to lighten up. Others too, i suppose... :tongue:
Though some people do use being told they won't do as well as they want as the fuel for working towards higher grades whether they're aware of it or not aha. But for some it can totally drain their motivation if there's already a determined destination for them, apparently.
Original post by jeylup
Hey guys,

I just opened my results now (admittedly a bit late but this was the earliest I could get them -) I ended up getting BBDE in Psychology, English Lit & Lang, Graphics and Biology.

Ignoring the Graphics (because our whole class has somewhat failed and are school is looking to remark the course), what I'm really worried about is the E in Biology. I feel like with enough work I can get A's in Psych & and English at A2 but as I don't want to take Biology for A2 is it worth resitting both modules for it? This especially worries me because I got a C in Lit & Lang Unit 2 and as I'm taking the subject for A2 I would like to retake that module so I could get a higher mark.

I know uni's take AS results into account so I suppose the question is how much? Should I absolutely retake Biology for AS?

If you don't want to resit + don't want to take it to A2 and think you can get good grades in your other subjects don't bother wasting time on it. I got an E in one of my AS subjects and still got all of my offers and got A*AA this year without worrying about resitting a relatively irrelevant subject

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jo224

Somebody else replied saying that if you get predicted those grades you'll be ok. That's all very well and good in theory but getting predicted an A when you got a C or a B when you got a D will look very suspicious. Unis may be wary as that is a VERY big jump in grades than being predicted a grade up.
I don't know where you want to apply but it may be a good idea to consider a gap year and apply during your gap year with your final, solid grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest