The Student Room Group

Religious studies ( philosophy & ethics)

Hi,

I am thinking of taking this alongside Biology, Sociology, Psychology. I have not taken it at GCSEs so i am looking for a subject that is respected but not too difficult at the same time.

I have looked into the OCR Religous studies (Philosophy and Ethics) course as this is the one that my sixth form teaches. I was surprised to see that the there were so many units! Is the course really that full on?

It would be great to get an insight from someone who has taken the subject, thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by StudyMunchkin
Hi,

I am thinking of taking this alongside Biology, Sociology, Psychology. I have not taken it at GCSEs so i am looking for a subject that is respected but not too difficult at the same time.

I have looked into the OCR Religous studies (Philosophy and Ethics) course as this is the one that my sixth form teaches. I was surprised to see that the there were so many units! Is the course really that full on?

It would be great to get an insight from someone who has taken the subject, thanks.

Finished the course a couple months ago, got an A.

It's not that full-on. If you enjoy it, you will do well.

For AS level (first year) it's more about learning the ideas and regurgitating what you've learnt in the exam - which is more easy.

But, for A2 it's a lot more complicated as you will have to form your own opinions on different philosophers and express them in the exam.

I personally fell in love with the subject, but everyone's different, have a read of a basic philosophy book, if you find it interesting, take the subject!

It will complement sociology/psychology.
Thanks for the response:biggrin:. How many exams and units did you take?? Is there a lot of memorization involved?
Reply 3
Yeah I agree with that ^ it's really an intriguing subject that I too fell in love with, the first year is fairly straight forward I know the amount of units is a bit over whelming but you just learn them all briefly and then revise the strongest ones you're comfortable with. I don't know what you want to do at uni, but I think by relating philosophy to my course in the personal statement helped a bit too where as if i'd done something else it wouldn't have been as helpful. I also took sociology and psychology and theres a lot of overlap which helps with revision!
Original post by zeloe
Yeah I agree with that ^ it's really an intriguing subject that I too fell in love with, the first year is fairly straight forward I know the amount of units is a bit over whelming but you just learn them all briefly and then revise the strongest ones you're comfortable with. I don't know what you want to do at uni, but I think by relating philosophy to my course in the personal statement helped a bit too where as if i'd done something else it wouldn't have been as helpful. I also took sociology and psychology and theres a lot of overlap which helps with revision!

thanks, that us very helpful:biggrin:. I am hopping to study it alongside Sociology and Psychology as well!

How do the exams work? For AS there are two exams at my school, so does this mean you answer the exam question in relation to whichever unit you remember/ like/ know the most? Or do you have to memorise all the units and then there will be questions on two of them?

I am hoping to go down the law route after my A-levels. Do you have any tips or advice for me?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated! :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
thanks, that us very helpful:biggrin:. I am hopping to study it alongside Sociology and Psychology as well!

How do the exams work? For AS there are two exams at my school, so does this mean you answer the exam question in relation to whichever unit you remember/ like/ know the most? Or do you have to memorise all the units and then there will be questions on two of them?

I am hoping to go down the law route after my A-levels. Do you have any tips or advice for me?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated! :smile:

Heya yeah to be honest I really don't remember much even though it was last year LOL but yeah we just learned all the units to a decent extent and obviously the 2 we focused on we answered the questions on that because we were supposed to know it inside out so no matter the question you could write something decent- plus there's some good patterns and trends in exam questions so you can kinda predict what's gonna come up!

That's exactly what I've done! I'm studying law in september and I think linking philosophy to law in your personal statement is a great thing to do as it shows how you're applying your subject knowledge to your career of choice and going beyond school work or something like that :smile:
Original post by zeloe
Heya yeah to be honest I really don't remember much even though it was last year LOL but yeah we just learned all the units to a decent extent and obviously the 2 we focused on we answered the questions on that because we were supposed to know it inside out so no matter the question you could write something decent- plus there's some good patterns and trends in exam questions so you can kinda predict what's gonna come up!

That's exactly what I've done! I'm studying law in september and I think linking philosophy to law in your personal statement is a great thing to do as it shows how you're applying your subject knowledge to your career of choice and going beyond school work or something like that :smile:

Thanks, that's great. I hope its going well for you :biggrin:. I'm still a little confused about the units :confused:. The papers i have looked at focus on a specific unit such as Judea Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism etc. So, will we be told which two units will come up in the exam and we will be made to focus on them? or Will we have to learn all the units and try and guess which one will come up?

it would really help if you could clear thing up for me!! :smile::smile::smile:
Reply 7
Thanks, that's great. I hope its going well for you :biggrin:. I'm still a little confused about the units :confused:. The papers i have looked at focus on a specific unit such as Judea Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism etc. So, will we be told which two units will come up in the exam and we will be made to focus on them? or Will we have to learn all the units and try and guess which one will come up?

it would really help if you could clear thing up for me!! :smile::smile::smile:

Yeah in the paper theres like loads of different units, you're school will choose the unit and you'll have to learn all about it and guess what question comes up.. it's kinda hard to explain but like in unit 1 there might be topic a topic b topic c and d, you can learn d & e in depth and hope a good question comes up but if it doesn't you have back up topics to do? i don think that helps lol I'm so sorry!

Quick Reply

Latest