The Student Room Group

GCSE Results: Didn't do as well as you hoped? Advice here! 21 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Berninger1864
I got a D for maths. Do you guys think I'd be able to manage for A levels along with resit maths. (I barely remember anything from edexcel maths and my new school does OCR math) For A levels, I'm doing English Lit, History, Politics & philosophy. Any advice would help. Please and thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you find GCSE maths difficult? Or do you not know why you got a D? My sixth form only allow you to do maths if you got a B, I did GCSE further maths too, and I found that very challenging and that was barely scraping the surface of a-level. I suppose it depends how confident you feel with maths, perhaps look at some past papers or content for your exam board :smile:
Original post by supergeek2411
One of my two history teachers is an examiner marker! I dont think he was marking everyones mocks wrong! Yeah I was so pissed off and confused since i did better in english and even science than history! Do you know when the mark schemes come out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I believe teachers have access to mark schemes, however I believe it's a year usually for public access!
Reply 102
Original post by niamhelizabeth
I don't have a UMS listed at all? It just says D&T: Graphic Products 1: mark95 gradeb and that is definitely the CA part, as the max mark in the exam is 80.

The mark you have is your UMS mark - I'm afraid it's not a mistake. :no: It's most likely your mark was moderated down.

You can find an explanation for UMS here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administration/about-results/uniform-mark-scale/convert-marks-to-ums :smile:

Original post by dash52
I got 5A's and 3B's and I'm very disappointing as i hoped for A's in triple science which instead I got A,B,B(A in chemistry). I didn't revise thoroughly for the separate science units and our school did them in two months so I'm partly frustrated at my laziness. These are quiet mediocre grades compared to others and I fear that I've slimmed my chances at doing medicine at a Russel group university.

They're fine grades for Medicine - take a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_school_gcse_requirements

You'll want to apply wisely (i.e. avoid the ones that like loads of A*'s) but you should now concentrate on nailing your AS levels, Personal statement etc. :smile:

Original post by rolypoly1997
Hi guys,
So basically I was hoping to apply for medicine at Oxford University... But I don't know if I should after looking at my GCSE results..:/
I got:
Maths: A*
Chemistry: A*
Physics: A*
Latin:A*
Geography: A*
ICT: A*
English Lit: A
English Lang: A
French: A
Art: A
Biology: A

Do you guys think that I can still apply for Oxford for medicine with those grades?
I'm going to do Maths, Chemistry, Biology and Physics for A-level and am hoping to achieve A* in Maths (since I'm doing the whole of maths in one year) and AAA for the rest of the subjects.

Have a look here: http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Judging by that, tbh, your chances for Medicine at Oxford are very, very slim. The early A* in Maths isn't really that helpful for Oxford tbh. :no:

But your grades are amazing - you can still apply for Medicine and that's the most important thing. :smile:

Original post by Cookiemonsta13
I think I've already posted on this thread but i haven't had any help :frown: I'm really concerned whether my grades are good enough or not for Law at Oxford, UCL, KCL or Birmingham. I got 7As and 5Bs. Please help!

Oxford might be tough as you have no A*'s at GCSE but they're very good grades regardless - you should contact the uni's individually to see what they say (I suspect they should be fine for most, but Oxford may be a bit tough). :smile:

Original post by supergeek2411
Posted from TSR Mobile
A* B B B C C C C (was predicted A in history but got a C despite my coursework being A* , ocr are trying to tell me i got an E on the germany paper :smile: ?!?!?! Thats getting re-marked anyway)
I didnt really bother with GCSE because of being lazy and so on. Is it still possible to get on a half decent law/ law with german course at uni? I'm going to absolutely work my arse off during my A-levels. ( maths , history, psychology,german)

Absolutely - they're great grades. :smile:

Original post by iamabbie97
How long does it take for your new marks from a remark to come back? My school is contacting the exam board on Monday (OCR) to get it remarked, so when do you reckon it'll be back?

It usually takes about 2 weeks but it can vary. :smile:

Original post by sami10
Do I stand a chance of getting into medicine? I got:
Maths: A*
English Lang: B
English Lit: C
Biology: A
Chemistry: B
Physics: A
History: B
Geography: B
RE: B
Statistics: B
French: C
Further Maths: A (Level 2 Certificate) not sure if it counts?

Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_school_gcse_requirements

It's still possible, but you'll need to work hard with your AS levels/whatever you're doing next and apply wisely. :smile:

Original post by Berninger1864
I got a D for maths. Do you guys think I'd be able to manage for A levels along with resit maths. (I barely remember anything from edexcel maths and my new school does OCR math) For A levels, I'm doing English Lit, History, Politics & philosophy. Any advice would help. Please and thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is possible, you will need to work very, very hard. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
A*A* Double Science
A* Spanish
A* English Language
A History
A Maths
A Chinese
A Media Studies
A Global Perspectives
C P.E

Will these grades be good enough for Medicine?

I will be doing the IB programme in sixth form so will universities still check my GCSEs or is it already out of the equation?

Will my C for Physical Education hinder my chances??
Reply 104
hi everyone, first of all congrats to all of you :smile: i hope you are pleased.
I got in total
1 A*
3 As
7 B
3 Cs (trying to get it remarked)
I was wondering if i can still get into medicine ? I am so fustrated with my results and I fear for my future, I don't know what to do- who to vent to. My parents are disappointed as I am.
please help....
6 A*'s
5 A's
1 B

Good enough for medicine?
I completely disregarded the idea of Dentistry because I am not very clever.
I got 3 A*'s and 7 A's. Just wondering if i would have any chance at all??
Do universities know if you've retaken english language gcse during year 12?
Would it hinder my chances of getting into medical school?
I only got 2/10 GCSE's, I got a B in maths and a C in core science.. I don't know what to do...
The other 8 I failed were :

Additional Science: D
English Language: D
English Literature: F
Geography: G
ICT: U
Spanish: D
Design & Technology: E
RE: D

I have no idea what to do now because the sixth form I applied to didn't accept me an I have no where else to go.
Reply 109
Original post by justintsang
A*A* Double Science
A* Spanish
A* English Language
A History
A Maths
A Chinese
A Media Studies
A Global Perspectives
C P.E

Will these grades be good enough for Medicine?

I will be doing the IB programme in sixth form so will universities still check my GCSEs or is it already out of the equation?

Will my C for Physical Education hinder my chances??

Yep, they should be fine - have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:

You'll need to apply wisely though (for example, by avoiding Medical Schools that like seeing loads of A*'s at GCSE).

Original post by Ace16
hi everyone, first of all congrats to all of you :smile: i hope you are pleased.
I got in total
1 A*
3 As
7 B
3 Cs (trying to get it remarked)
I was wondering if i can still get into medicine ? I am so fustrated with my results and I fear for my future, I don't know what to do- who to vent to. My parents are disappointed as I am.
please help....

Have a look at the link I've posted above. What subjects was the C in? :smile:

It is still possible for you to do Medicine provided you meet the minimum entry requirements for some of the medical schools, but you'll need to apply wisely and work hard with your A-Levels etc. :smile:

Original post by Facilli
6 A*'s
5 A's
1 B

Good enough for medicine?

Yup - have a look at the link I posted above. :smile:

Original post by Marcusroye98
I completely disregarded the idea of Dentistry because I am not very clever.
I got 3 A*'s and 7 A's. Just wondering if i would have any chance at all??

They're fine for dentistry! Have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements

Original post by tomroberts12
Do universities know if you've retaken english language gcse during year 12?
Would it hinder my chances of getting into medical school?

They will, yes, as you will receive another certificate for it and you will have to declare both grades.

It may be best to contact specific Medical Schools to see what they say about retaking GCSEs in year 12. :smile:

Original post by Angel_SR
I only got 2/10 GCSE's, I got a B in maths and a C in core science.. I don't know what to do...
The other 8 I failed were :

Additional Science: D
English Language: D
English Literature: F
Geography: G
ICT: U
Spanish: D
Design & Technology: E
RE: D

I have no idea what to do now because the sixth form I applied to didn't accept me an I have no where else to go.

Have you considered retaking Year 11? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi, I got 5A's and 3B's for my gcse's
A's in:
Maths
English language
History
Science core
Chemistry

B's in:
English literature
Biology (5 ums off)
Physics (6 ums off)

I would like to resit Bio and Physics as I'm a medicine hopeful and I still think that it slims my chances. The fact that I have no a*s is disappointing in it self too. Is it worth retaking at a private center??
Reply 111
The Cs were in geography which am getting remarked, German and business studies
Original post by usycool1
Oxford might be tough as you have no A*'s at GCSE but they're very good grades regardless - you should contact the uni's individually to see what they say (I suspect they should be fine for most, but Oxford may be a bit tough). :smile:

Thanks for the help! Do you think if I did really well in my A-Levels and LNAT I might still have a shot with Oxford? I'll definitely contact the unis :smile:
hey guys, any advice would be appreciated.
I was hoping for better but i got:
English lang-B (2 UMS off an A, so i have sent it for remarking)
Enlish lit-A
Maths-A
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A
Geography-A*
Business-A*
Spanish-A
Music-C
RE-A*
Pe-Distinction*(i know btecs are nearly useless :tongue:)

So 4A*,5A,1B,1C and a distinction*.

Would i have a shot at medicine?
Reply 114
Original post by dash52
Hi, I got 5A's and 3B's for my gcse's
A's in:
Maths
English language
History
Science core
Chemistry

B's in:
English literature
Biology (5 ums off)
Physics (6 ums off)

I would like to resit Bio and Physics as I'm a medicine hopeful and I still think that it slims my chances. The fact that I have no a*s is disappointing in it self too. Is it worth retaking at a private center??

If you are studying in England, you will need to retake all the exams (excluding coursework/ISA's, as that can be carried forward from the previous exam season) so that's something to bear in mind as it may put burden on your A-Levels. :sadnod:

Original post by Cookiemonsta13
Thanks for the help! Do you think if I did really well in my A-Levels and LNAT I might still have a shot with Oxford? I'll definitely contact the unis :smile:

You are welcome. :smile:

I'm not entirely sure about Law at Oxford. It may be worth making a new thread in the Oxford forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14 to see what people there say. :smile:

Original post by whydoidothis?
hey guys, any advice would be appreciated.
I was hoping for better but i got:
English lang-B (2 UMS off an A, so i have sent it for remarking)
Enlish lit-A
Maths-A
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A
Physics-A
Geography-A*
Business-A*
Spanish-A
Music-C
RE-A*
Pe-Distinction*(i know btecs are nearly useless :tongue:)

So 4A*,5A,1B,1C and a distinction*.

Would i have a shot at medicine?

Yep, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:
I got my results but for my OCR maths exam (GCSE) i haven't received any marks or break down only a grade ( i got an A*) any idea why i haven't received any marks like i did for every other subject? Would really like to know my break down!
Reply 116
Original post by charlottec712
I got my results but for my OCR maths exam (GCSE) i haven't received any marks or break down only a grade ( i got an A*) any idea why i haven't received any marks like i did for every other subject? Would really like to know my break down!

You may be able to get them from your teacher. :smile:
Overall I did good enough to get into my sixth form as I needed B's in the subjects I wanted to take, but now I don't want to go to sixth form or college and I can't go get a full time job and leave education because of the government, so I don't know what to do, any ideas??
Original post by usycool1
If you are studying in England, you will need to retake all the exams (excluding coursework/ISA's, as that can be carried forward from the previous exam season) so that's something to bear in mind as it may put burden on your A-Levels. :sadnod:

You are welcome. :smile:

I'm not entirely sure about Law at Oxford. It may be worth making a new thread in the Oxford forum: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=14 to see what people there say. :smile:

Yep, have a look here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_GCSE_Requirements :smile:

My ISA's are at A*/A grade so im sure taking 6 units wont be much of a hassle. However are my gcse's as it is good enough for medicine?
Original post by Cola__Pop
Overall I did good enough to get into my sixth form as I needed B's in the subjects I wanted to take, but now I don't want to go to sixth form or college and I can't go get a full time job and leave education because of the government, so I don't know what to do, any ideas??

if i were you i would definitely look into some internships, its a good way to get experience and try out some jobs and see what interest you? With some internships you will get paid and it's allowed with the government!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest