The Student Room Group

Nose job on the NHS?

Before you write me off as vain/selfish please read

i have always hated my nose. It's wonky at the tip. I'm good looking otherwise but my nose ruins my face. It's not even a nice big nose. Like one with character. It's bulbous and wonky. It's starting to affect me. I used to be really confident about my looks but this is getting me down

I dont let people photograph me candidly and I won't let people see it from certain angles. Sometimes I don't even wanna leave my house because I feel it's disgusting.

The only solution is a nose job. I DO NOT have BDD because I'm able to recognise in nice looking aside from my hideous giant nose

My parents won't pay for a nose job which is fair, and I'm a student so can't afford it. If I have to spend the next 2 years with it I can't take it. I want to not be conscious of it

Will the NHS do anything? Considering they do boobs because "it affects women's confidence" I don't see how this is different? But I've heard they do not like nose jobs on the NHS

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Pic please.

Edit: and do what you like.. idk about the NHS thing though sorry :hugs:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Dinaa
Pic please.

I don't want to post pics just trust me when I say it's wonky
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I don't want to post pics just trust me when I say it's wonky

Fairs.. but you are anon and a crop of your nose can't be that bad :redface:

And also i edited my previous post :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Dinaa
Fairs.. but you are anon and a crop of your nose can't be that bad :redface:

And also i edited my previous post :smile:

Thank you :hugs:

I just don't wanna post it because it means I have to look at it. Lol
Reply 5
Bump
Reply 6
want it, pay for it yourself
Reply 7
Original post by iamu
want it, pay for it yourself

I can't at the moment and the thought of having to wait and have my hideous nose is awful. I don't even want to go outside.

Anyway your opinion doesn't matter, will they do it?
Reply 8
Why don't you ring up your local practice for advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why don't you just learn to live with it? I have a horrible nose but I don't go crying about it every two seconds.
Original post by JonnyD
Why don't you ring up your local practice for advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I might do this thank you

Original post by Holby_fanatic
Why don't you just learn to live with it? I have a horrible nose but I don't go crying about it every two seconds.

I'm glad for you. For me it really gets me down. I'm sorry you also feel your nose is bad but I'm glad it does not bother you
You're only going to feel self conscious about it if you let it affect you. No one is going to care if your nose is wonky unless it looks disturbing.

A lot of the time, people who have rhinoplasties purely for cosmetic reasons tend to still think their nose isn't perfect after having it. You're more likely to be judged for having a rhinoplasty because your nose wasn't an 'ideal' shape imo.
Original post by h3isenberg
You're only going to feel self conscious about it if you let it affect you. No one is going to care if your nose is wonky unless it looks disturbing.

A lot of the time, people who have rhinoplasties purely for cosmetic reasons tend to still think their nose isn't perfect after having it. You're more likely to be judged for having a rhinoplasty because your nose wasn't an 'ideal' shape imo.

I don't care if people judge me for having rhinoplasty - no one will even know other than people I choose to tell. I literally think it's ruining my life. Someone close to me is dying and it's made me realise I should do what I want while I'm here. I don't want to spend my life wishing for a better nose you know?
Reply 13
Will the NHS do anything? Well from what you outlined it is purely aesthetic reasons, so no.

To be considered for rhinoplasty on the NHS you must have a very strong medical case, for instance septoplasty to ease breathing difficulties, sinus problems resulting from your nose, congenital or hereditary defects, or tissue damage requiring reconstructive surgery.

Even if you was considered from reference by your GP (unlikely) you will then have to undergo psychological assessment. You will then have to be considered under strict rules governing whether you can undergo surgery, and whether reasons given for the improvement of your social, physical, and mental well being are enough to justify undergoing surgery.

In addition, if by considerable luck you manage to pass these criteria, then aesthetic surgeries are moved to the bottom of the list. Medical rhinoplasties have a waiting list of anything up to 18 months, so you could be expecting to wait 18-36 months once you have been considered for surgery - which can take several months in itself.
I can't at the moment and the thought of having to wait and have my hideous nose is awful. I don't even want to go outside.

Anyway your opinion doesn't matter, will they do it?

Loads of people are self concious of their bodies and they get on with their lives. It's pretty crappy using the NHS for cosmetic surgery without any medical benefits.

Contact your GP for advise, the thing is they may refer you to a therapist instead if you can't even leave your house. It's rare for people to get surgery on the NHS unless they have severe physiological or psychological problems.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm glad for you. For me it really gets me down. I'm sorry you also feel your nose is bad but I'm glad it does not bother you

Well then I suggest you find a way to deal with it or save up, because you're highly unlikely to get it done for free.
Original post by Holby_fanatic
Well then I suggest you find a way to deal with it or save up, because you're highly unlikely to get it done for free.

I can save up but the issue is I won't be able to get a finance plan till I'm no longer a student so it'll take my years

Original post by vee_wuvshugs
Loads of people are self concious of their bodies and they get on with their lives. It's pretty crappy using the NHS for cosmetic surgery without any medical benefits.

Contact your GP for advise, the thing is they may refer you to a therapist instead if you can't even leave your house. It's rare for people to get surgery on the NHS unless they have severe physiological or psychological problems.

Thanks. I don't see how it's any crappier than flat chested women getting their boobs done on the NHS? It genuinely causes me distress and severe anxiety.

I also have a slight deviated septum which makes it hard to breathe so there's that too.
Original post by LiamTSR
Will the NHS do anything? Well from what you outlined it is purely aesthetic reasons, so no.

To be considered for rhinoplasty on the NHS you must have a very strong medical case, for instance septoplasty to ease breathing difficulties, sinus problems resulting from your nose, congenital or hereditary defects, or tissue damage requiring reconstructive surgery.

Even if you was considered from reference by your GP (unlikely) you will then have to undergo psychological assessment. You will then have to be considered under strict rules governing whether you can undergo surgery, and whether reasons given for the improvement of your social, physical, and mental well being are enough to justify undergoing surgery.

In addition, if by considerable luck you manage to pass these criteria, then aesthetic surgeries are moved to the bottom of the list. Medical rhinoplasties have a waiting list of anything up to 18 months, so you could be expecting to wait 18-36 months once you have been considered for surgery - which can take several months in itself.

Thank you, this is very informative.

In 18 months I can probably pay for it myself, so it's not worth it I suppose. I was just wondering if I could get it done quicker because I really dislike it
I also have a slight deviated septum which makes it hard to breathe so there's that too.

Don't you think this is one of the first things you should have mentioned? :curious:
break it badly so they have to give you an op

Quick Reply

Latest