The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nadine_08
Yeah, the reason I'm getting new ones is because my other ones are leaving for various reasons. School gives me a lot of structure too and it gets me into the mode of revising. This holiday I planned to revise for the subjects that need revision but I just couldn't at all and I feel bad now:frown:

I wasn't planning to revise this holiday anyway, my mocks are on w/c 17th November, so I'm going to start doing a little bit of revision at the start of October, and build it up. For the real thing I'll probs start around February half term, or a bit earlier.
Original post by evekip
Yeah, some kind of PE/RS is made compulsory for everyone right? And I know the feeling of being doomed haha, experienced that quite often with maths...

And what stationery have people been buying? I never buy anything new lol I just tend to screb it off other people/from around my house, but I've actually had a WHSmith voucher all summer from getting a prize for business studies, so I might actually get some this year. :')

And no, I've not had to do the ice bucket challenge yet... Two of my close friends were nominated yesterday though, so I wouldn't be surprised if I get nominated soon. Sob.

I have an addiction to buying stationary so I've got a pencil case, pens, jotter etc :colone:
I got 6 prizes this year (5 subject prizes and a "commendation" prize) and they just started giving us love2shop vouchers instead of whsmith ones, and I've got £50 worth left and I don't really have anything I want to buy :biggrin:
Reply 603
Original post by Martie08
I have an addiction to buying stationary so I've got a pencil case, pens, jotter etc :colone:
I got 6 prizes this year (5 subject prizes and a "commendation" prize) and they just started giving us love2shop vouchers instead of whsmith ones, and I've got £50 worth left and I don't really have anything I want to buy :biggrin:

You don't understand my jealousy right now, if I had that much in those it'd be gone within a week on clothes! :'D We're limited to one prize per person (except attendance which is done separately, but I can never get full attendance bc of hospital and orthodontist appointments...), and it's the awkward WHSmiths vouchers where depending on who the cashier is, they're picky about what you buy. :|

But I might see if I can pick up some cheap notebooks, since I like them for doing revision notes/mind maps in and I've just been using exercise books from school this year. :P I love the stationery from Paperchase though, their stuff is all so cute. :smile:
Original post by evekip
You don't understand my jealousy right now, if I had that much in those it'd be gone within a week on clothes! :'D We're limited to one prize per person (except attendance which is done separately, but I can never get full attendance bc of hospital and orthodontist appointments...), and it's the awkward WHSmiths vouchers where depending on who the cashier is, they're picky about what you buy. :|

But I might see if I can pick up some cheap notebooks, since I like them for doing revision notes/mind maps in and I've just been using exercise books from school this year. :P I love the stationery from Paperchase though, their stuff is all so cute. :smile:

Everyone was saying they should limit prizes this year because some, like me, got 5+ and some didn't get any. But to be honest I think if you've earnt them there isn't really a problem. How do they decide which prize you get? Because what if more than one subject wants to give you a prize, how do they decide which subject you get it in?
I know - I sometimes used to manage to get an amazon voucher with WHsmith vouchers (we had them until this year) but some of them didn't let you because you're technically not allowed... :biggrin: Paperchase is so cute! But expensive. :frown:
Original post by Archaeologist
The day after yours? You got all your stationery?

Yes, I have :smile:
Reply 606
Everyone was saying they should limit prizes this year because some, like me, got 5+ and some didn't get any. But to be honest I think if you've earnt them there isn't really a problem. How do they decide which prize you get? Because what if more than one subject wants to give you a prize, how do they decide which subject you get it in?
I know - I sometimes used to manage to get an amazon voucher with WHsmith vouchers (we had them until this year) but some of them didn't let you because you're technically not allowed... :biggrin: Paperchase is so cute! But expensive. :frown:

Yeah, I agree to some extent about not limiting the awards, but then from the school's point of view the rewards are meant to motivate people, and the more motivated the better. :P

I'm not entirely sure to be honest, we receive a separate certificate with all our nominations, so we know what we've been considered to get a prize for, but apart from that it's a mystery haha. We have effort awards too for the most improved students.

And yeah, one of my mates had two left over from last year a few weeks ago and bought a load of bouncy toy eggs with them, since the cashier didn't care, but before they haven't let me buy a magazine with it. Which is dumb - all reading counts, right? I prefer ebooks. :\

I live for Paperchase sales though! When they're getting rid of one of the old designs is so good since you get matching stuff cheap. (I love stuff like the bento boxes for lunch boxes) :smile:
I wasn't planning to revise this holiday anyway, my mocks are on w/c 17th November, so I'm going to start doing a little bit of revision at the start of October, and build it up. For the real thing I'll probs start around February half term, or a bit earlier.

Yeah I'm just worried about not having enough time to revise as much as I want to for each subject. Especially physics and maths. I really want a B in maths and for physics we've had so many bad teachers that we haven't learnt anything from, so my whole class basically needs to catch up and do their own revision for P1 and 2.
I think for the real exams I may start around Feb....anyone know how many exams they will have? I think I have 40 something :frown:
Original post by sunday_morning
Looking back at the school year things have gone really fast for me but when I think about some recent situations outside of school they feel like longer ago than they really were. :smile:

Mine didn't, we all did Welsh from year 1/2 though.

I'm a slow reader, I always get distracted. :biggrin: Are you enjoying the Sherlock book/books? :smile: How were results for you?

Ahhh right.

Yes, they're really good. I have recently become a Sherlock fan, do you know the books?.

I did OK. I was really happy with my Science result :smile: I got an A* in Core Science, A in English Literature and a B in IGCSE French.

Original post by sunday_morning
My results:
A* Welsh
A* Geography
B English lit

I have so many exams next year though.

Those are fantastic grades, well done.
Original post by Gilo98
I think for the real exams I may start around Feb....anyone know how many exams they will have? I think I have 40 something :frown:

40?! I have 22. I'm doing 11 GCSEs at the end of next year.
40?! I have 22. I'm doing 11 GCSEs at the end of next year.

Ahaha lucky...I have all the exams for all 11 GCSE's and then A2 Maths and AS Creative Writing :frown: I don't even know why theres so many :///
Original post by Gilo98

In February? Isn't that really early?
Original post by NathalieGW
In February? Isn't that really early?

Yep but I'll have quite a lot of exams to prepare for :yep: What about you?
Reply 614
Original post by Nadine_08
Yeah I'm just worried about not having enough time to revise as much as I want to for each subject. Especially physics and maths. I really want a B in maths and for physics we've had so many bad teachers that we haven't learnt anything from, so my whole class basically needs to catch up and do their own revision for P1 and 2.

I'm in a similar position with maths, not really down to having a bad teacher, but more because I'm nowhere near as quick to pick up stuff as the others in my class, so I had been getting behind quickly. :s

I'm starting a course which is meant to be an equivalent to AS maths this year at the college I'm going to, but is a lot like the higher maths so hopefully that should help, but apart from that I'd say just start as early as possible and try and do half an hour a night, and work your way through the different pages in a revision guide/proper thick question book, finding questions on the internet to do too.

Some people say past papers work better, but the above method's been working better for me. I suppose past papers work better if you're reinforcing knowledge you have already rather than trying to learn stuff you don't. :smile:

Original post by Gilo98

Damn, that's a lot! I'm not sure how many which is slightly concerning; after a quick count I reckon I'm taking 10 GCSEs, plus a BTEC and functional skills ICT, but I'm not sure how many exams per subject. :/ Also, are english lang. and lit. counted as separate and core and additional science? It is quite worrying how little I know about the courses I'm taking haha!

I'll probably start revising/learning maths and spanish (my two worst) in October, but that's more studying than revising, not much different than what I started doing around May this year since I realised I need to get my **** together. For other subjects, probably January, but again, I don't really do hardcore revision (I have a short attention span haha), so it'll just be little and often. :P
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by evekip
I'm in a similar position with maths, not really down to having a bad teacher, but more because I'm nowhere near as quick to pick up stuff as the others in my class, so I had been getting behind quickly. :s

I'm starting a course which is meant to be an equivalent to AS maths this year at the college I'm going to, but is a lot like the higher maths so hopefully that should help, but apart from that I'd say just start as early as possible and try and do half an hour a night, and work your way through the different pages in a revision guide/proper thick question book, finding questions on the internet to do too.

Some people say past papers work better, but the above method's been working better for me. I suppose past papers work better if you're reinforcing knowledge you have already rather than trying to learn stuff you don't. :smile:

Damn, that's a lot! I'm not sure how many which is slightly concerning; after a quick count I reckon I'm taking 10 GCSEs, plus a BTEC and functional skills ICT, but I'm not sure how many exams per subject. :/ Also, are english lang. and lit. counted as separate and core and additional science? It is quite worrying how little I know about the courses I'm taking haha!

ahaha i wouldn't worry....some of the exams have cross over topics, especially the sciences :smile: tbh Im now a bit sceptical because this was number my school quoted me so maybe they were just trying to scare us all :dontknow:
So I've checked my exam boards after seeing that everyone else has like 20 exams and it turns out my school got it wrong - i should be having 27 exams all together :borat:
Original post by Gilo98
So I've checked my exam boards after seeing that everyone else has like 20 exams and it turns out my school got it wrong - i should be having 27 exams all together :borat:

Ha, that's more reasonable!!
Ha, that's more reasonable!!

I got proper worried for a minute there!! :cry:

Latest