The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by omid123
Yeah Ill do that, Hopefully they do I want to compete against other unis

http://www.kentunion.co.uk/sports/7261/

looks promising
Reply 5701
Anyone starting at University this Autumn who is a Boxing enthusiast and wants to continue with his/her chosen sport whilst at University?
Reply 5702
Original post by omid123
Yeah Ill do that, Hopefully they do I want to compete against other unis

Have a look at the UKC Boxing Club page on Facebook.
Or contact Joe Gaymer (Club Secretary) directly ......
Reply 5703
Original post by e aí rapaz
It really depends greatly on the individual uni, so you're better off asking Kent Uni specifically. I boxed at uni but at mine they never competed in BUCS stuff or uni comps because they didn't have the club set up formally. So all my bouts were through the non-uni club I was at and I just trained/sparred at uni once or twice a week.

But I knew some people from other unis that had good setups and decent coaches and had their boys all carded and everything (UCL I think it was that had a good set up).

So yeah. Better off asking Kent directly or people who go there.

You don't need a University Boxing Club to be set up "formally" to enter the BUCS annual national student Boxing Championships!
Reply 5704
Original post by omid123
Thanks buddy, I will check it out now! I cant wait to box at uni My goal is to become University champion!!

www.bucs.org.uk
Original post by Amabox
You don't need a University Boxing Club to be set up "formally" to enter the BUCS annual national student Boxing Championships!

I'm pretty sure you need to be aba affiliated don't you?

If not, then you're presumably chucking students into the BUCS champs when they've never competitively boxed before?
Reply 5706
As long as you are a student in full~time higher education at a University which is affiliated to BUCS (which, as far as I know, they all are!) and as long as you hold a valid Boxing England Medical Record Card ("ME3") and have had at least two previous competitive bouts then you are eligible to enter the annual BUCS national student boxing championships.
Original post by Amabox
As long as you are a student in full~time higher education at a University which is affiliated to BUCS (which, as far as I know, they all are!) and as long as you hold a valid Boxing England Medical Record Card ("ME3") and have had at least two previous competitive bouts then you are eligible to enter the annual BUCS national student boxing championships.

yeah but what i'm saying is how do your boys get previous bouts? I've only ever actually boxed as part of an ABC so I dunno how it works with uni students but don't they (or their coach) have their record card from the ABA?
Reply 5708
The ABA/Boxing England actually ran a competition called the English University Boxing Series ("EUBS") specifically to allow unboxed students to get the two bouts on their Medical Record Cards that they needed to enter BUCS. Otherwise they can always compete out on the local, inter~club circuit
Original post by omid123
I fight semi-pro in boxing and have just been accepted to Kent uni. Anyone here competed in boxing for their respective universities?

Yeah bruh, the British Universities Championships, there's also English Championships. Depending on the Uni you might have more competitions, for example Portsmouth University hold their own Boxing shows and also travel a lot, they're one of the most active club.

I go to Kingston Uni, got Silver in the British last season. What weight are you? Might catch in Championships this season haha. Also, are you ABA registered?
(edited 9 years ago)
Man, it's been a while since Martinez lost his middleweight belt and I'm still sad asf! After his career demise I want to see GG claiming the division outright, a fight with Cotto surely has to happen so he can unify the division.

The Welterweight division is the most exciting division atm in my opinion, a lot of good fighters. I especially like Keith Thurman, but yet again boxing politics is getting in the way of good match making.

I am tired of hearing about Al Haymon and Golden Boy fighters, tired of hearing about ShowTime and HBO fighters. I just want to see good fights.

Ooh yeah and I'm tired of Danny Garcia fighting bums too.

Boxing is a shambles at the moment.
(edited 9 years ago)
When is pro boxing ever not a shambles?
Original post by e aí rapaz
When is pro boxing ever not a shambles?

True, but the Golden Era in my opinion was the 80s to mid 90s.
Original post by omid123
hey buddy I am an unlicensed boxer... i fight 72 kg. Cant wait to fight for uni

Klkl, having boxed in white collar and ABA I prefer ABA's tbh .. especially if you're looking to become a ranked amateur.

Lool you're not in my weight then, I'm at 57 or 60 this year.
I studied at Kent. I used to box for Dagenham ABC but didn't compete at uni, I wanted to try something new and went into a different sport instead. I did go to a few of their sessions though and it's well run, you will enjoy it.
Reply 5715
So far as I know - and I've been around student Boxing for some thirty years - there has never been any such thing as a "British" students' Amateur Boxing Championships.
Any big fights coming up?

I think the next big fight is FM v Maidana?

The big names have all recently had fights.. :frown:

Wlad pulled out of his fight due to do injury a couple days ago :frown:
Reply 5717
Original post by Tokyoround
I studied at Kent. I used to box for Dagenham ABC but didn't compete at uni, I wanted to try something new and went into a different sport instead. I did go to a few of their sessions though and it's well run, you will enjoy it.

So a UK Universities' National Boxing title was yours for the asking, and you took up another sport instead! Let me guess - a noncontact team sport such as Basketball?
Original post by Amabox
So a UK Universities' National Boxing title was yours for the asking, and you took up another sport instead! Let me guess - a noncontact team sport such as Basketball?

No, American Football. Running at people at hitting them as hard possible was more appealing at the time. I had no interest in competing at university level, I had already fought in national JABA (I don't think it's called this anymore but whatever) and in the US, I wanted something different and never saw boxing as a career. Good for you though, I'm sure you'll enjoy the opportunity.
American Football is ****ing fun to play. Good choice. It's fun to play as part of a team too - after boxing for years you can miss that. Boxing's a lonely sport

Latest