The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fizzel
Yeah but he was supposed to have a scan today to give a more accurate prediction.

Which leads me nicely on to this...
http://news.arseblog.com/2014/08/giroud-may-have-broken-foot-faces-3-months-out/

Merde.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
I don't see it happening

It's only weeks. Wenger will rely on Sanchez Walcott and Campbell IMO (though id rather get a striker)

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's incompetence if it doesn't happen really, no one of good quality to price ratio is available anymore. I don't think wenger trusts Campbell at all, so really we have Sanchez up top only. Hopefully wenger knows that's just a stupid idea by going in to a season like that.

I'm basing this on giroud being out long term, if he's out for less than a week then he won't buy anyone.
Original post by AR_95
Source?

He isn't going to buy a striker because he thinks he needs to fill 6 weeks btw]

He's out for 3 months according to the Telegraph. I don't see you signing a replacement, simply because there is nobody available. Mandzukic, Costa & Balotelli have all moved, Remy wouldn't pass a medical, Falcao is Real Madrid bound, Cavani won't be sold now Zlatan is injured and they've missed out on Di Maria. Who does that even leave?

Funnily enough Welbeck or Hernandez would be perfect for Arsenal. Both of them are seemingly available for transfer, there's no chance we'd sell either of them to you after the Vermaelen saga though.
Original post by sr90
He's out for 3 months according to the Telegraph. I don't see you signing a replacement, simply because there is nobody available. Mandzukic, Costa & Balotelli have all moved, Remy wouldn't pass a medical, Falcao is Real Madrid bound, Cavani won't be sold now Zlatan is injured and they've missed out on Di Maria. Who does that even leave?

Funnily enough Welbeck or Hernandez would be perfect for Arsenal. Both of them are seemingly available for transfer, there's no chance we'd sell either of them to you after the Vermaelen saga though.

That telegraph article cites no decent sources...there has been no mention of a broken ankle by Wenger or anyone to do with the club.

I doubt we'd buy a striker if Giroud was out for 12 months tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pete_91
That telegraph article sites no sources...there has been no mention of a broken ankle by Wenger or anyone to do with the club.

I doubt we'd buy a striker if Giroud was out for 12 months tbh.

Idk what they're like for Arsenal news but the Telegraph always break Man United news before it's announced by the club, especially when it comes to injuries. There are few sources I trust more.

Do you think Campbell or Sanogo can step up? Or even playing someone like Podolski or Sanchez up top?
If no striker is signed, I don't want any bs from Wenger saying none were available given Mandzukic and then Balotelli could have been bought.

We should go all out for Falcao, but the chances of that happening are really slim.
Reply 5686
Original post by sr90

Names/players always pop out of no where during the last run of the window so I'm more worried about whether Wenger would actually move for a striker in the first place, opposed to finding one

My biggest regret of this window is not signing Mandzukic. Ideally he'd be perfect for us and was such a bargain
Original post by sr90
Idk what they're like for Arsenal news but the Telegraph always break Man United news before it's announced by the club, especially when it comes to injuries. There are few sources I trust more.

Do you think Campbell or Sanogo can step up? Or even playing someone like Podolski or Sanchez up top?

Telegraph can be hit and miss, generally accurate though. I'm seeing lots of twitter noise about the 3 months so maybe you are right.

Not convinced by any of the makeshift strikers we've attempted recently or in the past (walcott). I might go with this line up for the time being:

Campbell/Poldi/Ox - Sanchez - Walcott/Ox
Ozil
Flamini - Ramsey

Ox for Walcott until he's fit.

We're looking pretty threadbare already and we're three games into the season ffs...
(edited 9 years ago)
kind of happy with striker injuries if it means wenger buys someone new

But I fear what it will actually do is pursuade him to not sell podolski instead..

Hmm..

Trying to stay calm, but not long of the window left.

Just hoping all that we are waiting for is CL qualification, then signings will slot into place
Someone on Goonersworld:

"Sanogo up front for three months. Incredible banter from Arsene."

That guy clearly forgot he's injured...

guys...

...where's Bendtner?
Sanogo could possibly do the job tbh. I think last game showed Giroud's main importance was that he provides the focal point. He holds the ball up, and brings others into play with his little flicks and what not. If you've got Sanogo with Sanchez Ozil Walcott (back soon right?) behind, plus Ramsay's goalscoring. If he can bring them into the game you've got plenty of goals to come from behind him.

Is pretty crazy you have this problem in a summer where Balo, Lukaku, Mandzukic have all been available. That considered and the fact Wenger has bought Sanchez for that kind of money and played him there, perhaps he'll simply persist with the plan.
Original post by junaid95
If no striker is signed, I don't want any bs from Wenger saying none were available given Mandzukic and then Balotelli could have been bought.

We should go all out for Falcao, but the chances of that happening are really slim.

okay mate go on:

list me the available strikers out there on the market, who are an improvement to giroud, affordable and can play that lone striker role.

plz none of this remy or mandzukic nonsense.

i'm genuinely interested who you have in mind.

thanks.
Real shame about Giroud. 30 goals is a bit for a stretch now I think
Chuba up front on Wednesday? :K:
Original post by Basiji
okay mate go on:

list me the available strikers out there on the market, who are an improvement to giroud, affordable and can play that lone striker role.

thanks.

Except Mandzukic satisfied all of your criteria, absolute tragedy we didn't get him.
Reply 5695
Original post by Basiji
okay mate go on:

thanks.

In fairness Mandzukic would have been an upgrade
Original post by Basiji
okay mate go on:

thanks.

"Mandzukic nonsense" :biggrin:

He would've been an upgrade, and he was available. Wenger dun goofed
Original post by Pete_91
Except Mandzukic satisfied all of your criteria, absolute tragedy we didn't get him.

mandzukic is a marginal, very marginal upgrade to giroud.
Original post by Basiji
okay mate go on:

thanks.

Mandzukic, Diego Costa, Balotelli and Immobile were all available in this window. All better than Giroud.
Reply 5699
Think we're likely to play 4-3-3 on Wednesday

Latest