The Student Room Group

I need help.

Basically I had my hopes set to do Maths in Uni.
At GCSE I got an A and apparently it wasn't good enough to do Maths at my orignal school. Also the head of the department said that I would just achieve a U so there was no point. I moved to another school and they accepted me to do maths, although I had my concerns from what the head from my old school said. I was predicted a B but then came reaults day and I ended up with a low grade. I was on the AQA board, I'm not sure what happened or why I dropped so low now. Now I don't know what to do, I feel like I won't get accepted obviously due to my grade and I have no idea what to do about personal statements or whatnot since I created one specifically for maths and all my work experience is gone to waste now. Should I resit and still go and submit my maths orientated statement or just stop.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
There is no problem retaking the exam if you feel you just had a bad year or bad exam. But you could always redo your AS exam year with different subjects and just start a new personal statement
Original post by chem@uni
There is no problem retaking the exam if you feel you just had a bad year or bad exam. But you could always redo your AS exam year with different subjects and just start a new personal statement

It was an awful exam, but the problem is my maths department are just not the nicest or the most considerate people on earth so I doubt they would let me resit just core 1 and core2. And I honestly have no interest in any other subject which is the issue, so I don't know what to do.
What were you getting in mock exams? If you really were on track for a B and you were just thrown by exam day, it would be worth looking into colleges nearby if your current school won't let you retake there. It would also probably be best to leave off applying until after your A2s when you have your grades in hand.
However, if you didn't do well because you were genuinely struggling then maths just might not be the course for you. It gets harder at A2 and harder still at uni. What aspects of maths do you enjoy the most? There are quite a few courses with mathematical elements that might accept you with a lower grade in maths (though you'd likely still need to retake).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bluebeetle
What were you getting in mock exams? If you really were on track for a B and you were just thrown by exam day, it would be worth looking into colleges nearby if your current school won't let you retake there. It would also probably be best to leave off applying until after your A2s when you have your grades in hand.
However, if you didn't do well because you were genuinely struggling then maths just might not be the course for you. It gets harder at A2 and harder still at uni. What aspects of maths do you enjoy the most? There are quite a few courses with mathematical elements that might accept you with a lower grade in maths (though you'd likely still need to retake).

Posted from TSR Mobile

In my mocks I got As and Bs so I didn't know how a fell so low to an E. I'll try asking the college, today. I enjoy all apsects of pure maths, I'm not a fan of applied maths. I wanted to do crytography in uni as well because I've always been interested in that and I have based my EPQ on maths so I can changed that now since I've put all my research into it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Anonokay
Basically I had my hopes set to do Maths in Uni.
At GCSE I got an A and apparently it wasn't good enough to do Maths at my orignal school. Also the head of the department said that I would just achieve a U so there was no point. I moved to another school and they accepted me to do maths, although I had my concerns from what the head from my old school said. I was predicted a B but then came reaults day and I ended up with an E. I was on the AQA board, I'm not sure what happened or why I dropped so low now. Now I don't know what to do, I feel like I won't get accepted obviously due to my grade and I have no idea what to do about personal statements or whatnot since I created one specifically for maths and all my work experience is gone to waste now. Should I resit and still go and submit my maths orientated statement or just stop.

These are your options from my point of view:

1) Apply for Maths with Foundation year, instead of resitting you can just take an extra year at Uni - the offer is usually 120 UCAS points, which is 3 A-Levels at grade E I believe (minimum). If you pass your foundation year then you join the course like everyone else, it's a life saver.

2) Apply for an HND/HNC course, these are 2 years instead of 3, but if you do well you can be transferred to the normal degree. The offer on these are only 80 UCAS points, but you'll be studying with the Maths degree people. So you don't lose anything, just have to prove yourself. The two years are the first two years of a Maths degree. Basically if you work hard you are just doing Maths degree like everyone else.

3) Resit college and work really really hard :/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Byakko
These are your options from my point of view:

1) Apply for Maths with Foundation year, instead of resitting you can just take an extra year at Uni - the offer is usually 120 UCAS points, which is 3 A-Levels at grade E I believe (minimum). If you pass your foundation year then you join the course like everyone else, it's a life saver.

2) Apply for an HND/HNC course, these are 2 years instead of 3, but if you do well you can be transferred to the normal degree. The offer on these are only 80 UCAS points, but you'll be studying with the Maths degree people. So you don't lose anything, just have to prove yourself. The two years are the first two years of a Maths degree. Basically if you work hard you are just doing Maths degree like everyone else.

3) Resit college and work really really hard :/

I only need to resut two units which is fine since A2 would help me push up the grade. Also I got a B in further Maths so would that do anything to show I am capable? I might apply for a foundation course as a back up. Don't really want to do the HND, it just sounds like a waste to me. But yeah thanks :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might be worth looking at foundation courses, although you must check with the specific uni as to there entry requirements - some foundation courses are for people who didn't study the right A-Levels or are returning to education ect.

As a side note I'm also on the AQA board for Mathematics along with the 17 other people in my Maths group. About half of the group failed (U grade), whilst only 5 obtained A-C grades. All year long the teachers have told us how no-one had failed maths at our sixth form for 6 years. I was predicted an A and received a mid D, so I totally understand your predicament.

Good Luck!
Original post by HollieAMarie
It might be worth looking at foundation courses, although you must check with the specific uni as to there entry requirements - some foundation courses are for people who didn't study the right A-Levels or are returning to education ect.

As a side note I'm also on the AQA board for Mathematics along with the 17 other people in my Maths group. About half of the group failed (U grade), whilst only 5 obtained A-C grades. All year long the teachers have told us how no-one had failed maths at our sixth form for 6 years. I was predicted an A and received a mid D, so I totally understand your predicament.

Good Luck!

Thanks! Literally no one in class got an A
The highest was a low B. I hate AQA so much for messing the grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! Literally no one in class got an A
The highest was a low B. I hate AQA so much for messing the grades.

It was absolutely ridiculous. 2 people got A's in my group, both take further maths - so were aided by this. Frankly, my D in maths nearly screwed up all my future plans, however I've found a way to still go into the career I want.
Which applied unit did you sit, by the way, I sat Statistics 1?
It was absolutely ridiculous. 2 people got A's in my group, both take further maths - so were aided by this. Frankly, my D in maths nearly screwed up all my future plans, however I've found a way to still go into the career I want.
Which applied unit did you sit, by the way, I sat Statistics 1?

Oh what career do you want to do?
Well I did all three applied units because I did further maths
Statistics was ridiculous.
Decision was pathetic
And mechanics seemed to be the decent one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh what career do you want to do?
Well I did all three applied units because I did further maths
Statistics was ridiculous.
Decision was pathetic
And mechanics seemed to be the decent one

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to teach physics at secondary level. Ah, see I found Stats easy but only came out with a C in the exam. I thought I'd done much better than that, in fact I was relying on finding the stats exam easier than than the others to boost my grade. Very disappointing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I want to teach physics at secondary level. Ah, see I found Stats easy but only came out with a C in the exam. I thought I'd done much better than that, in fact I was relying on finding the stats exam easier than than the others to boost my grade. Very disappointing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was in the same boat, I thought stats was quite easy but came out with a low grade

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest