The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Latin

Hello out there!
I'm a mature student studying Latin independently.
Any help resources from past students would be gratefully received.
I'm doing the sallust option for prose.
Ta
Silversue:tongue:
Reply 1
Original post by silversue
Hello out there!
I'm a mature student studying Latin independently.
Any help resources from past students would be gratefully received.
I'm doing the sallust option for prose.
Ta
Silversue:tongue:

For the Sallust, get yourself a Classical Workbook. Running vocabulary, some good commentary notes at the side, and a verbatim translation at the end of the whole thing.

In terms of language, I assume you've got a copy of John Taylor's Latin Beyond GCSE? If not, get one - good verse vocab list at the back and plenty of practice exercises you can do. Don't know if you're doing prose comp or the Livy so can't really make a recommendation for a prose comp book unless it's useful to you.

Do you need anything for the verse set text? Virgil or Propertius? (assuming you're sitting it in 2015, which you must be otherwise you wouldn't be doing Sallust...)
Reply 2
Original post by BluWacky
For the Sallust, get yourself a Classical Workbook. Running vocabulary, some good commentary notes at the side, and a verbatim translation at the end of the whole thing.

In terms of language, I assume you've got a copy of John Taylor's Latin Beyond GCSE? If not, get one - good verse vocab list at the back and plenty of practice exercises you can do. Don't know if you're doing prose comp or the Livy so can't really make a recommendation for a prose comp book unless it's useful to you.

Do you need anything for the verse set text? Virgil or Propertius? (assuming you're sitting it in 2015, which you must be otherwise you wouldn't be doing Sallust...)

Thanks, I shall get the work book. I have JT + answers. I'm doing Livy and Virgil.
You are a *
Reply 3
Thanks, I shall get the work book. I have JT + answers. I'm doing Livy and Virgil.
You are a *

I'm struggling with style points for Sallust.
Any resources out there , please.
I'm struggling with style points for Sallust.
Any resources out there , please.

I'm doing the Livy, so I don't know about a good commentary for Sallust.
But a quick google search revealed these videos, which you might have already seen. Also this would be very useful.
Alternatively, you may wish to consider getting a tutor.
Reply 5
Thanks, flopsy......I don't know how I missed those video resources, i have the book.. I'm doing Livy too as the 'unseen' .
Best wishes, silversue
Anyone sitting the exam on Friday 12th June? latin verse
Reply 7
Yep. Aah!
Yep. Aah!

How are you feeling about it? Got any predictions for the Literature questions? I'm studying Propertius
Reply 9
Original post by memoona123456
How are you feeling about it? Got any predictions for the Literature questions? I'm studying Propertius

I'm not, I'm doing Sallust and Virgil plus Ovid. I love V but find Sallust hard going. Anything though is better than the 'unseen' Livy, boring wars ; slaughter , list of battles and numbers...yawn..No idea what will come up, there's just too much of it.....
it's in the lap of the gods, well examiners....
All be over soon then I can have a ritual dumping of paper in the green bin..

Quick Reply

Latest