The Student Room Group

Why is my laptop not suitable for gaming?

Machine name: HP
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.15
Processor: AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7366MB RAM
Page File: 8743MB used, 6046MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

I would consider my RAM to be good, but in comp gaming I only get 70fps max which is rubbish. I can't even get 125 constant or reach 250, basically any sweet spot. Also the 70fps is not fixed.

Is it my graphics card? I know the ATI Mobility Radeon are all **** so is that my problem. I had a better graphics card on my other laptop but only 3GB of RAM - but since the hard drive failed I have since been using this one.

Any advice?

If I am right in thinking that it is the graphics card, can I make any adjustments with my laptop - iirc laptops have built-in graphics card so I am not sure if it would be fruitful or even feasible to try and replace it.

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by xNcDianna
Machine name: HP
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600) (9600.winblue_gdr.140330-1035)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC
BIOS: F.15
Processor: AMD A8-4555M APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs), ~1.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 7366MB RAM
Page File: 8743MB used, 6046MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

I would consider my RAM to be good, but in comp gaming I only get 70fps max which is rubbish. I can't even get 125 constant or reach 250, basically any sweet spot. Also the 70fps is not fixed.

Is it my graphics card? I know the ATI Mobility Radeon are all **** so is that my problem. I had a better graphics card on my other laptop but only 3GB of RAM - but since the hard drive failed I have since been using this one.

Any advice?

If I am right in thinking that it is the graphics card, can I make any adjustments with my laptop - iirc laptops have built-in graphics card so I am not sure if it would be fruitful or even feasible to try and replace it.

Thanks!

Yeah this is not a good laptop for gaming. I have one with intel core i5 processor and Radeon Hd 3000 or something and it runs some stuff but not other stuff :P
Reply 2
Original post by King Max
Yeah this is not a good laptop for gaming. I have one with intel core i5 processor and Radeon Hd 3000 or something and it runs some stuff but not other stuff :P

I figured that much :P

I'm apprehensive about buying/building a computer since I move around a lot, will have to see. I guess.

So is my processor bad too then?
I figured that much :P

I'm apprehensive about buying/building a computer since I move around a lot, will have to see. I guess.

So is my processor bad too then?

Its a lower market processor :/
It's because you don't have a graphics card at all, the graphics processing is integrated into your processor which isn't ideal. However I think the AMD APU processors are some of the better integrated solutions but it's still much better to have a seperate card.

RAM does nothing for games, you either have enough RAM or you don't. 8gb is more than enough.

All you need is 60fps anyway, your screen will probably be 60hz so you don't need more than 60fps.

All you can do is buy a better laptop with a dedicated GPU if you want more performance.
You might be able to get an external gpu actually but i don't know anything about them.
Reply 6
Original post by King Max
Its a lower market processor :/

Right thanks.

Original post by RoundTrip
It's because you don't have a graphics card at all, the graphics processing is integrated into your processor which isn't ideal. However I think the AMD APU processors are some of the better integrated solutions but it's still much better to have a seperate card.

RAM does nothing for games, you either have enough RAM or you don't. 8gb is more than enough.

All you need is 60fps anyway, your screen will probably be 60hz so you don't need more than 60fps.

All you can do is buy a better laptop with a dedicated GPU if you want more performance.

Well yeah you are right with the RAM.

Not really 60fps is awful to play on most games unless its CS.

Could you give me a ballpark of how much it would cost to buy a decent (250fps constant) computer/laptop please :smile:
Right thanks.

Well yeah you are right with the RAM.

Not really 60fps is awful to play on most games unless its CS.

Could you give me a ballpark of how much it would cost to buy a decent (250fps constant) computer/laptop please :smile:

Most people play PC games at 60fps even on powerful desktops. The only reason to go higher is if they have a 120hz monitor and they will play at 120fps. Most people use Vsync to lock the framerate to 60 even if theyre computers are capable of more. If your running 120fps on 60hz the screen tears and it looks awful.

You will never have 250fps constant on all games unless your playing CS 1.6/source or other old games or spend £2000 on 4 graphics cards and build an insane desktop. There probably isn't a laptop out there that will do all games at 250fps.
Reply 8
How would a Mac Pro fully specced out fair?
Original post by godd
How would a Mac Pro fully specced out fair?

The graphics card you can spec it with is alright. However for the same price you could configure a gaming laptop that would absolutely DESTROY it.
Reply 10
You're running a low-end processor with an integrated GPU.

You probably don't want to be looking at 250fps as, so far, there isn't a desktop out there that can do that at a reasonable resolution - never mind a laptop! 60fps is more reasonable. You're maybe looking at £500 for a mid-range laptop with a middle-of-the-road discrete GPU?

Good luck. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Most people play PC games at 60fps even on powerful desktops. The only reason to go higher is if they have a 120hz monitor and they will play at 120fps. Most people use Vsync to lock the framerate to 60 even if theyre computers are capable of more. If your running 120fps on 60hz the screen tears and it looks awful.

You will never have 250fps constant on all games unless your playing CS 1.6/source or other old games or spend £2000 on 4 graphics cards and build an insane desktop. There probably isn't a laptop out there that will do all games at 250fps.

Isn't 125fps the sweet spot that most people use, not that it matters :P

Right I see thanks.

Original post by CJKay
You're running a low-end processor with an integrated GPU.

You probably don't want to be looking at 250fps as, so far, there isn't a desktop out there that can do that at a reasonable resolution - never mind a laptop! 60fps is more reasonable. You're maybe looking at £500 for a mid-range laptop with a middle-of-the-road discrete GPU?

Good luck. :smile:

Oh right, thanks - will see though. This may be a silly question but is it possible to build a laptop, I know most people build their own pc..
Isn't 125fps the sweet spot that most people use, not that it matters :P

Right I see thanks.

Oh right, thanks - will see though. This may be a silly question but is it possible to build a laptop, I know most people build their own pc..

I promise you the standard "sweet spot" is 60fps. If your hardcore you might get a 120hz or even 144hz monitor and then you can run at 120 / 144 fps. This isn't possible on a laptop afaik.

I don't know of a way of building it yourself but there are websites that can do it for you and you choose the parts you want. You can get a SERIOUS machine for the same price as an underpowered ultrabook/mac. It will just be much bulkier and heavier and have 30 seconds battery life :biggrin:
Reply 13
I promise you the standard "sweet spot" is 60fps. If your hardcore you might get a 120hz or even 144hz monitor and then you can run at 120 / 144 fps. This isn't possible on a laptop afaik.

I don't know of a way of building it yourself but there are websites that can do it for you and you choose the parts you want. You can get a SERIOUS machine for the same price as an underpowered ultrabook/mac. It will just be much bulkier and heavier and have 30 seconds battery life :biggrin:

LOL.

But for games such as Starcraft II and the occasional cod4 promod, you need much more fps than 60.

I didn't think it was possible on a laptop..
Reply 14
LOL.

But for games such as Starcraft II and the occasional cod4 promod, you need much more fps than 60.

I managed diamond 1v1 with about 35fps in SC2. I think 60fps is nice, but you don't need it.
LOL.

Well those games are quite old so just turn vsync off and the framerate will probably be like 100-300. You'd just need a dedicated gpu.
Reply 16
If you need more than about 35fps for sc2 you're simply bad.
Reply 17
Well those games are quite old so just turn vsync off and the framerate will probably be like 100-300. You'd just need a dedicated gpu.

She won't get anywhere near that kind of FPS without a top mobile GPU, not unless she uses some kind of texture mod.
Reply 18
Original post by Caedus
I managed diamond 1v1 with about 35fps in SC2. I think 60fps is nice, but you don't need it.

But the resolution and graphics have to be really low to get good fps - which sucks :/

vsync is more comical if anything, but will turn it off - thanks for the rec.
Laptops in general are bad for gaming. you can get a moderately good gaming desktop for around 500 pounds. For a gaming laptop on the other hand you are looking at almost double.

I had a acer "gaming" laptop a while back. It had good specs but dear god was it ****!

Latest