The Student Room Group

Nose job on the NHS?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Severe anxiety and psychological stress isn't purely cosmetic.

Yeah okay whatever, the fact is you most likely aren't going to get it on the NHS anyway because you really only get a nose job on it if you have breathing problems etc
Hmmm. My boyfriend says this, he thinks I see things that aren't there. Every time a photo is taken of me I will spend ages pulling it apart and focusing on my nose.

II don't think my confidence can be lifted because I like everything except my damn nose. I really feel it's ruining my life

Most people don't look perfect, or exactly how they want to, and look at pictures and think they'd be so much more attractive if it weren't for one thing. That's normal, but you seem to have just taken it further and thought about it more, so now you can't stop it affecting your life significantly. That sort of thing can be reversed if you try, and would be made easier if you saw a counsellor.

I understand if you decide to go for surgery, but I'm not sure it will solve all your problems.
For all those people telling her to live with it, or just get over it, do you think she would be posting here if she hadn't already tried that? Right, rant over.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. I felt exactly the same as you. I was teased for years about my nose (far too long, bulbous tip, deviated septum) to the extent that I developed depression, and didn't want to leave the house or go to social events. There are people posting on here who also don't like their nose, but say that they still get on with their life. That's great for them. The human mind is a bonkers thing, and people react differently to everything. So these people can't apply 'what works for them' or 'just get over it' to your scenario. Equally, I can't apply mine, but I thought I'd tell you about mine so you had someone backing you up.

When I was 18, and about to head to university, my hate for my nose became so bad that I genuinely considered not going to university. I couldn't bear the idea of being in social events, and had no self confidence. My parents could not afford to pay for surgery, and unfortunately the NHS really are very picky about offering rhinoplasty unless it is for medical reasons. Which, I actually do believe is fair enough. The whole, woman getting breast jobs for cosmetic reasons on the NHS, seems crazy to me, but I don't think there are actually that many cases of it happening. The media tends to blow things out of proportion.

As a student, I couldn't get a medical loan. However, I managed to persuade my parents to take out the financial payment spreading thing. (Sorry, it's got a proper name, and I will check for you!) Basically, you go private, and instead of paying the (roughly £3000 - £4500) for the surgery upfront, you agree to pay back a certain amount each month. Some private companies will charge interest on this, others won't (or will charge a lot less) so make sure you look around carefully. It had to be in my parents name because I was a student, and had very limited credit history. BUT, I paid my parents the money each month, so they didn't have to pay anything.

So, I had the surgery. Then paid my parents £300 each month. This is a lot of money. But I was so desperate by this point, and there was nothing else I wanted to spend money on more than the operation. I worked hard for the money, in a part time job. It did take almost two years to pay all the money back, but I'm so glad I did.

So, I know your parents say they don't want to be involved, but if it really is affecting you this badly, then maybe you should suggest this to them? They won't have to pay anything, and presumably they trust you to give them the money.

Another thing I want to add (and again it might not be the same for everyone) having the surgery did not completely change my life. Or my nose. You have to be realistic about the outcome. Don't forget you have an underlying bone structure that can only be changed so much. Also, people seem not to realise that after surgery you are left with swelling, and quite often, scar tissue. The latter may or may not go away. If it settles in a bad place, it can make your nose look wonky. Or if in the tip, make it look big. I was left with scar tissue, in my tip, but generally speaking my nose is much better than it was before. So it was worth it. Just keep your expectations realistic, and make you sure you see a number of surgeons before you settle on one. It's not necessarily wise to go with the first one you see.

Hope this helps, sorry it was so long and rambling! Good luck with whatever you decide to do :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BeeHappy
For all those people telling her to live with it, or just get over it, do you think she would be posting here if she hadn't already tried that? Right, rant over.

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. I felt exactly the same as you. I was teased for years about my nose (far too long, bulbous tip, deviated septum) to the extent that I developed depression, and didn't want to leave the house or go to social events. There are people posting on here who also don't like their nose, but say that they still get on with their life. That's great for them. The human mind is a bonkers thing, and people react differently to everything. So these people can't apply 'what works for them' or 'just get over it' to your scenario. Equally, I can't apply mine, but I thought I'd tell you about mine so you had someone backing you up.

When I was 18, and about to head to university, my hate for my nose became so bad that I genuinely considered not going to university. I couldn't bear the idea of being in social events, and had no self confidence. My parents could not afford to pay for surgery, and unfortunately the NHS really are very picky about offering rhinoplasty unless it is for medical reasons. Which, I actually do believe is fair enough. The whole, woman getting breast jobs for cosmetic reasons on the NHS, seems crazy to me, but I don't think there are actually that many cases of it happening. The media tends to blow things out of proportion.

As a student, I couldn't get a medical loan. However, I managed to persuade my parents to take out the financial payment spreading thing. (Sorry, it's got a proper name, and I will check for you!) Basically, you go private, and instead of paying the (roughly £3000 - £4500) for the surgery upfront, you agree to pay back a certain amount each month. Some private companies will charge interest on this, others won't (or will charge a lot less) so make sure you look around carefully. It had to be in my parents name because I was a student, and had very limited credit history. BUT, I paid my parents the money each month, so they didn't have to pay anything.

So, I had the surgery. Then paid my parents £300 each month. This is a lot of money. But I was so desperate by this point, and there was nothing else I wanted to spend money on more than the operation. I worked hard for the money, in a part time job. It did take almost two years to pay all the money back, but I'm so glad I did.

So, I know your parents say they don't want to be involved, but if it really is affecting you this badly, then maybe you should suggest this to them? They won't have to pay anything, and presumably they trust you to give them the money.

Another thing I want to add (and again it might not be the same for everyone) having the surgery did not completely change my life. Or my nose. You have to be realistic about the outcome. Don't forget you have an underlying bone structure that can only be changed so much. Also, people seem not to realise that after surgery you are left with swelling, and quite often, scar tissue. The latter may or may not go away. If it settles in a bad place, it can make your nose look wonky. Or if in the tip, make it look big. I was left with scar tissue, in my tip, but generally speaking my nose is much better than it was before. So it was worth it. Just keep your expectations realistic, and make you sure you see a number of surgeons before you settle on one. It's not necessarily wise to go with the first one you see.

Hope this helps, sorry it was so long and rambling! Good luck with whatever you decide to do :-)

Thank you this is a brilliant post. Yeah people don't seem to realise that it upsets me so much :frown:
Thank you this is a brilliant post. Yeah people don't seem to realise that it upsets me so much :frown:

Glad to have helped :-)
The only reason Josie got the free boob job wasn't just because it affected her confidence, there was something wrong with her tissue so she couldn't develop, which lead to low confidence which lead to depression. You have a normal healthy nose, so no I don't think they would even consider it. Nobody is perfect, just let it go :I
Only reason NHS will do it is if they see it's effecting your life in a dire way in terms of depression. If you go and talk to them and act very convincingly depressed, they will do it for you. Good luck acting.
How old are you? It sometimes take time to accept yourself, plus nose does add character to you...

I find it annoying how people have to change themselves to be more pretty and confident. Once you change it when you look at the mirror is it still going to feel like you're looking at yourself?
I mean if I changed one feature on my face (that I'm not fond of), I would feel that person is no longer me. My mum made me, God created me this way (I believe everyone is beautiful in the eye of god), why would I need to change myself?

Anyway this is just my perspective, I think you should really think about it...
Some of these replies are horrendous. I too have a mistaken nose which I hated for years and had someBullying about it but I have learned to live with it now. But recently discovered i can’t breatbe through my left nostril at all and am considering visiting my gp for advice. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted to feel you again xxxx
NSH I am 16 and all my life I have had people tell me how big my nose is and taking the mic out of it I hate it so much it’s just so big I 100% want it to change but the only thing is I do not have the money at all for it. I get it everyday someone says something I get rejected by boys people I don’t even know say stuff I feel really *****y about myself I hate meeting new people because I feel like they will judge me I just really want one done it causes me depression and I cry a lot i down load plastic surgery apps to see how I could shape my knows to make it look better I just really want it to change not just for everyone else but especially for me I know it will give me more confidence if I have it done.
mine's very wonky too and im having rhinoplasty on the NHS, waiting for an appointment but its because the position of my bone makes it difficult to breathe through my nose but that's a medical thing apart from just the look of it too so that's why im getting mine on the NHS otherwise, im not too sure, sorry. :redface:
my nose looks just like this but NHS will do nothing
Just been admitted into hospital as the NHS had realised i had deviated septum. So I have had septoplasty in order to fix this, the only issue is that i have a hump on my nose which im really concerned about. I would love for it to not be there but cant pay the £7000. I have a follow up appointment in 4 weeks approx, what should i say to the doctor?
Reply 53
I broke my nose and i had operation on nhs but they coudnt even put back my nose properly back to position if you want proper nose operation go to turkey maya hospital they doing very good job and not to expensive like uk
How rude
I might do this thank you

I'm glad for you. For me it really gets me down. I'm sorry you also feel your nose is bad but I'm glad it does not bother you

Original post by TeenRose29
mine's very wonky too and im having rhinoplasty on the NHS, waiting for an appointment but its because the position of my bone makes it difficult to breathe through my nose but that's a medical thing apart from just the look of it too so that's why im getting mine on the NHS otherwise, im not too sure, sorry. :redface:

Did you have septorhinoplasty? I know this was 11 months ago lol. I have ent appointment next week. I broke my nose in Feb. My nasal bones go to one side and makes my nose look like a c shape and my septum is caved in.
Original post by Exciting95135
Did you have septorhinoplasty? I know this was 11 months ago lol. I have ent appointment next week. I broke my nose in Feb. My nasal bones go to one side and makes my nose look like a c shape and my septum is caved in.

yup, super late reply but yeah the procedure is called a septorhinoplasty. I hope your appointment went well :smile:
Idk about that person but why don’t you consider not being selfish? Not everything’s about you? Not everyone will react the same way as you? I have had my own nose pain for years, and been bullied over it since primary school.... times where people made me feel like there was nothing for me because of the way my nose looks. Ik it may sound stupid but it gets to you after years. Especially the pain from my nose bridge/sides and not to mention I have minimal breathing through my nose x

Quick Reply

Latest