The Student Room Group

TSR Christian Society (X-SOC) Episode IV: A New Hope

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aula

Also, adoration in a circus tent is a bit of an experience :mmm:

:jebus: :ahee: :colone:
:colone:
I think an avy change is in order, one year seems about right :tongue:

Quick question, did anyone catch S3 of Rev. this year?

[obligatory swooning over Miles Jupp]
Reply 3803
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

Rev :love:

I particularly loved the Easter episode. Thought it was very powerful.
Original post by Aula

That was absolutely lovely, the finales always have a way of making me cry. Slightly miss having Ben Willbond hanging around, he gave a nice character to the paritioners.

I think episode 4 was my favourite one although Colin and his fundraising via drug money was perfect :lol:

Last 2 seasons the AV Club did an ep by ep review but this time just a summary - It's well worth a read though: http://www.avclub.com/review/revs-remarkable-third-season-contemplates-difficul-205719
(edited 9 years ago)
I need help finding a read the old testament in one year plan that I can follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I need help finding a read the old testament in one year plan that I can follow.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you have the YouVersion Bible app? That has loads of plans on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarah Bethany
Do you have the YouVersion Bible app? That has loads of plans on it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK yeah I do have that app. I will check out the plans now:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've being doing this one: http://www.esv.org/assets/pdfs/rp.esv.study.bible.pdf

(It's for the whole bible, but if you only want to do the OT, just leave out the fourth reading for each day.)
I want to know God. Help?
Original post by fluteflute
I've being doing this one: http://www.esv.org/assets/pdfs/rp.esv.study.bible.pdf

(It's for the whole bible, but if you only want to do the OT, just leave out the fourth reading for each day.)

Should I start from the first of January or from the 26th August?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hellokittymad
I want to know God. Help?

Hello! :smile: Could you elaborate a bit more about this desire and your background, so we know how to advise you further? :smile: Just coz there's no point me blabbing on about intercession of the saints if you're Protestant or Orthodox, for example :tongue:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Hello! :smile: Could you elaborate a bit more about this desire and your background, so we know how to advise you further? :smile: Just coz there's no point me blabbing on about intercession of the saints if you're Protestant or Orthodox, for example :tongue:

I'm not sure what I am if I'm honest, I want to know God and I go to a pentecostal church but don't feel connected there and want a personal relationship with God, does that help?
I'm not sure what I am if I'm honest, I want to know God and I go to a pentecostal church but don't feel connected there and want a personal relationship with God, does that help?

Ah OK, that's enough information to go on :smile:

I'd recommend a few things:

1) Church hopping, to see if you can find somewhere where you feel more at home
2) Reading a little bit of the Bible each day, just so you get more familiar with the key ideas, etc.
3) Set aside a short amount of time each day to devote to just talk to God. Personal relationships rely on communication and I've personally benefitted from seeing the relationship with God as less formal and structured, and more as a conversation :smile:

Just some thoughts. Not sure why I'm recommending things that I don't do myself, but there you go :colondollar:
Ah OK, that's enough information to go on :smile:

I'd recommend a few things:

1) Church hopping, to see if you can find somewhere where you feel more at home
2) Reading a little bit of the Bible each day, just so you get more familiar with the key ideas, etc.
3) Set aside a short amount of time each day to devote to just talk to God. Personal relationships rely on communication and I've personally benefitted from seeing the relationship with God as less formal and structured, and more as a conversation :smile:

Just some thoughts. Not sure why I'm recommending things that I don't do myself, but there you go :colondollar:

Thank you (: I'm going to uni in September and me and my friend are going to hunt for a church then and she's a Christian so is totally understanding.
Thank you (: I'm going to uni in September and me and my friend are going to hunt for a church then and she's a Christian so is totally understanding.

That sounds very promising! Just remember that you're not committing to anything or any particular denomination by just showing an interest. Don't let anyone at uni brainwash you or pressure you into any particular society or church or belief system :nah:
Should I start from the first of January or from the 26th August?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think 1st January would be best (that's what I did - I started around this time last year)
Original post by fluteflute
I think 1st January would be best (that's what I did - I started around this time last year)

Cool:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even better if you can find a friend to do it as well, so you can encourage each other :smile:

I know someone who after reading each day tried to write down each day something they'd learnt about God and something they'd learnt about themselves. I haven't done that, but seems like a good idea to me...
Reply 3819
Original post by IMakeSenseToNone

OOOO Yes! I did! Loved it! :biggrin:

Original post by Aula

^ This! I re-watched the bit where God (Liam Neeson) spoke to him - so moving :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of interest, why do you want to read it in a year? It would be quite rushed - mightn't it be better to read a little bit at a time and have more time to think about it? Also, I'd really recommend reading complete books beginning to end as their writers wrote them. I was talking to a friend of mine recently who's an evangelical missionary, and he was complaining about how his Church often makes the mistake of choosing a topic their comfortable with, like 'discipleship' and cherry picking verses they like and not reading books through as the writer intended. Best read books from beginning to end to really get a feel for the story and the whole sweep of the theology :smile: That's just my top tip - my favourite theology lecturer got us all to read Genesis from start to finish as he thinks it's an incredible book in its own right, and you can get a great deal of insight by reading the latter parts with the start in mind.

I think Orthodox do believe in intercession, just protestants that don't :wink:

TLG's already given some good advice, so I'll almost repeat that :smile:

1.) Completely agree, finding a church is really important, especially if you meet other people your own age :smile: I went to two Anglican Churches and an Orthodox one at Durham. You could also try the CU, though they are always a very niche brand of Christianity, so it's no bother if you aren't comfortable there, there are always people outside the CU at many of the higher Churches if that's where you feel comfortable.

2.) I'd really recommend reading one of the gospels, even if you've read them before. Maybe Matthew, or John if you want more Theology. Christ is the best way to experience God in the Bible. I should read the Bible more too..

3.) I just agree with TLG on the prayer part - prayer is very important - I should remember it more often to be honest :unsure:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending