The Student Room Group

aqa A-level chemistry retake help - always getting a C

Hi guys,

so to make this simple this is what i got:

CHEM1 - C after 2 retakes.
CHEM2 - C after 2 retakes
CHEM4 - C
CHEM5 - B

So, my question is, how do you get an A/B in chemistry A-level. I tried to revise differently to improve my grades which clearly didnt work, so I need a new strategy. I just dont know why I cant do better. When I did these exams, I read the text book several times, made notes for each module, revised these notes thoroughly and then did past papers for each and every year, as well as the really old past papers. I scored A/B's in all of these and got my teacher to mark to check I wasnt biased with my marking.

I am taking a gap year, and I really want to do better, with pure focus on chemistry. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!!!!!
Reply 1
Do past papers over and over and over again! Chemistry's more about practise. Do the Legacy papers first then do the recent papers, then repeat. I also did papers from WJEC as their syllabus is similar to that of AQA!
Make sure you time your self and try and recreate the exam setting when you do those past papers. I got a C the first time i did it because my exam technique was **** :/ i took a 3rd year at college and retook my A2 Chem exams and managed to bump my grade up to a B :smile: Though the ISA's were always my Achilles heel.
Original post by iluvmuzik52
Hi guys,

so to make this simple this is what i got:

CHEM1 - C after 2 retakes.
CHEM2 - C after 2 retakes
CHEM4 - C
CHEM5 - B

So, my question is, how do you get an A/B in chemistry A-level. I tried to revise differently to improve my grades which clearly didnt work, so I need a new strategy. I just dont know why I cant do better. When I did these exams, I read the text book several times, made notes for each module, revised these notes thoroughly and then did past papers for each and every year, as well as the really old past papers. I scored A/B's in all of these and got my teacher to mark to check I wasnt biased with my marking.

I am taking a gap year, and I really want to do better, with pure focus on chemistry. Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!!!!!

It sounds like you just aren't cut out for getting a higher grade. Not everyone is. If you are still getting a C on Chem1 after 2 retakes then that shows you don't really deserve much more. You'll just have to take it on the chin.
Reply 4
Why don't you ask for your exam papers back and look at them to see where you are not achieving the best mark?

You should also consider a personal tutor if you could afford it or ask your teacher if you can get extra help.
Reply 5
Original post by V95
Do past papers over and over and over again! Chemistry's more about practise. Do the Legacy papers first then do the recent papers, then repeat. I also did papers from WJEC as their syllabus is similar to that of AQA!

Im 7 ums off a B so is there a particular unit you suggest I should retake? How do you decide?
Reply 6
Original post by iluvmuzik52
Im 7 ums off a B so is there a particular unit you suggest I should retake? How do you decide?

I'd say defo retake unit 2 - it's probably the easiest unit out of them all, and doesn't require much revision if you are retaking chem4 (because chem2 is just an easier version and a lot of it overlaps). It also has the most marks available so it'll be your best bet
Wow, you got a B in chem 5 but not in chem 1/2?

Retake chem2, it's the easiest and worth the most amount of ums. Just do past paper after past paper and memorise definitions and answers to questions that are repeated every year
Reply 8
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Wow, you got a B in chem 5 but not in chem 1/2?

Retake chem2, it's the easiest and worth the most amount of ums. Just do past paper after past paper and memorise definitions and answers to questions that are repeated every year

Chem 5 I was 1 mark off an A! Lol I know I have it in me to get A/B and I think I will retake Chem 2 as well as Chem 4 thanks

Quick Reply

Latest